Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading all the posts about grills I decided that black just wasn't right so with some trepidation I pulled mine off. There is a local shop that does a really bright, long lasting NiCr plate but I wasn't sure that I'd like the look so I went to Wally World, bought a can of sprayon bright silver and painted my grill. I'm really impressed. The paint chemists have done wonders. Now, obviously I don't know how long it'll look good but for the time being I'm going to stick with what I've got.
My pictures don't do the grill or the Trident justice but maybe you'll get some idea. (My browser lets me zoom photos. 200% works well if you have this feature.)

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
very nice!

do you have a before pic you can post side by side?

also, did you paint the outer chrome or just the inner mesh area?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Looks good - nice job.

For the money you have saved you can re-spray probably 10 times a year over the next 10 years :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
That does look nice. I think I'm convinced to try it. Any tips on removing the grill? And how the heck have you kept your bumper paint so pristine, I hope you drive it at least once in a while... ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you have a before pic you can post side by side?

also, did you paint the outer chrome or just the inner mesh area?
Sorry, no before and after pics - just figured everybody knew what the black grill looked like.

Just painted the mesh part - left the chrome ring unpainted.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Diy

That does look nice. I think I'm convinced to try it. Any tips on removing the grill? And how the heck have you kept your bumper paint so pristine, I hope you drive it at least once in a while... ;)
Removing the grill is not difficult it just it just takes balls. Under the top side of the chrome ring are 4 screws to remove - no problem. The bottom has 4 push in small, round, steel rods. On the end of each rod are 2, in series, knobs. The first knob slides between 2 spring plates. To remove the grill these knobs have to be pulled back through the spring plates. I used a 2" wide flat pry bar resting on a rag against the front bumper. I squirted lots of oil on the plates and prized on the rim. It took a lot more effort than I was expecting - this is where the balls came to play 'cause I surely didn't want to break or scratch anything. Anyhow, once the whole unit is out the mesh can be separated from the chrome ring and cleaned and painted.

I've got some of the best roads in the world to drive on so I practice regularly. Even though I watch the loose rocks there are some dings that the camera didn't show. Although the LEO is bad on the weekend they're not there during the week. Check out http://tailofthedragon.com/ I live just 10 miles from there.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks

Looks like fun driving. I'm heading down to Asheville for a wedding next weekend. If it wasn't such a long drive from Chicago I'd take the car down there for a drive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I managed to take the grill of tonight after about an hour and a half of pulling, prising and swearing!

However is there any way you can separate the mesh from the chrome ring?
I can't seem to figure out how to do it!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Removing the screen

I managed to take the grill of tonight after about an hour and a half of pulling, prising and swearing!

However is there any way you can separate the mesh from the chrome ring?
I can't seem to figure out how to do it!
Unscrew the studs that held the rim to the body of the car and with some gentle prying the screen will separate from the grill.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just did this on mine last weekend and WOW, what a cheap upgrade that looks amazing.
Be careful not to scratch the chrome when you take the rim out. I found it easy to remove by inserting a screwdriver (with a cloth) under the rim and pull it out.

S.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I did this modification today, and I really like the results. I got a decent before/after photo, using the photo taken in the dealership as the "before".

The black finish didn't bother me really but it showed its age. Some rust and/or road grime was always tainting it slightly white in a few places. You can see this in the black-grill photo a little bit; it's not uniform jet black.

The mounting hardware was all rusted to the point of concern; I had to work at the threaded pieces pretty hard to get the thing separated. But next time it should be much easier. I have some oxidation on the top/underside of the chrome ring, but don't know the best way to get rid of it. It's only visible if you get down and look up at it...

The chrome look is a great change-up. I'm going to see how it grows on me over a few months; if I don't like it I will go back to black.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
bkewc - I think that is a huge improvement! Really brightens it up. Congrats.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts