Maserati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O went on a 800 mile trip ove the weekend, and reset the trip meter once I got out of the congestion in the NYC area.

According to the trip computer, we averaged about 62 mph, and got a little over 20mpg doing so.

I think I am due a refund on my Gas Guzzler Tax :D

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The highest speed limit sign I saw on the trip was 65mph.
With an average mph of 62, we spent most of the trip with the speedometer hovering around 80mph.

About 130 miles of the trip were on 40 to 50 mph secondary roads with limited passing zones. These were traveled at about 70mph when the road was empty, and we HAD to push it up to 100+ to get around the pokey locals.

I considered it a spirited drive, with the maximum velocity limited to less than "Jail Time" offences.

The car is great at consuming miles in comfort, be it on the interstate or scenic lane.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I put on 600 miles a few weeks ago with average speed of 74 miles per hour and got 18 miles per gal. I was amazed at the mpg, but more amazed at how my radar system saved my wallet.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I confess, I also had the same surprise on some longer trips in my Coupe.
Although I have not actually calculated the gas mileage, I can attest that
the fuel consumption "efficiency" has been noticed.
I'm planning a longer drive in a few weeks, I'll be more diligent in tracking fuel consumption.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
On a drive to DC and back, I averaged about 23 MPG, including a few 130+ runs, one 150+ run, and an average in the 80-85 range...

No joke, I frequently remind myself what a complete gem of a car I have the joy of driving every day. Yes, it has its rattles and throws an occasional meaningless check engine light now and then, and it doesn't handle potholes and road imperfections like my Lexus, but it is one helluva ride and I think Maserati's return to the USA market in 2002 was a "best kept secret".

To think that you can buy one of these in mint condition for $40-50K is to me the deal of the decade.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got 23 mpg going to Santa Barbara this weekend. Shocked the hell out of me. I did the math three times to verify.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I drove 192 miles and got 16 MPG on this last outing with the Maserati.
Drove a good mix of freeway and regular traffic, and threw in some
mild mountain curves for fun.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Consumption..

I regularly get 21mph+ in my 02 Spyder when I'm doing a long run in fuel conservation mode (light right foot).

Averages out at about 17-18 with normal stop start commuting, blasts and all round driving.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Both of my coupes (11/02 first, now 10/04) here in germany (no general speed limit on highways) needed 13 l/100km to 16 l/100km (if I remember right 14 l/100km is 20 mpg).
I do not use them with much stop/go traffic. I made the experience that driving rather cautious does not make much difference to driving faster...
Bert

·
Registered
84 Posts
Coupe to GS

Good Day All,

What gets me is the diff between the GS and Coupe; in the Coupe I was getting about 20-22 all the time, but the GS has a hardtime getting 18.
Did the extra 10hp drop the MPG that much?

P

·
Registered
173 Posts
I got an average of about 15mpg city/highway combined (1/4 is in city). Highway at speed limit, I think I get around 22+mpg. By the way, do not believe your trip computer, It is not accurate at all. I think it is about 20% better than it actually is. I always measure by fully fill up when the gas almost run out.
pganmol

·
Registered
722 Posts
After the first few tanks at 14mpg, my GS Spyder's mileage rocketed up to a solid 15.1, at about 50% city/50% freeway. Maybe having the top down all the time increases air drag.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I drove from Olympia, WA to Salem, OR and back the other day in the 06 GS that I just got... about 340 miles total... and averaged 19.71 MPG. I was pretty impressed.

-- Garrett

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello- I've got a question regarding fuel economy on the GTs.
The german Maserati site lists fuel consumption for these cars
like this: city 28.3 l/km (= 8.3 mpg), outside of city 13.0 l/km
(= 18.0 mpg). These are standardized numbers that car
manufacturers by law have to list over here. If an emission based
car tax would be introduced (which is discussed right now), it would be
based on these numbers.

This sounds quite worrying (esp. in the city). These numbers are much,
much higher than any Porsche, Merc, BMW with similar engines. Why is
that?

Why are these numbers so much higher than those that people report
here from their own personal experience with their cars?

Any input on that?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The numbers (fuel consumption, CO2) listed by manufacturers in brochures etc. are based on a standardized test cycle defined in european norms. They are measured on a test stand including simulated accelerating, constant speeds, a maximum speed (I think 120 km/h) well below the maximum speed of a car, and also the start-up phase.
They are supposed to be realistic, but if you compare the test cycle values with results of road tests, they are usually (much) lower. Manufacturers probably tune their cars to deliver good results in the test cycle.
If you consider high-power cars these test cycles are hardly adequate, because the engines are operated in a low-power regime where the fuel efficiency always is very low.
Bert

1 - 16 of 16 Posts