Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy my first Maserati this summer. Decided to go to the experts (owners) for help. I need owners advice on which to select; a GT with 6speed or CC with F1?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I suggest that you drive them both and see which one you like better. I love my CC, but others do not share my love for the CC. You also may want to consider clutch life, and maintenance costs for the CC v. the manual.

Eric

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi Omerio

Welcome to the forum. I think the previous poster got it right, you should try to drive both, as they are very different. There is also a significant amount of dicusion on this issue from previous posts so do a search.

I own a full manual and love it. There are issues with the gear linkage but once that has been properly adjusted it changes gear very smoothly and I prefer it as a daily driver set up.

I have also driven a CC and although it would be great on the open road or track I was really frustrated with it in City driving. In addition you really don't want to reverse in it unless you like the smell of burning clutch! There are also the F1 pump issues and the potentially shorter clutch life depending upon how it is used.

I guess it really comes down to how you will be using the car and personal preferance but either way you will not regret it. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Carl

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
TBH, I drive most of the time in the city and prefer the fact the CC gearbox avoids me having to workout my left leg with constant gear changes.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
The CC, For the above stated reasons. Hands on wheel during shifts, no left foot, it's easy to get used to, took me about 15mins. City driving (for me) is no problem. And "I think" the shifting is quicker.(especially in sport mode.)
I love my CC but, try both. Good luck.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ok I have as you all know,a 2003 Coupe GT. When I bought it two years ago.
The car had 14,000 miles on it. I now have 25,000 miles on the original clutch.
I was at the dealer yesterday and they feel my clutch is good for a while yet.

I try not to slip the clutch off the line , and do not ride it. I however am a stick shift guy, all of my cars are sticks and have always been that way. I can see if you do a lot of track time how the CC is better. The other point is, with the stick you drive the car it does not drive you.
Just my two cents.
Ron:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your help. The Maserati will be my fun car. My other 3 cars are Auto so I do not mind working out my left leg. I know that Maserati is an exotic car that will require expensive maintenance. However, I want to minimize this expense. I have reviewed previous posts and it seems that the F1 trany has a lot more issues than the 6 speed.
By the way, the gear linkage issue with the 6 speed, is this a common issue? Also, is it only present with earlier models? Was it resolved with later models?

·
Registered
160 Posts
The gearbox in front of the rear axle, the shift stick is linked to the gearbox via two cables, no change from the earlier models.

The dealer can adjust the linkage very easily. Mine is properly adjusted, the only time the gear feels rough is on a cold morning as the cable contract and expand a little with temperature. After the car's warmed up, the gear change smooth out.

BTW, I also love my 6sp. I am used to driving manual in the city, and love to rev the engine at the stop signs and traffic lights. It's also a more reliable car.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
I believe that the truth is you would grow to love the CC, but if you get a manual, you'll never miss the CC either. They are both lots of fun, the CC allows you to execute a better lap with less effort on a track and give you these amazing blips of the throttle on the street that always catch people off guard when they hear a "race car" decelerating next to them to the traffic light.

The biggest problem I ever had with the CC was the clutch slipping at start, with the DBWEM we've fixed that however it's another piece to add.

The biggest problem I have with the manual trans is that it seems a bit clunky and the shifter position seems high, the clutch pedal and the shifter seem to throw to far a distance. We have considered building a short shift kit for the car and it may happen. We just need to have a manual transmission car here for a day.

Good luck and we hope to see you with a new Maserati Soon!

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
Adding to Jeff and others, - - I've always bought manuals for my 'toys', e.g., to buy an automatic Porsche is sacroligious (sp?). At fist I wasn't in love with the CC - now that I'm learning to drive it properly, I'm loving it. Taught the wife last night - she's looking forward to taking it out and I don't have to worry about ripping teeth of the gears.

Keep this in mind - there are many great 6 speeds to buy, there are few options for an F1. Buy the F1 and leave the 6 speeds to something else. The one caveat, is however, as others have said, is that it is more costly to own and is somewhat less reliable than the manual. That's the price of admission.

FWIW

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I only bought my car with a CC because I wanted a GS and they come with CC only. I really wanted a manual though. BUT, after using the CC I appreciate being able to keep both hands on the wheel, it's so much safer in a fast car. There's a reason why all car companies are switching from manual to Paddle-shifts for their sports cars.

But as Jeff said, if you never had a CC and buy a manual you will be just fine, because you wouldn't know what you're missing.... ;)

PS-I'd rather be in stop and go traffic with a CC than with a manual. For city use the CC is definitely easier than manual (cellphone use, coffee, multitasking in general).

PS2- My car has over 16,000 miles and clutch has only 40% wear. So as long as you learn how to use the CC you should be "problem free". But, of course, the manual is "problem free-er" :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just to toss in my 2 cents - I have an 05 Coupe GT (manual). In my opinion the shifter is a bit quirky but I like it. I'ts not as smooth or "snick-snick" as some others I've driven (Porsche, Miata) but I kind of like having to master its minor idiosyncracies (did I spell that right?) to drive fast and smoothly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really appreciate everyone feedback. I test drove my first CC last weekend and i am in love. Now i am convinced more than ever that this is the car i want to buy. Did not buy the car because of color. To be honest, i am a bit confused about the different coupe models that were available for 2004/2005. Can someone give me a brief summary of the different models for coupes and the main difference between them? The reason i ask, at the dealer that i test drove the car at, some coupes had a sport button and some didn't.

Thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Get the one with the sport button... it has the skyhook suspension: it is dynamic and adjusts for hte best ride... plus it can be modified if you ever want to.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Go with what you love to drive... Just get a clean car...

I have 21,000 miles on my 04 CC. I bought it used with 1,200 miles in 05.

The dealer under warranty just adjusted my clutch bearing. Its a common fix that Maserati has been aware of. If you drive a CC and you hear a squealing off the line in first or second, most likely the clutch bearing needs to be adjusted. This is a very labor intensive process but it IS covered under warranty. Afterwards you will be BLOWN away with how your car drives and shifts. Its night and day. Totally different car.

If you can find an 04 CC still under warranty even if its only a few months, that could seal the deal assuming everything else is what you want.

Additionally, I only drive in sports mode, at 21,000 miles my clutch was 40% worn. I should be able to get atleast another 15 - 20K miles on it. Clutch wear depends on how you drive. Make sure you get an accurate reading on the cars your interested in.

The CC is a complete blast to drive and the downward blips sound great. Try to find a car with a Tubi or other performace exhaust. They sound great.

In 05/06 Maserati updated the front and rear fronts of their coupes. They may have also updated the dial colors and some other interior options vs the 02 - 04 CCs.

F1 pump issues have mostly been resolved in the late 04 - 06 coupes. There were many more problems with the 02 - 03 CCs and their pumps.

Given the current economy and the low resale value of Maserati coupes you should be able to find a beautiful car at a great price that is very clean. Take your time, shop around and get something you love.

There is nothing else that compares with the price to performance to exclusivity of a Maserati coupe. Its simply an awsome car. Enjoy!!

CM

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.