Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are new owners of the Spyder and the top will not open , tried battery disconnect and toggled switches in glove box with no results .The indicator light on the instrument cluster seems to be flashing codes 32 or 34.
Does anyone have a diagnostic procedure for this ?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I assume the hand-brake is in the up position?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes it is .key on park brake on then windows cycle down however after that when top switch is toggled nothing happens.The top indicator light flashes.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Getting the top working again

I'm assuming the top is between up and down. If so then bring the seat backs forward and follow the manual to release the hydraulic pressure. (There is valve behind both seats that needs to be worked.) Once the pressure drops the top can then be lowered or raised - I prefer to put the top up. Use the large Allen wrench located in the box between the seats to do the final seat of the top locking mechanism. Once this is done go through the battery off routine and if I haven't forgotten something important you ought to be good to go.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK we are getting somewhere with this .after pushing in on the motor behind drivers seat we did the battery disconnect and then were able to cycle the top down.now when cycling the top up (engine running and keeping switch pressed)the cycle up stops about 5 inches from locking in place.However it will open all the way.will try to do a manual close next.
Thanks for all the help!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Roof stuck closed

OK, my turn in the roof-top barrel... The roof on my '02 Spyder will no longer open.
Tried the reset procedure, (pressure relief, cable release), but no difference. The yellow instrument is flashing what looks like a 3-pause-2-pause pattern.

Anyone have an idea how to open the roof manually, so I can look under the cover?
Already removed the rear panel behind the seats, but that doesn't give access to the mechanism. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I did read all the posts on this, but have not seen this specific issue.

CB

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Edward, but I have the manual and followed the procedure. The issue is I closed the roof using the override buttons 1/2, but now it will not open. In particular the front hooks will not release (using the Allen wrench) and releasing oil pressure and relaxing the cables does not release the rear pins.
I think it's probably because the is under tremendous tension when closed.

Just looking for some way to release the tension so the pins in back (and front) release.

·
Registered
460 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
if the standard methods (pressure release valve screw behind passenger seat, and cable release for backlid latches) do not work, then unbolt the two pins with the two pairs of 10mm bolts and manually lift the deck, release the front with the allen wrench and manually finish folding it into the roof storage compartment. In my case the cable tensioner motor gear had stripped, which is a common failure with this (German) roof system from 'Capote'.
Also remove the panel behind the seats so you can see the drive motor behind the driver's seat.
Without taking the rollbar covers / speaker grills and top cover off, you can verify and check the tension on the two cables. If when closed these are all the way to the right (facing towards the rear), with the cable ends bend (these are 2" straight end pieces), a simple fix is to adjust the small 9mm nuts (use a small vicegrip with tape to protect the threads) while holding the threaded ends, and adjust clockwise, by a couple of turns at a time. The system will reset when the ignition is turned all the way off (key-out) and then back on. Replace the rear deck pins - watch the shims (use some scotch tape temporarily if needed).
If it's still dead, use the override buttons in the rear glove box. The front button works the pin latches on the front window frame, the rear button operates both the pin-motors in the rear deck and the latch motor, of which you just adjusted the cables (if you went down this path).

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
If no response at all when going to open or close the top: Check to make sure the pressure switch is closing when the parking brake is engaged. Otherwise the circuitry for the top is not energized.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Stoopid capote button...

Also once you have the top working, 1) keep the engine ON when you raise or lower the roof and 2) once you are raising or lowering the roof, do NOT stop the action in the middle. Keep your finger on the switch until the roof is either raised or lowerd to it's full extent!
So very very important. Never, EVER, remove your finger from that button!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi all. So 2004 Spyder. Top has been intermittently problematic but always solved by a tap on the metal panel behind the drivers seat. Today that didnt work. Top went down so far but trunk panel wouldn't lift. Returned top to closed position (so I thought).

However, I now have the flashing top light on the dash and the windows, trunk button and fuel cap release won't do anything - as well of course as the roof button.

I am guessing the car thinks the top isn't fully closed - would this lock out the other items?

No idea what to try, have taken it for a drive and now letting it sit with battery disconnected. Likely a trip to Daytona as there seems to be something more serious with the roof. Given the problem was always with the trunk panel not opening I am thinking hydraulic?

Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So, as an update to my own post. After re-reading threads decided to see what the glovebox buttons would do. Sure enough, light touch on the front one and top closes the last fraction, warning light off, all systems operational. Decided to put top down and if it worked to then go for a drive...

But, I had done all this without the engine running which combined with earlier attempts to reset etc and lots of starting up without driving had, I think, ran the battery down. Showing 10.6 on external voltmeter...Car also hasnt been used much.

So, battery now being charged in my condo which hopefully will solve everything.

First (and last time) I do anything with the top without the engine running...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Here are a few preventative checks;

1. Behind driver's seat, light push thru opening should unlatch top. Key on; front button in rear glove box should latch cover. Latches can be adjusted.

2. Open cover and behind passenger's seat remove plastic cover. Fluid in reservoir for pump should be between two marks.

3. When raising top, you should hear pump run after cover unlatches.

4. If top (bow under fabric) doesn't fold properly add the elastics that are sold by various people on this form.

5. Preform manual procedure to open and close top.

6. To operate top car must be running with handbrake set. Handbrake warning light must be on.

·
Registered
671 Posts
So very very important. Never, EVER, remove your finger from that button!
Not really,
Sometimes I stop in the middle by accident and it finishes fine when I press the button again. I just wish it was not that complicated and heavy. I'm good with light weight "emergency" top a'la early F California Spider

·
Registered
4 Posts
My convertible top won’t unlatch. Everything operates as it should but the top never unlatches. The back opens and comes up but then nothing. No codes or lights.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts