Maserati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rolling home today, heard a small noise and then the Red Cambio light came on....I found I could not shift out of 1st gear...I pulled to the side of the road and after going into Neutral, the car would not go into any gear...I tried shutting off the battery, tried to clear the codes turning the ignition several times.. still nothing

Called Maser roadside assistance, get this...it took 2 hours and 45 mins for a tow truck to get to me . I was in Oakland CAL, a pretty major city!

I read through prior threads and seems like the Cambio Pump, my car has 26,500 miles, still under warranty thank goodness

after towing the car from Oakland to the dealer in San Rafael,we find out there is not a night drop at the dealer! , the tow people are storing the car until Monday AM when they will tow it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
sorry to hear.
2.5hr is unacceptable; but this is fequent with most of the factory road side assistance?
glad to hear the warranty is still in effect.
i guess in retrospect, you are better off driving in 1st all the way home?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Demoe I feel your pain. The USAC tow company down here in the South Bay knows FMSF doesn't have a drop. They told me they wouldn't pick up a car on the weekend (it was in my driveway or they might have relented) and wouldn't come til Monday because they didn't like to leave the car where there was no secure parking.

M, there's no limp home mode. Once the cambiocorsa lunches you're stranded til the flatbed arrives.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I heard a theory about why Porsches are so much more reliable than Ferraris. Apparently if you break down in rural Italy, you are never far at all from a little town, and you can always find an old farmer's buggy or whatever to give you a quick lift. If you break down in rural Germany....you're miles from anywhere and just flat fucked.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Plus most of Italy is in a temperate zone. If you break down in the Winter they don't have to send out a dog and the Alpenkorps to recover your frozen body.

One of the stories about the VW (and subsequently Porsche) choosing air cooled engines is that they wanted a car that could run up and down the mountain passes without boiling over.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Steeldream said:
..M, there's no limp home mode. Once the cambiocorsa lunches you're stranded til the flatbed arrives.
what i meant was, if demoe was unable to get out of first, but his car was still drivable in 1st; until he stopped and gone to N, and he could not get back in gear.

if he had just kept going in 1st...

i didn't read anything about the CC Lunches, (or lurches)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, had i known the car was gonna get stuck in N after stopping I would have kept on going...but in retrospect, I would have hit a stop light and preferred to be stop dead on the side of the road as opposed in the lane.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Exactly the same experience I had when pump died. See earlier thread titled cambiocorsa pump. My car had done 40,000k which is approx 24,000 miles when pump died. Make sure relay is checked/replaced when pump is replaced. My second pump lasted less than 100k because relay was not replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Flatbed towing again & again & again, etc.

I have a 2002 Spyder and it has been flatbed towed to the dealer at least seven times. In some respects, the flatbed tow truck is a no cost option that comes with the car (we bought it new).

Strangely, two weeks ago I was driving a rented Alfa Romeo on A4 from Milan to Venice when it broke down and had to be towed. The rental car company gave me a replacement but it given the history of my Spyder Cambiocorsa, it believe it is just a standard piece of equipment.

My next car will come from Stuggart.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hopefully your warranty will cover it! Either way the part less than $1,000. Glad to see you're driving your car Demoe like it was intended.

·
Registered
681 Posts
M! said:
this is OT, but what does that mean? i thought he was just trying to get home...
I have some customers with 2002 cars that have less than 4k miles on them. They don't ever drive them and it just makes me upset to see a V8 Maserati rotting in a garage of someone. It's none of my business what people do with their cars but I'm real happy the majority in our community actually drive Maserati's like intended as opposed to letting them rot in the garage like alot of Ferrari owners and some Maserati owners.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Amen to that, Kevin. I try to drive mine every day. I haven't gotten up the nerve to put a bike rack on it, or I'd drive it *all* the time. :)

Though that Pennsylvania mud would do a number on the tan seats and interior... :(

I guess I'll have to wait for the Kubang for that.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
NAPerformance said:
I have some customers with 2002 cars that have less than 4k miles on them. They don't ever drive them and it just makes me upset to see a V8 Maserati rotting in a garage of someone. It's none of my business what people do with their cars but I'm real happy the majority in our community actually drive Maserati's like intended as opposed to letting them rot in the garage like alot of Ferrari owners and some Maserati owners.
thanks for the clarification.

cos, you know, in this and some other forum 'driving it like it's intended' can mean sliding and crashing an MC12 in an icy track :(

·
Registered
530 Posts
Personally, I check the weather report each and every time before I get into the spyder. If rain is forecast anytime in the next 48 hours she stays in the garage - can't be too careful.

I also have the engine rebuilt weekly, along with a rotisserie, body-off restoration once a month.:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
9 Participants
Steeldream
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing