Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 2006 or 2007 Spyder purchase in the future. Does anyone know what will be new in the 2007 model? And when would a 2007 typically arrive?

I've heard all kinds of doubtful rumors: folding hartop, 500hp engine, etc. None seem reasonable to me, for a small company that's losing money.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i believe maserati will reveal the next spyder by the end of this year or early next year's major international autoshow.

it is hard to imagine they would have a brand new car ready as a 2007 Model Year car.
the rumors (folding hardtop, 500hp engine) seems reasonable to me.
folks on the board have been to the factory and got info on the uprated engine.

as a reference, the 2006 MY Gransport Spyders arrived at dealerships in Spring of 2006.

small company yes, but where are they losing money?
if anything, they are growing much quicker with the strong QP sales.

·
Registered
773 Posts
the future

take a look at the new alfa spyder, sharp! they are going to top that one, so our future looks good for spending $$ for maserati

·
Registered
835 Posts
DeaneG said:
...I've heard all kinds of doubtful rumors: folding hartop, 500hp engine, etc. None seem reasonable to me, for a small company that's losing money.
why not? 500hp is not too difficult to crank out. It is no longer a company of its own but a brand of FIAT just as Ferrari. not profitable does not equate to loosing money.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's just that we'll need an uprated transmission also, to handle more HP without even shorter clutch life. It took four years to move from 390HP to 400 - one year for 100 more??

Don't get me wrong, I'm fixin' to get a spyder, just wondering when.

So MY2006 spyders arrived in the spring of 2006? That's a long time to wait for a 2007 model!

·
Registered
681 Posts
DeaneG said:
It's just that we'll need an uprated transmission also, to handle more HP without even shorter clutch life. It took four years to move from 390HP to 400 - one year for 100 more??

So MY2006 spyders arrived in the spring of 2006? That's a long time to wait for a 2007 model!
Then buy a car current Spyder now and trade in for the next model when it's available? That's what I would do if I were you, just imagine how dissapointing it would be if you waited and then for some reason didn't like the new Spyder whether it be cosmetic or mechanical related decisions that Maserati made on the car.

The current engine is basically the same engine as the 500hp Ferrari F430, Maserati could easily push this motor to 500, but you can't have the Ferrari F430 a car that starts at $180k make the same amount of power as the 4200 which starts at less than $100k. If you have trouble believing 500hp is possible, you may want to do some research on what type of motor the 4200 carries.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
DeaneG said:

yes, MY 2006 GS spyders just arrived a few months ago at the dealers.

i don't understand your surprise on four years at 390-400hp and then one year for 100 more. you are talking a brand new design.
E36 M3's have the S52 engines at 240hp. one year later you get your E46 M3's with S54 engines at 333 hp, 93 more hp. anything wrong with that?

also it has to do with the competitors and marketing. at 400hp it is still higher than porsches and aston martin V8s; but no one will complaint if it is at 500hp (may be F430 owners will complaint).

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't mean to offend! Mercedes, etc probably have 10x the resources to spend on product development as Maserati, so I was trying to scale my expectations to what seemed reasonable.

Thanks for the advice!

Deane

1 - 8 of 8 Posts