Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

Last week my father purchased a 2003 Saserati Spyder 6 speed, and it has fallen to me as the greasemonkey of the family to iron out the kinks with the car. Two of his complaints about the vehicle he has are that the shift knob feels too far away to shift comfortably without leaning forward, and the other is that the headlights (non-xenon version) could use a bit of help. Since these are tiny gripes, I am looking to get him a shift knob that is more comfortable for him, something taller and less forward set, and a set of higher quality bulbs for his headlights. If memory serves me correctly, the headlights had a single housing for both high beam and low beam lights, leading me to think it is a dual filiment bulb of either H4 or 9006 design. This leads me to my two questions.

First, do any of you know what bulb type fits into these cars?

Second, do you know how you go about removing the shift knob. It does not twist like most cars, nor does it pop off like a bmw, or at least I have not been able to do as such. Any idea how to replace the shift knob?

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to participating in the community. :cool:

-Colleen

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hi Colleen:

Welcome to the board, and congrats to you and your dad for getting a Maserati! I'm still trying to get my dad to buy a Quattroporte, but he can't brake away from that "Son, you got to have Lexus. Its all about reliability" :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I can't be much help with the headlamps, since I have the Xenon in mine. But, I can tell you that they are not Halogen bulbs like a 9004, etc. They are HID, and from the looks of the parts manual, they are the same bulb for HIGH and LOW beams.

This is a great place to see an online parts catalog. You can get part numbers, see schmatics and get prices (you just have to convert them to US Dollars):

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/

As to you gear shift question, I know exactly what you are talking about. In fact, if you do a search on this forum, you will find numerous folks who complain about the gear shift being to far forward (especially on shifts from 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th). I believe the gear knob is pressed on, I don't believe it is threaded. Someone else can chime in and correct me, Mark?

Mark from Maserati of Minneapolis is a fantastic wealth of knowledge on this board, as is everyone else.

Again, welcome!

·
Registered
40 Posts
This shift knob is not threaded. Just have to pull really, really heard. The dealer replaced mine because I wanted a wooden knob. The knob fits a slotted dowel that is flat on one side.

·
Registered
824 Posts
My guess is that it is an H7 type.

That is what the OSRAM site lists for a 3200 - most of the bulbs would be similar.

http://www.osram.com/am_application/

Now, in terms of extra wattage, not sure what the factory wiring and the bulb housings can handle. So many cars have the Xenons fitted (great low beam, sucky high beam) that I don't think many people have upgraded, so not much accumulated knowledge.

To quote an automotive lighting expert, be careful you don't turn your car into a car-be-que.

·
Registered
390 Posts
CrazyDailyDrive said:
This shift knob is not threaded. Just have to pull really, really heard. The dealer replaced mine because I wanted a wooden knob. The knob fits a slotted dowel that is flat on one side.
Interesting...I tried to replace mine and the dealer mechanic said it was a twist off, but that many of them worked loose, so to remedy it many dealers spray a little loctite in there to seal it up. He twisted with both hands and a grimace on his face and couldn't get the thing off.

One thing I did learn though is that there's no screw or anything holding it on.

As far as it being too far away, maybe it's because I'm part Italian but it fits me pretty ok. You might try telescoping the wheel closer to the dash so you can sit closer to the shifter as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts