Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a rare owner, I drive my car every day in all conditions, and I love it! These cars are made to be used in my humble opinion. It gives me no problems. 55,000 miles later I love it more than anything. For the past 4 years, there's only one thing I haven't been able to tackle. It started with the EPB warning light. Easy enough, I know with the right scanner that can be erased. But then it got worse. On the main computer in the middle - "Parking Brake System Revision" in addition to "Go to Dealer". What I'm told is this. That is a warning ONLY the Maserati scan tool can nullify. I took it to the dealer I'm there plenty for a variety of reasons. They tell me this is because my parking brake is completely shot. Well over $1,000 to fix. No clearing that message without the repair being done. I'm not usually stubborn, but, there's no use for a parking brake on an automatic car. I've read a lot about the system seizing up and causing major problems. I refuse to spend that kind of money on an independent system I don't believe in and do not want to use. I gladly drive my car in spite of this message.

Still, I would give my left arm to remove this code and see my central dashboard computer appear happy. If there's anyone out there who can give me the answer, I would be forever grateful. If not, no worries, small price to pay to enjoy the world's greatest driving experience all day, every day! Happy driving!

4,135 Posts
The dealer is correct if the EPB module has faults in it then it will need to be repaired properly to eliminate the warning light...You would need to check the wear on the parking shoes and possibly buy a used EPB to keep the cost down...Jason

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Jason! I was afraid of that but I appreciate the professional advice. A second opinion is really helpful. The shoes are definitely shot I can say the warning is accurate.

Would you mind telling me, if I replace the shoes will the warning reset by itself or will the dealer have to do that? I only ask because replacing the shoes is very easy I can do that in my garage but the scan tool I obviously do not have.

Incidentally I had a Jaguar XJS before I went into the Maserati and we have a Ferrari in the family as well. You're a useful person to know, we don't have experts like you where I live. Thanks again!

4,135 Posts
You can replace the shoes yourself, but you need to put the EPB module in service mode to get them adjusted correctly...I would install them and then have the dealer adjust them..

Cool...Honestly, I know Jaguar cars a lot better than I do a Maserati...There is a lot more of them to fix and I have fixed them for like 27 years.. Good Luck...J

·
Registered
26 Posts
...hmmm.. so is my car different in that my parking brake always sets when I put the car into Park (and switch off engine of course)? (Euro spec perhaps?) Have I missed something in the settings where (if I wanted to) I could switch off this setting?

"I'm not usually stubborn, but, there's no use for a parking brake on an automatic car ",
yep - in general, I would totally agree, but this is my first EPB car, and I do like knowing it won't roll that extra 4 or 5 inches onto the Park lock because the EPB always sets. Also, EPB exercise will hopefully prevent it seizing.... deluded much? :rolleyes:

My point is, unless there is a setting or spec difference, are you not stuck with an EPB regardless of whether you want it or not?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it is a good system and you are stuck. This is the nature of my error, the system doing its exact job. Its engaging and letting me know the pads aren't there. My pads are completely shot and I just don't see the point in replacing. It is very expensive and I just can't see the point since it is functionally a bit redundant in my humble option, in an automatic vehicle. I'd love to get rid of the message without enduring the $1300=$1500 cost, which I feel terrible saying. Not my normal approach at all. I believe deeply if you're going to own the car do the right thing. Follow the book. Use OEM. It's a hand built beauty. But this one baffles me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts