Maserati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to the forum and looking to purchase my first Maserati. I've decided on the GT but see a range of mileage on the options available...anywhere from 25k to 60k miles. Obviously, I'd prefer lower miles, but ngl, some of the deals on GTs with ~50k are tempting. Should I steer clear of these cars with higher mileage (~50k)? Or is 50k still considered low with these cars? Any tips on things to look for when purchasing a used GT? I've read about the sticky buttons issue and variator issues, which seems to be some of the more common issues.

Any info would be helpful and hope to be part of the Mas club soon.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Its all about how well it was cared for and that does not necessarily mean dealer service records. Many DIYers and Indy shops do far more thorough work. If it looks great, sounds great, steers great, stops great, smells great, etc consider it after you get someone to check it out if its not your domain. Carfax is hit or misss as plenty of repairs get done with $$$. Can't go wrong for 20K!!!

Reactions: DSGT

·
Registered
431 Posts
On the older ones, sometimes higher mileage can be better as the common issues such as cam variators will have been fixed. If it’s been properly taken care of, I wouldn’t be worried about higher miles. But definitely get a PPI done by someone who knows the cars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread… what about a 2013+ with 50k miles? It should be safe from the cam issue right? I would def get a PPI and I assume that would give me the info I need to identify if the engine is out of the build range of the cam issue

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to hijack the thread… what about a 2013+ with 50k miles? It should be safe from the cam issue right? I would def get a PPI and I assume that would give me the info I need to identify if the engine is out of the build range of the cam issue
No worries, we can make this the official discussion in regards to buying a pre-owned with mid-mileage. Personally, I was strictly looking at used with <40k but then asked myself why? So here we are...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Bought a car with 90k miles. It just had a major service, had all four corners replaced over time (bearings, dampers, springs, bushings). So basicly i bought a 90k old frame, engine and interior with max 20k old supsension/brakes.

Hasnt been without its maintenance though. Aircon compressor had to be replaced, cats died (probably due to old plugs, so could have been prevented).

·
Registered
2008 Maserati GranTurismo 4.2
23 Posts
Bought mine with around 67k and haven't regretted it (yet). I went for it because the previous owner added all the upgrades I would've done and corrected all the known issues (coolant hose, alternator, etc., with exception for the variators. Sticky buttons is actually a pretty simple diy fix. I'm close to going over the 70k mile mark and it's been great. As with anything, service history and repairs are key. Mine was well documented on VinWiki, as well.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Hey all, new to the forum and looking to purchase my first Maserati. I've decided on the GT but see a range of mileage on the options available...anywhere from 25k to 60k miles. Obviously, I'd prefer lower miles, but ngl, some of the deals on GTs with ~50k are tempting. Should I steer clear of these cars with higher mileage (~50k)? Or is 50k still considered low with these cars? Any tips on things to look for when purchasing a used GT? I've read about the sticky buttons issue and variator issues, which seems to be some of the more common issues.

Any info would be helpful and hope to be part of the Mas club soon.
Bought my 2013 GTS with 85K and now have 103,000. Sent the oil samples to Blackstone Lab and they said it looked like the wear from an engine with 47,00 miles on it. Sounds great runs great. Down the road we go!

·
Premium Member
2011 Granturismo S
72 Posts
I came from the Ferrari world and the cheapest Ferrari always seemed to turn out to be the most expensive one. So the plan was always "buy the best car you can afford"

·
Registered
581 Posts
Ferrari aren't built to roll long distances like the Maserati. Different car. Different purpose, different parts. Masi parts aren't stretched to tolerance limits like Ferrari

·
Registered
169 Posts
the cheapest of everything is always going to be the most expensive. Buy the cheapest maserati and you can be sure you will have a lot of issues. Buy the cheapest civic and you'll have the same thing.

·
Registered
2012 GTC Nero/Sabbia
394 Posts
the cheapest of everything is always going to be the most expensive. Buy the cheapest maserati and you can be sure you will have a lot of issues. Buy the cheapest civic and you'll have the same thing.
My grandma always said - "Poor people can't afford to buy cheap stuff" - she was right.

·
Registered
581 Posts
If you buy a car like this and go into the ownership experience KNOWING there WILL be some issues and have at least 5K ready at all times for those things you can't do, you will be OK. If you buy it on a shoe string budget, you will regret it and it will end up parked fading into history which is pretty sad. Assume it will take a year of ownership, 5K , and 5K miles to get it all sorted out back to full ideal function if that is your intent.

Reactions: MisterMaserati

·
Registered
51 Posts
I figured that my 08 QP didnt get 90,000 miles on it because it was a lemon. I do my own maintenance and havent had any major expense, other than new tires and sensors. I havent found anything falling apart because its old. I drive it 1000 miles per month.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,633 Posts

·
Registered
2009 GranTurismo S
52 Posts
Ferrari aren't built to roll long distances like the Maserati. Different car. Different purpose, different parts. Masi parts aren't stretched to tolerance limits like Ferrari
Newer Ferrari's maybe but not the older ones. I had a 308, they were built pretty solidly. Not the best workmanship back in the 70's but they are solid cars. BUT...I did buy a cheap one and it turned out to be quite spendy. But it all worked out in the end and I just about broke even after doing TONS of work to it and enjoying it for almost 12 years.

I ended up buying my '09 GT-S with over 50k miles but only after the PPI checked out well and after getting the list of things the seller had done to the car over the last couple years. Variators done, new clutch recently, new brakes.....and on and on. He put a lot of work and money into it so I can hopefully just enjoy it before putting much more into it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts