Maserati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
@cullystour, nice looking car, but you haven't told us her name! Mine would be Valentina.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Fernando, I have followed your rebuild on SM, well done mate. Another beautiful 4200. Cullystout, yours is the only other Nero DS car I've seen. For those who have not seen that color, it's a black-black, very pretty.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So... lots of very nice cars here, thanks to all who have taken the time to post. For those who may not know about it, there is a sister site in the UK (mainly) called sportsmaserati.com. Its a great site with lots of friendly car nuts, the thing I like about it is even though its a Mas site, lots of other cars and stuff there. Fernando (fifty, there) posted a very extensive post on all the things he has done to his beautiful Coupe, well worth the time to read through it.
I've started to compile the info you guys have posted and will let you know how it goes, and if any of you run across info specific to 6mt cars please post that also. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone found a reliable solution to replacing the gear shifter?

I know a guy who has cut his shifter down to shorten the throw and put a spherical ball type shifter on it. He's much faster through the gears but I would rather be able to put the car back to stock of needed

·
Registered
12 Posts

I know a guy who has cut his shifter down to shorten the throw and put a spherical ball type shifter on it. He's much faster through the gears but I would rather be able to put the car back to stock of needed
I actually 3d printed a silver skull that I replaced it with.

·
Registered
77 Posts

SHORTER SHIFTER ?? I have too much trouble finding second/reverse now. Gives me an idea. Maybe I would do better if I changed to one 24" long to better find the slots !!! Bob Zim.

·
Super Moderator
4,346 Posts
SHORTER SHIFTER ?? I have too much trouble finding second/reverse now. Gives me an idea. Maybe I would do better if I changed to one 24" long to better find the slots !!! Bob Zim.
Have you had the cables adjusted?

C

·
Registered
52 Posts
Great to
That owner would be me. 4000 miles in with some hard driving included and there has been zero issues.

Message me if you want any details
Apologies for being late in replying, broadband issues.
Great to hear everything is good Fernando and credit to you for being the torchbearer regarding the clutch, Maserati tax is bad enough but to get rpph(rare part price hiked) tax on top as seems to be the case with the manual clutch 196021 is a hard one to take.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'll lead off,
1. 2003
2. Spyder
3 .Nero DS
4. 011278
5. 0001
US spec
Hi,
I have a Med BLue Spyder with 46000mls. Full exhaust upgrade including removal of the secondary cat’s.
Its a RHD GT model, I've upgraded the speakers and installed a bluetooth comms unit for music and phone, fitted both Formula Dynamics ECU & DBW modules, new discs and pads all round. I also have fitted a wooden steering wheel which is a nice feature now. A clutch was fitted bty the previous owner 1000mls prior to me buying it. I also have a 2003 spyder Cambiocorsa but I have to say i prefer the 6mt.
last four digits 8285

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Brian and Rat Man, 2 more beautiful cars guys, I wonder if the fact that 6mt cars are a bit less expensive to maintain has a bearing on how well the cars are kept. ie. Less $ spent on CC issues = more $ for other maint. and upgrades. I also think that I'm seeing a trend of long term ownership of these as compared to CC cars. GS's might be long term keepers too. Anyway, thanks for posting, and please feel free to expand on ownership experience (I keep coming back to Fernando) as this is very helpful. Tony H where are you?
Edit: What Catman said about adjustment. There is a very good post here on shifter adjustment, follow that, and shifter is much better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Brian and Rat Man, 2 more beautiful cars guys, I wonder if the fact that 6mt cars are a bit less expensive to maintain has a bearing on how well the cars are kept. ie. Less $ spent on CC issues = more $ for other maint. and upgrades. I also think that I'm seeing a trend of long term ownership of these as compared to CC cars. GS's might be long term keepers too. Anyway, thanks for posting, and please feel free to expand on ownership experience (I keep coming back to Fernando) as this is very helpful. Tony H where are you?
Edit: What Catman said about adjustment. There is a very good post here on shifter adjustment, follow that, and shifter is much better.
HI,
I have carried out the adjustments and changed the oil tranaxle oil and filter. I used Red line 75/90 Synthetic. Still very notchy when cold. When its warmed up its far better and smoother. I am thinking that due to ambient temps here in the UK, I might try a thinner synthetic oil which would work better from cold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
HI,
I have carried out the adjustments and changed the oil tranaxle oil and filter. I used Red line 75/90 Synthetic. Still very notchy when cold. When its warmed up its far better and smoother. I am thinking that due to ambient temps here in the UK, I might try a thinner synthetic oil which would work better from cold.
I'm afraid that it is a case of "they all do that sir"

The gearbox is the same as that in the Ferrari 360 which has similar issues with a cold gearbox (manual version famously difficult to get into gears when cold). The gears are in constant mesh and turning even when you are in neutral - it is why the rear wheels start spinning after a few moments when the car is suspended in the air on a lift with the engine running and in neutral.

I had the shifter mechanism serviced last year and it made a huge improvement to the accuracy of the gear selection but I don't think the notchy cold shifts can be averted

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
My list is working, Ratman, you bought your Spyder from Mike on SM. Some cars I'm seeing across multiple owners, and can track history. And yes, even 1960's Ferrari boxes are notorious for being cold natured. Ratman, you said you preferred a 6mt to a CC, can you expand on that? Thanks

21 - 40 of 52 Posts