Maserati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test Drove 2006 gransport ....sweet car. I am between that and a 2006 M5.

Basically, I need 4 seats on the weekends...kids. And I race at road track 3 times a year and drag strip 1 time a year. I intend to buy used one with 10K-20K and drive it daily in connecticut. I have old corvettes but wanted something more exotic. THe M5 looks so bland. How does the Maserati coupe hold up on the track. Does it burn tires, brakes. I am handy and can do all my brake changes, tune-ups and oil chages. I do not care about resale value as I intend to drive the car. How expensive are the dealerships? What is the skid pad on the car. I do not think either of them is .90. Any recomendations are welcome. (PS if I did not need seats I would have 06 Z06).

·
Registered
390 Posts
The Mas has poor traction--at least mine sure does, but it's not a GS. It makes it entertaining to drive but it would be a crappy drag racer. I traded my M5 for a Mas coupe and a truck--I wouldn't have it as an only car, though it's proven totally reliable. It doesn't burn tires / brakes any more than any other car but it does use clutches (that's why I got a stick).

My Mas is definitely much faster and better to drive around a twisty road than my 03 M5 was and sure handles better.

The back seats are surprisingly roomy. The seats are narrow and deep-dished so great for kids. When I was a kid I *loved* riding in the back seat of my mom's 944 and it's kinda the same, though a bit more spacious.

There's a rumor of a CTS-"super-vee" that has the new Z06 motor in it (with the whole 505bhp) coming out as a "last hurrah" for the current body style, but no real evidence other than spy photos yet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Daren67 said:
Test Drove 2006 gransport ....sweet car. I am between that and a 2006 M5.

Basically, I need 4 seats on the weekends...kids. And I race at road track 3 times a year and drag strip 1 time a year. I intend to buy used one with 10K-20K and drive it daily in connecticut. I have old corvettes but wanted something more exotic. THe M5 looks so bland. How does the Maserati coupe hold up on the track. Does it burn tires, brakes. I am handy and can do all my brake changes, tune-ups and oil chages. I do not care about resale value as I intend to drive the car. How expensive are the dealerships? What is the skid pad on the car. I do not think either of them is .90. Any recomendations are welcome. (PS if I did not need seats I would have 06 Z06).

I love my GS, but I think you're putting a square peg in a round hole if you want it as a daily driver. Especially in the Northeast. It is a far more passionate and interesting car than the M5. And it's beautiful, which no one can say about the E60 M5.
My daily is an A8, and that lease is ending in two weeks. Ironically, I am going to purchase a 2006 M5 to replace it. Believe it or not, you can buy a used GS (as I did) and a used 2006 M5, and pay very little more than you would lose in depreciation if you bought either car new.
You'll have to work hard to buy them well (very low $70's for each car in mint would be very well done), but even though you're spending more up front, the depreciation of the two would be no more than the depreciation of either one new. Never thought I'd see the day when six month old M5's are going for $20k off sticker....it's even worse for the Maserati. But use that to your advantage....an M5 and a GS would be a very nice combo.
Good luck,
steve

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Hi, Daren. I was in the exact same position has you. I had a deposit on one of the first US M5's, and while waiting, I fell in love with the Maserati (I have a Coupe CC). Not only do I have no regrets, but after hearing the service issues that my friends with M5's are now facing (lots of electronic gremlins, oil line, etc.), I feel lucky. ;-) And, as you say, the styling is indeed so bland compared to the Maserati. 20 months after getting the Maserati, I still get that buzz every morning knowing I'll be driving it soon!

I'd also have to disagree about the daily driver status of the Maserati. The only time I don't drive my Maserati is when I need to carry a bike or when there's heavy snow on the roads (but it doesn't get driven in the winter quite a bit).

I ended up getting a little Lexus IS 250 AWD for my bike/winter mobile (which, BTW, has turned out to be a really nice car!). And best of all, I finally got my deposit back from the BMW dealer, a year and a half later.

Also, if you're concerned about the rear seat room for your kids, don't be - my kids fit with room to spare, and my daughter is a tall 10 year old (must be food additives or the mailman's child - didn't get those genes from me).

Might you encounter issues with the Maserati? Sure. Handbuilt cars in limited production will lead to some quality variability. But if you do get one, don't treat it like a museum piece. Drive it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The CTS-V is too small. I am leaning toward the Mas over the M5. My other option is a 745i with Dinan tuning. Bet you guys who like to see that at the track. Does anyone has 30-50K on there Mas coupes/spyders. What is the weakpts of long term ownership. How much are those clutchplates in the F-1 trans?. by the way, the GS I test drove sounded great at 6,000 rpm in 2 gear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The new M5 is an amazing machine, at the end of the day though its still based on a saloon car all be it with a monsterous engine and exceptional handling. You are definately not getting the Maserati looks.

I dont think the CC is suitable for daily commute personally. I agree with the previous posters comments, I would go used and get both ! Personally I have an A8 and a 4200, I dont really like BMWs, its all down to taste I suppose......

The back seats are very practical in the 4200, I can fit in the back easily with the passenger seat pulled forward a bit. I am 6ft 4inchs !

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
FYI, I have 15K on it, with over 12K in one year, if that helps.

Regarding BMW's, the new M3 is going to be a different story...I will be giving that one a serious look. The M5 was also a bit too heavy for a "play car".

·
Registered
286 Posts
Daren67 said:
The CTS-V is too small. I am leaning toward the Mas over the M5. My other option is a 745i with Dinan tuning. Bet you guys who like to see that at the track. Does anyone has 30-50K on there Mas coupes/spyders. What is the weakpts of long term ownership. How much are those clutchplates in the F-1 trans?. by the way, the GS I test drove sounded great at 6,000 rpm in 2 gear.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
191 Posts
alera said:
Personally I have an A8 and a 4200, I dont really like BMWs, its all down to taste I suppose.....
What is it with A8s and Maseratis?

·
Registered
74 Posts
F. Yu said:

Good question.....I think it's that they're two completely different cars that are each executed so well.....a very nice contrast. As much as I love the GS, it feels good to pimp it in the Audi and stretch out my legs. I love the MMI and stereo too. Very classy car.
I've had the A8 nearly two years and will be sad to see it go. Bought my wife a Q7, which is very solid for an SUV. They have fantastic lease deals now also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Daren67,
I am in the exact same situation. I just could not come to grips with using the GS as a daily driver in the Northeast. I test drove the M5 and then, I test drove my friends 2007 Audi RS4. You will probably think this car is too small, but man, what an engine. Although the M5 was just slighly heavier, it felt like a BIG car, not to mention all of the overdone electronics in that car. Give the RS4 a look, it just may change your mind.
I will probably pick up a GS in a year or two for use as a sunny day car. In the meantime, I just put a deposit down on an RS4.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
these are all good cars in their own rights. however, i still cannot get over the fact that a basic or used A4 is 1/3 the price of a RS4, or a basic 530i is 1/2 the price of an M5; as well as the number of these cars on the road.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I had a M5 up until very recently. Nothing but problems. Plenty of power but the car feels fat and the stability control system kicks in very early. Overall it was much less involving than anticipated.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Daren67 said:

Came from a track e39 (Dinan S2 package + other goodies) and the Maser is a whole different animal. I do around 800-1000 miles per week in the Northeast (Philadelphia-Boston area). Problems with it being a daily driver:
-No spare, no dealer stocks tires. I now have 1 front and 1 rear in my basement incase I get stuck again
-Leg room is a little cramped (I'm 6'2"), I'd like to be able to stretch out my left foot
-Cabin is a little small and starts to sound like the inside of a bass drum, especially noticeable in the NE where we have rough roads and potholes gallor
-Navigation system sucks. Get the Alpine system and bluetooth installed
-Clutch will last 20k miles, brakes maybe 25k, so maintenance is a little more than the bmw.

But all of that is worth it when you start the engine and take off down the street. The car is a ton of fun to drive. The F1 system is lightyears ahead of the BMW SMG system and when you find an open road, you forget about everything else.

Mine's a 2005, plenty of upgrades and going to be selling next month (I only keep my cars for a year). Haven't yet decided on a replacement, I'm seriously considering the M5, Vantage, QP and a Cayenne TurboS. Each has it's strengths, I think it might be time to buy something a little cheaper and start saving up a little for the Challenge Stradele I really want for my weekend car, we'll see, will depend on what I end up selling the current Maser for I guess.

·
Registered
16 Posts
THis might sound crazy but I love the A8 almost as much as the 4200. Well ok not as much but I just think the A8 is an amazing machine.

Despite being such a big car the A8 still shifts, the Aluminum construction means its very light for its size, the handling is brilliant because of the 4 wheel drive Quattro and no one does interiors like Audi. Its just a luxury limo, Audis never break, long service intervals I havent spent a penny on it so far....

If I am going on a long drive down to London and I want a relaxing journey I take the Audi, its like driving round in a big comfortable armchair.....I want a S8 bad, I dont fancy taking the hit on 2 year depreciation, I like to own opposed to lease. I have been looking for a late d2 or early d3 s8 over here in the UK but they are exceptionally rare (Like much more rare than the 4200....) well low mileage ones with the spec and colour I want are anyway.

I think part of the problem is not many are sold and once people buy them they dont want to sell them. I think I will always have an A8 of some type + a sports car for fun (Gransport next then probably a 911 turbo or 4s).....

I dont understand why people like Bmws M or not. I would had an Audi A8 W12 or S8 ANY day of the week over an M5... You dont see many, they are better made, better looking, handle better, better interior, more room etc etc etc. Not looked at the performance stats for the m5 v w12 or s8, I bet there is not that much in it except the Audis are limited, its probably a bit slower as its a bigger car, they will weigh less than the m5 though and the 4 wheel drive makes them much more fun to drive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the Magnaflow too and love it, my brother got his used from craigslist but I wanted a valid warranty so I got it here. Magnaflow Exhaust 16714, or you can try one of the sponsors here on the forum, they are allways having sales/specials. Either way its a great exhaust system, sounds great, and very easy to install.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts