Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, I am brand new to the forum. My wife, God bless her, has always wanted a Maserati. Fortunately for me her favorite is the 4200 Coupe which appear to be relatively affordable. I've researched it a fair amount and have learned a lot about this model but am not yet informed enough to understand how the Sold prices for Coupes in good condition seem to range anywhere from $10k to $25k. Aside from the obvious factors (mileage, cambiocorsa vs true stick shift, # of owners, service documentation, etc.) is there a reason(s) why the prices are so diverse? To simplify the conversation, I am looking at buying this particular vehicle: bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-maserati-coupe-10/. Any input on what would be a fair price for this car, or concerns I should have about it, would be greatly appreciated. Apologies for the long post and thanks for any help you experts can provide!

·
Registered
111 Posts
The sale price of these is all over the place as you have noted. That is a good looking car, and could be a great buy. My opinion is;
#1. It has the vintage pack, which may or may not add value.
#2. Clean Car Fax, sometimes you can trust it.
#3. He says heater core has not been replaced.
#4. 55k miles is about optimal in my opinion. Enough miles that you know its been sorted and not a hanger queen, but not nearly worn out.
#5. It doesn't say when the clutch was last serviced.
#6. The exhaust mods and DBW tells me that it has been in the hands of an enthusiast, if a person spends $ on upgrades then they likely kept up with maint.
#7. The car is in Charlotte, Foreign Cars Italia ( now International) has a shop there. They are good people and may be avail. for a PPI.
Let us know how things work out- Ed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just realized I didn't answer the original question. The cost to put a car right after it has been in the hands of a Philistine, is most often the difference you see in price. Maintenance is pricey and adds up fast. Also, Atlanta is not far from Charlotte, [email protected] would be a great person to do a PPI, I don't know what he would charge, or if he could do it before the auction ends. Just a thought. Ed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oishi, thank you very much. That’s quite a helpful response. I will see about getting the car over to Foreign Cars Italia to make sure there’s nothing major. Besides the heater core and clutch, which I’m realizing are common maintenance issues, is there anything potentially fatal or very costly I should beware of on this model that the owner didn’t cover in his write-up?. Ex: the 996 version of a Porsche 911 has an IMS bearing which, if it hasn’t been replaced, can go out and destroy the entire engine. Thanks and cheers.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have been fortunate to own a reliable Maserati and haven't had a major failure. That said, you can't swing a cat at one of these without hitting something that costs 2-3K or much more. The F136R engine is a truly great motor, the transaxle is used on several V12 Ferraris so it will stand a lot of torque, and the build quality is excellent. But, they are Italian, and just because it works today does not mean it will work tomorrow. The guys that work on these for a living can give better advice than I can, but in my opinion, these have no fatal flaws.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts