Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The light for my dash clock in my 03 Coupe went out. I thought that the dealer could simply replace the bulb while the car was in for service today. Wow, was I wrong. They want $1,100 to replace the entire clock. Wow. I can get the clock for $300 or less elsewhere. http://www.trident-parts.com/383600119.html

I would like to take the thing out first, though, and see about just the bulb or how it is illuminated. Anyone else have any experience removing the clock?

Thanks.

·
Registered
439 Posts
You gotta be kidding me!!!! It's not even worth the $300!!!!!
I can't believe the crap these dealers try pulling on customers. :mad:

·
Registered
147 Posts
The light on mine has been out since I bought the car. I wondered what it would take to replace the bulb as well...that's ridiculous! Please let me know what you figure out. Good luck!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Call Eddie.............

Chris:

You might consider a call to Eddie Rodriguez, our Independent F/M Mechanic in the greater Los Angeles area (562) 650-1732. He has helped many a Maserati Forum member diagnose and/or repair their Masers. Feel free to tell him I referred you to him. He is as honest as the day is long......and he REALLY knows his stuff! Good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had mine replaced under warranty, and yes they replaced the whole clock. I was told it was not possible to just change the bulb.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks for the part site!

That deserves a thread of its own.

I did notice that they list a silver clock for $305.26 and a gold clock for $925.20. I wonder which one the ChrisG's dealer was talking about for $1,100.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The light on the clock is way too bright at night and does not dim with the dash. Save your money and down worry about it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had mine replaced under warranty as well, and yes they replaced the whole clock. I was told it was not possible to just change the bulb.:mad:
Ron,
2003 Coupe GT

·
Registered
280 Posts
me too!

I just was going to post this too; mine has never worked and I thought that maybe the clock just did not light up at night; then the other night my wife says; "this is stupid, for $90k they don't make the clock light up"? So I was going to post; mine is an '04, bought used, thank goodness...........:D dogdoc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the help.

As an update, apparently there are two clocks that fit on this car. One is about $1,100 (Part No. 383600121) described as a "chromate clock" or "gold optional clock" and then a "clock" (Part No. 383600119), which is about $270.

I did not have the gold clock, thankfully in terms of looks and cost, so it looks like the dealer gave me a quote for the wrong part.

I bought a 383600119 on ebay for about $130 bucks and am going to try to install it. It looks like I will have to take the top of the dash off to get to the four screws that hold it in place.

If anyone has experience in removing the top of the dash, I would love to hear about it. The shop manual says nothing about it and even the diagram is a little unclear....

·
Registered
214 Posts
I went through the same thing and just asked the dealer to take it out and I would try to see if I could fix it. I don't think its possible to just replace the bulb, I fiddled with it for quite a while. Not sure how they got it out, it looks like you might just need to remove the NAV screen. It is held in place with two tabs that snap in, so when replacing it you just (carefully) shove it in until the tabs lock into place.

BTW, got mine from specializeditalianrecycling.com for $85. It was a used one but looked fine and so far so good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had mine replaced under warranty last summer and it went out again last week. Anyone else have repeat failures? Not sure I want to pay $300 for 1 years worth of lighting.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i'm looking to remove my clock and either repair / replace... I would like to see some photos of a clock removed - as many views as possible - especially the back - to get an idea of how it is mounted.

If the AC vents on either side are removed - it seems like I can reach behind and touch the back of the clock, but not knowing if there are screws, nuts, etc... it's tough to determine how to remove it.

any assistance would be appreciated.
if you need can't upload an image for some reason, email it to me and i will post it.
[email protected]
Cocoa Beach FL

·
Registered
13 Posts
The gold clock was an optional extra originally; not sure how much it cost and doubt it affects second hand values much!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Guess I'm the lucky one? My clock lights up, but the time doesn't pass. No tick tock, but even under the cover of darkness, it's obvious the clock doesn't run. What is the old saying? Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day?

I too intend to remove my clock, see if anything obvious is stopping it from running, and then perhaps take it to a clock repair shop to see if I can get it fixed. Although, if I can get a used/working replacement for $85, my choice may have just become obvious. Was that from a parts supplier, or just a one off ebay sale??? (never mind, I just paid attention to the post..sorry!)

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
rats...add me to the list...2004 spyder..clock works but no light..anyone post on how to remove??
Lynn

·
Registered
4 Posts
rats...add me to the list...2004 spyder..clock works but no light..anyone post on how to remove??
Lynn
I was told by the dealer that if you remove the dash flood vent you can get to the clock. I haven't tried it yet, because the weather has been so good I am driving the car everyday.

If anyone has any luck, let us all know.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts