Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the LA area, and one car I am considering is a new 06 Grand Sport Spyder, fully equipped (MSRP $113,000.00). It would be my daily driver (about 18,000 miles a year), and I will keep it for 4-5 years. I am not concerned about high miles 5 years from now. Is this car a very good daily driver? ( I have always driven 6 speeds and will need to get used to the F1).
Is the car reliable, and how much will my yearly maintenance costs be?
(I am also considering an 02 Ferrari 360 Spyder with 3500 miles, but I am being told that it is just crazy to drive the 360 18k a year because I will spend a young fortune in service, and the 360 costs 70k more than the GS)
Any and all input about life with this car will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
191 Posts
RonnieC6Z said:
I live in the LA area, and one car I am considering is a new 06 Grand Sport Spyder, fully equipped (MSRP $113,000.00). It would be my daily driver (about 18,000 miles a year), and I will keep it for 4-5 years. I am not concerned about high miles 5 years from now. Is this car a very good daily driver? ( I have always driven 6 speeds and will need to get used to the F1).
Is the car reliable, and how much will my yearly maintenance costs be?
(I am also considering an 02 Ferrari 360 Spyder with 3500 miles, but I am being told that it is just crazy to drive the 360 18k a year because I will spend a young fortune in service, and the 360 costs 70k more than the GS)
Any and all input about life with this car will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
Welcome to the forum! Maserati's are great fun and are daily drivers for many people. However, as someone who lives in Orange County and commutes at times through West Los Angeles, the traffic can be tough, no matter if you choose the stick or the F1, as the transmission just doesn't like chugging it at low speeds (1st and 2nd gear).

For an exotic (read Italian), modern Maseratis seem to be as reliable as German makes (read Porsche), although I would say they do seem a bit more quirky and you have to put up with poorer electronics.

Using a 360 Modena as a daily driver is not crazy, but it will cost you quite a bit more in service/maintenance (gotta love those thousand dollar oil changes).

I would test drive the GS, especially in stop-and-go traffic, if that's what you're in during daily commutes, to see if it bothers you enough to settle for Tiptronic. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the 06 Coupe GS

And i have around 8200 miles on it already. I had delivery of the car in early December, and yes my Oils change 600 ,ile service did cost $927.00 so do keep that in mind. I am not sure if this would be a daily driver as I do smell clutch burn when im in to much traffic. But i guess theres nothing more fun than having an italian car for the stop and go, because i sure get a lot of lookers here in Northern Cali.

MY good friend bought a 360 spyder the same time i cought my car , and there is just so much more oooomph i think in the 360 that drvining it as a daily driver would put you in the upper hemisphere....

I say if you can afford it why not get both....

·
Registered
530 Posts
Haha, can't believe you asked that question. I love mine so much I've even installed a cupholder on the dash to keep my latte foamy.:D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Mine was supposed to be a weekend car, not only did I drive it everywhere I went but I would find excuses to drive it. Greatest daily driver I ever owned.

·
Registered
246 Posts
A spyder is the only way to go. I get depressed whenever I have to drive with the top up.
Yeah, the car isn't as stiff at the track, but that is the nature of convertibles of any type. Not being a Formula 1 driver, I just haven't been able to feel the additional 'cowl shake' and other stuff that must be limiting my track times to something less than world class. Of course, I can't even keep up at times with the guys in my run group who drive mini coopers....
Although I have a 2003, part of my negotiation when I bought it was to require the dealer to put in the 2004 console with the cupholder! I am such an American!

·
Registered
681 Posts
MikeA said:
A spyder is the only way to go. I get depressed whenever I have to drive with the top up.
Yeah, the car isn't as stiff at the track, but that is the nature of convertibles of any type. Not being a Formula 1 driver, I just haven't been able to feel the additional 'cowl shake' and other stuff that must be limiting my track times to something less than world class. Of course, I can't even keep up at times with the guys in my run group who drive mini coopers....
Although I have a 2003, part of my negotiation when I bought it was to require the dealer to put in the 2004 console with the cupholder! I am such an American!
I'm wanting to get a coupe since I've already had a spyder. I hope the 2 backseats and better styling are enough to keep me from missing the open top but I doubt it. I'll probably on Maserati #3 before I know it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts