Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Wow... hope it's the real thing. You never really know until the formal unveiling.

·
Registered
660 Posts
IMHO, I do still prefer the Giugaro styling... of the photos I've seen so far, it looks as a 2-door QP... shame. But then, the new in-house designer hired by Maserati (Frank Stephenson) is not in great terms with Italdesign, hence the style change.

Not that I dislike the QP, not at all, but a bit of variety would be great, rather than cloning designs.

Bummer...

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Disappointing, personally. Looks like a 2 door sedan, not a GT. I like the current look better, but to each his own.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sure that's not just a photochopped QP?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
and i was complaining that Pininfarina was lazy and just used Giugiaro's brera coupe design and change it to their Pininfarina designed Alfa Romeo Spider.

This is their laziest design.
(and jeremy clarkson was complaining about porsche designers re: 997 design)
may be they got carried away doing all the coachbuilding work like that P4/5

i think anything other than repeating the styling of the QP would be a sexy maserati.
you know, it's like you see a sexy 20-something year old girl, and her teenage sister just trys to copy her style. not sexy.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think with this new GT-style coupe, Maserati intends to enter the booming six-figure coupe market currently occupied by Bentley Continental GT, Aston Martin DB 9 and the recently launched Mercedes CL-Class.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Anthony said:
I think with this new GT-style coupe, Maserati intends to enter the booming six-figure coupe market currently occupied by Bentley Continental GT, Aston Martin DB 9 and the recently launched Mercedes CL-Class.

I think so too. My mechanic said the coupe will be a foot longer and a heck of a lot softer ride. So Im expecting something to rival the bentley.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Here's a few more shots from AutoExpress.

The narrative says "The GT is a 2+2-seater, said to be much roomier than its predecessor thanks to a longer wheelbase - barely shorter than that of the Quattroporte'

If it looks like the QP and is "barely shorter" than the QP what's the point?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hope the new spyder is shorter than that rumored coupe (doesn't seem likely). Part of the attraction of today's spyder is that it's a tidy car which will fit in my garage (workbench/tool cabinets take up 2ft in front of car, plus room to work).

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
DeaneG said:
Hope the new spyder is shorter than that rumored coupe (doesn't seem likely). Part of the attraction of today's spyder is that it's a tidy car which will fit in my garage (workbench/tool cabinets take up 2ft in front of car, plus room to work).
i have not heard people buy a shorter car to fit their garage....
aren't most garage standard size to fit an average size car with room to spare?

in anycase, some of the older spy pics of the possible spyder have a shorter wheelbase than the (spy pics of the) coupe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hope the new spyder is a proper 2 plus 2 - why does nobody do a decent sized 2 plus 2 convertible sports car? There must be a market

·
Registered
742 Posts
Its just a shortened QP

I like the lines on the current coupe better. They seem more aggressive. Of course I have to see and drive the new model, but it looks just like a shortened QP...

I was hoping for something vexy sexy and aggressive. More Ferrari or GT inspired than QP inspired.

CM

·
Registered
909 Posts
Well, I just met with our rep, and he told us he has seen the new coupe. He couldn't really tell us what it looks like, but pointed to some historical cars for styling cues. I showed him the pictures we have been floating around on the boards here, and he laughed and said they weren't even close.

We'll see if thats true or not, but apparently he agrees with our comments on this car.

- Mark

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mark, the new coupe doesn't look like the QP then???

I'm confused, there are alot of pictures floating around on the new coupe that make it look like a two door QP. Did your rep say it's not going to look like a two door QP at all???

Zearnold

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
that's what he says.

which historical cars are those? A6 GCS by pininfarina probably.
it does look like the covers on the spy pics sport a low oversize grille.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just talk to head guy at F/M houston and he told me that the car will look like the Qaud but shorter and the final design of the front of the car is still under work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts