Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am wondering if anyone has any information on the forthcoming "new" automatic transmission and other changes for the 2007 QP. I have a 2005 QP, which is, imho, one of the most unique and most entertaining big sedans ever made. I don't know what a conventional automatic will accomplish other than surely increase sales of the QP as it will appeal more to people currently driving Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, and other premium marque sedans. I hope the introduction of the automatic will not hurt the values of current QP's, which I don't think as the DuoSelect is unique and capable. What are your thoughts? Maybe someone "in-the-know" has some more info on the "new" QP. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
909 Posts
As far as I know there is no official news either way on its development, or timetable, or even if it will really happen.

I personally see it either being released at the same time as the new coupe, or not at all. I have a feeling they may try to keep some purity without it, but we'll see.

- Mark

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm sure things are unsettled given the change in alliance from Ferrari to Alfa, plus the current models are selling well and being well received by the automotive press.

Still it's annoying to have the feeling that Maserati's content to rest on its laurels serving up end of run models like the GranSport Spyder and MCV.

It's nice to have an expanding customer base but you also need to give them reason to stay with you when they look for replacement purchases. All the confusion about the coupe/spyder replacement - it's gonna be a shortened QP with a V-8 - it's gonna be an Alfa V-6 - just adds to the likelihood that the next purchase will be from Porsche, Mercedes, or BMW.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
it seems like all signs point to a 07 with a 4.8L V8 470-500hp mated to an AT.
will they offer the DS with 4.2 400hp or 470 hp? hard to tell. it would be a very good way to piss of the 06 QP Sport GT owners if they offer 470hp DS.

end of model runs... well, you forgot the 'entry level' base Coupe GT, as well as those annoying no so "limited edition" GS with some emblems and packaged options.

i do want to see they strip it even further to a SuperSport (!?) or a Trofeo Stradale (!!) as a true limited edition model.

i agree that the lack of info on the future models might be stressful for those who want to trade up. but i would not see how someone will easily go back to MB or BMW (may be Glenn, if they piss him off some more).

now, as for the whole brand, i am more optimistic.

·
Registered
530 Posts
i agree that the lack of info on the future models might be stressful for those who want to trade up. but i would not see how someone will easily go back to MB or BMW (may be Glenn, if they piss him off some more).
Although I love the car i haven't drunk the kool aid yet. Yes the styling is beautiful, and the performance is stunning, but to be realistic 400 HP and 4.9 0-60 is middle of the pack. If other manufacturers continue development while Maserati stands pat either out of disorganization or disinterest/self-satisfaction, you'd better believe I'd be back behind the wheel of one of their offerings in a heartbeat.

I'm also a little concerned lest Glenn's experience, at least on the dealer level become more of the norm as demand rises. I can't say much for one of the two dealers here.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I basically agree with all of your replies, however, I am also very optimistic about the future of the Maserati brand. Will its new association with Alfa "water it down"? I don't think so. Maserati should know by now exactly what it is, so should FIAT. Maserati will never be a Ferrari, nor will it be a Alfa Romeo, those are all distinctive marques by themselves. Maserati's competency lies with GT vehicles and saloons. It's price sweetspot is somewhere around $ 100 - $ 120. This certainly is a highly competitive segment and Maserati, but I believe the current products are well placed and deliver. There always will be higher output, better handling, faster accelerating cars on the market then Maserati's, however, Maserati is so much more - some if it very intangible.

I, personally, are very content with the gear selection on the current QP's, but am aware that if someone is looking for smooth automatic operation he can be disappointed by the DuoSelect. It does take some feel and practice to get it right. If you press the car though, there is no better transmission out there. Look at the BMW SMG - far worse than the DuoSelect, or the F1 by Ferrari for that matter.

Conclusion: I think an automatic is a good choice for people who do not want to be involved in the driving experience like the DuoSelect demands. For people "trading up" from MB's, BMW's, Jag's, or the like, an automatic is a good choice. I just think an automatic is not what the brand, Maserati, is about. For Maserati to make money through selling QP's with auto and in turn being able to offer more cars honest to it's heritage and brand - go for it. I do not believe the association with Alfa is all bad, done right it can be positive for everyone. Just think about it this way. Alfa will have more dealers than Ferrari does in the US and around the world. I understand Maserati's will be sold through Alfa dealerships in the future, which will guarantee easier access to service departments for Maserati owners in the US, hopefully.

Sorry for the length, couldn't gather my thoughts in a more efficent way. Curious about your thoughts though!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thiw week's Autoweek:

"The decision to return Alfa Romeo to the North American market stems from a strategic plan laid out by parent company Fiat, which aims for a close alignment with Maserati. The plan calls for Alfa Romeo and Maserati to develop new models using common components to lower costs, speed development and improve profitability.
Alfa Romeo 147

Under an earlier plan, Maserati was aligned with Ferrari, but that was abandoned last year when it became apparent that developing Maserati models to the same standards used at Ferrari proved too expensive for Maserati’s volume ambitions. By grouping Alfa Romeo and Maserati together, Fiat hopes to have finally found a complementary pairing."

I might be alittle concerned over the implications of this.......not sure though.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Karl,

That's terrific information, thank you very much!

Do you have any similar data on the next Spyder?

Deane

·
Registered
909 Posts
Some additional solid information regarding Alfa's return to the US came out today; They will build 500 of the carbon fiber bodied 8c for 2008, with half coming to the US. Expect a price tag over $200,000. The 8c spider should follow in 2009 with an additional 500 worldwide, with the volume models following in 2010 or 2011 through the 47 Maserati dealerships.

Rumors persist of the Maserati 4.2L V8 being either turbocharged or supercharged, but I think its unlikely.

- Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
hello karl,
welcome and thanks for the insider info. i guess the AT vs DS ratio of 75:25 will somehow translate to solidifying resale value of (rarer) DS models.

mark, the 8c looks great! time to start saving for the $200k...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts