Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maserati's all-new GT coupe won't make its debut until the 2007 Geneva Motor Show and but it has been caught here testing. One of the cars snapped looks as if it's a four-door, but the 'handles' and rear 'doors' are just faked to distract onlookers. The four-door-alike does remind us of one fact about the new GT and Spyder, though: they will be based on a shortened version of the platform of the latest Quattroporte saloon.The GT is a 2+2-seater, said to be much roomier than its predecessor thanks to a longer wheelbase - barely shorter than that of the Quattroporte - and redesigned suspension and transmission. It will have double-wishbone suspension with the Skyhook adaptive damping system, and the rear-mounted Cambiocorsa clutchless gearbox, as used in the Quattroporte; power will come from the Ferrari-developed 5.0-litre V8, derived from the current car's 4.2-litre unit and with new cylinder heads and induction system to give an estimated 470bhp. The Spyder, which will be launched slightly later in the year, will also be offered with the 4.2 V8 engine. The Spyder will, for the first time, have a folding metal hard top which will retract down to behind the seats.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/country/ecf/spyphotoID/6060711.001

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I totally agree. After 5 to 6 years that is all they could come up with. Very unimaginative. I think the car in the photoshop pictures looked more aggressive. I was waiting for the new coupe to come out so I could trade mine in but now looks like it is going be Aston Martin DB9.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
yes, if it were just a shorten QP or, DuePorte as I will start to call this... then it is very unimaginative. certainly the QP chassis is very good. i guess for them the excitement would be the new engine and the retractable hardtop over the existing product.

i am sure that Pininfarina was given the opportunity to draw up a few DP and was presented to Maserati / Fiat.

you wonder who will now be their competitors with this.... the field is quite crowded now... you got your usual 911 (997), SL, XR, and new competitors such as the M6 and V8 Vantage.

now, did everyone remember the rumors that the coupe/spyder development was hold back and then transferred back to Ferrari as the next Dino? may be all the imaginative development went there?
i was extremely hopeful that there will be a crossplatform product:
Ferrari Dino, Maserati Coupe/Spyder/GS, Alfa Romeo 8c.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Find it hard to believe that's the new coupe. Aside from the fake rear doors the body styling hardly differs from the present QP.

I prefer to think it's a mule testing out the new chassis and engine.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Add about 75-100hp to the current Coupe, voila you have a winner. The 4200 looks perfect in my opinion, they should leave asthetics alone.

·
Registered
278 Posts
New coupe in Geneva

according to wbaeumer on another forum - who seems well informed reading earlier posts - Maserati will indeed introduce the new Coupe in Geneve (March 8-18th 2007) and not in Paris (October 2007) as believed earlier....wbaemer has seen the car but is not allowed to give details....he did state the above foto's are not the new coupe. According to him (in several posts). "I saw official photos and was stunned by what I saw! A REAL great car! I was told that the car on those pics is over 90% developed.The new car refers to the beautiful A6GCS Pininfarina Coupe (not the A6GCS-barchetta!) from the 50ies. In particular the nose section around the grill will be an element of that car. But be sure that the new car will get a modern design and only details are refering to the old car. Everything else would be nonsens! Propably the negative welding of the front-grille will be one of that features the new car gets. Got the info today, that it will get front-mid-engine layout! This means it will get a loooong bonnet! So, look at the great 60ies/70ies Supercars..........".

Some talk about a 4,7 motor ( a classic Maserati displavement Indy, Bora, Mexico...) that thanks to higher redline (7.800-8.000? so NOT ferrari redline territory) and improvements would make close to 500Hp.....

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Anthony said:
This is the official picture of the new coupe posted in Italiaspeed.
lol. this 'official picture' is not official, buddy.
it has been on Italiaspeed for may be TWO or more years.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Looks like crap. GS is muuuuuuuuuch better looking!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Anthony said:
Looks damn close to the spy photo tp me, buddy.
it's funny you are not paying too much attention.
JGT already mentioned that wbaeumer (supposedly has reliable source) on Fchat stated that the pictures that has been around does not look like the real car.

in any case, how did you manage to believe that picture you got from italiaspeed is anything "official"?

as i mentioned, that picture has been on italiaspeed for a good couple of years.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The spy pictures are showing a prototype during road testing in Germany a few weeks ago. Also in Maserati’s home base Maranello more and more test cars are being sighted that looks like a shortened version of QP.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Anthony said:
The spy pictures are showing a prototype during road testing in Germany a few weeks ago. Also in Maserati’s home base Maranello more and more test cars are being sighted that looks like a shortened version of QP.
let's see.... didn't we see also some spy pics of the Porsche Panamera in shells of a cayenne? http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphot...gcf/porsche/first-porsche-panamera-spy-photos

or 928S4's just those few weeks? http://news.windingroad.com/?p=897

or in the shell of an BMW M5? http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphot...Porsche/porsche-panamera-prototype-spy-photos

or bentley SUV under the skin of porsche cayenne?

the point is, the test mules can be under any skin or camouflage.

Yes, it is most likely to be a shortened QP platform.
Some more reliable sources claims that it does not look like a shortened QP.
That's the most recent info we've got.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Do we know which motor the Alfa 8C is going to get? I read some articles saying they dropped a version of the Maserati V8 and will put a new Maserati-Ferrari co-develloped 4.7 in it? That could be our next motor? (and the one for an upcoming F480) Well we know shortly since the 8C is supposedly introduced in Paris after summer correct?

So 4.7 V8 - Alfa 8C 440hp - Maserati 470Hp (very close to current F430 though!) and the new F480 550Hp. Problem is that they would lag the competition Lambo is at 550 already, M5/E63 are above 500 already. However the 997TT, Astons and Audi's are below 500 also. Maybe Ferrari goes to a V10 and then they are not putting a ceiling on Maserati at 470 but then there are far less benefits of scale for the new V8.....Maybe a Ferrari Dino V8 and the F500 a V10?????

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
maserati of minneapolis said:
A while ago, when there was rumors that Maserati was testing a V12 for the QP, it was actually a porsche panamera test mule..
where did you read this??

from what i remembered, these "V12 QP" spy pics were at least a year+ ago (way before any of these new panamera test mule pics). Further, it had even a more elongated wheelbase (especially in front of the A pillar) compare to the current QP. this does not match the proportions of the mules of the reported panamera under the Cayenne or M5 or 928S4 skin.

·
Registered
160 Posts
End of Coupe GT/GS???

JGT said:
Do we know which motor the Alfa 8C is going to get? I read some articles saying they dropped a version of the Maserati V8 and will put a new Maserati-Ferrari co-develloped 4.7 in it? That could be our next motor? (and the one for an upcoming F480) Well we know shortly since the 8C is supposedly introduced in Paris after summer correct?
According to:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/66750/alfas_great_8_show.html

New Alfa 8C will have "will have an all-new Maserati V8, with at least 400bhp". It will be priced close to £100K == US$100K+. With Maserati now part of Alfa Group, this car pose a direct threat to the existing coupe sales. So I think, this spells an end to the current line of Coupe GT/GS for Maserati. The question is whether Maserati will chase after the $150K+ AM DB9 market?

Alfa Romeo's 8C coupe

1 - 20 of 26 Posts