Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. Gave up my brand new BMW 335i convertible the other day and got a hold of a 2005 cabmiocorsa. I know nothing about maserati's prior to 2 days ago, and have learned a lot within the last two days. My question is do you have any advice or lessons learned with respect to the 2005 spyder?

Couple of asthetic questions I'd like to know. Is the Grandtourismo spyder just a bodykit differnce in 2006 vs the 2005 model? I know there is a bit of an interior change. One question I have is, would it be possible to get the Grandtourismo body kid for the spyder?

Any engine software mandetory updates I should know about?

Appreciate any/all insight or experience you have and would be willing to share.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I think you may mean the GranSPORT...

The GT is a completely differnt car.. The GS is essentially a Spyder/Coupe with a few performance enhancements and a "bodykit".

In regards to other stuff, check your PM box (upper right)

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
If the car has had a full Maserati service history, I would not think you'd need to do anything to it, except perhaps check the oil level every now and then and drive it hard :D

·
Registered
695 Posts
Couple of asthetic questions I'd like to know. Is the Grandtourismo spyder just a bodykit differnce in 2006 vs the 2005 model? I know there is a bit of an interior change. One question I have is, would it be possible to get the Grandtourismo body kid for the spyder?

Any engine software mandetory updates I should know about?

Appreciate any/all insight or experience you have and would be willing to share.

Cheers
Cheers Moosety2008

(i recommended he show up here, he bought a '05 Spyder CC with Vintage pak)

The Vintage pak basically gave you the GranSport exterior "look" minus a little difference in the front lower spoiler and the door sill's surfboards.

See this thread: http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3471

With regards to driving the CambioCorsa, there are alot of threads on this board, but the main consensus:

1)Avoid using reverse as much as possibly practical. Don't reverse uphill.
2)Avoid using the "auto" button.
3)Stop and go, stop and go, is NOT your friend.
4)Some folks recommend to always use the "sport" button. A much faster - but sometimes more abrupt - shifting than normal mode.

·
Registered
57 Posts
New 05 owner

Get on this forum and read every thread you can... It will be a real education. Also, get used to being stared at, whistled at, honked at, etc. by the general driving public...it is amazing what a reaction people have to these cars. I think the funniest thing I had happen to me was when a back seat passenger in a nearby car made a sign on the spot using a piece of cardboard and a sharpie pen and held it up to the window to tell me "your car is awesome!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Again the answer to your question re the gransport body kit Bumpers/sideskirts do they fit 02 onwards coupe is yes they do straight fit no mods and im pretty sure they fit the spyders aswell, tho i heard it mentioned that the coupe is a few inches longer than the spyder so best to check with a dealer first , i would also take the time to check the prices from uk site www.eurospares.co.uk

Whereas general maserati car prices in the states are some 20% cheaper than the uk the parts from the stealerships seem to be dearer, so check their site for prices then give James Pumo a ring he will be more than pleased to help you they do ship reguarly to the states and worldwide , i am not affiliated to them but a really happy customer who has done what you are thinking of doing and mine has turned out brill at a cost of around $2200 US not including painting

Hope this helps regards loz

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Hello Moose - I'm a former/current BMW owner and recently added an '06 GranSport (GS) Spyder to my stable; and while the BMWs are wonderful examples of precision engineering, the Maserati has a character and style all its own. I love my Bimmers but, I'm passionate about my GS Spyder. From what I've heard (all on this forum) you should be able to bolt on any of the '05 or '06 model year bumper, skirts, and front-end pieces from the GranSport .

·
Registered
824 Posts
Cheers Moosety2008

The Vintage pak basically gave you the GranSport exterior "look" minus a little difference in the front lower spoiler and the door sill's surfboards.
Vintage pack includes chrome doorhandles and chrome side vents on the fenders too.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers Moosety2008

See this thread: http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3471

With regards to driving the CambioCorsa, there are alot of threads on this board, but the main consensus:

1)Avoid using reverse as much as possibly practical. Don't reverse uphill.
2)Avoid using the "auto" button.
3)Stop and go, stop and go, is NOT your friend.
4)Some folks recommend to always use the "sport" button. A much faster - but sometimes more abrupt - shifting than normal mode.
Bcube, thanks for the lookout man! It was getting a little heated in the other forum. Just want to note you bring up excellent points (1-4) The shifting on the spyder is just downright weird, feels like it puts a number on the tranny. Has anyone experienced Tranny issues?

As far as the stop and go stop and go, your totaly right on! Whenever I drove a stick, when slowing down from speed, I don't usually down shift thru every gear till I come to a stop, I shit to N and then based on my speed and rpm, I shift to the appropriate gear. Do you guys drive this way?

I found that I can tap both the left and right paddles at the same time to shit to N, and then quick tap the R lever to the appropriate gear to move for the appropriate speed and rpm. It feels like it gets rid of the constant down shift thru gears that jerk the car and tranny any advice on this?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello Moose - I'm a former/current BMW owner and recently added an '06 GranSport (GS) Spyder to my stable; and while the BMWs are wonderful examples of precision engineering, the Maserati has a character and style all its own. I love my Bimmers but, I'm passionate about my GS Spyder. From what I've heard (all on this forum) you should be able to bolt on any of the '05 or '06 model year bumper, skirts, and front-end pieces from the GranSport .
Thanks Vincenzo. The bmw was great, you said it precision engineering! but man that spyder is just awsome! Looking forward to a productive and durable relationship with my spyder :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Shifting technique

I don't think I would shift the way you described. Respectfully, it sounds like an invitation for problems. If you give the CC tranny a few hours driving time, you should find it smooths out the more you drive it. I noticed the jerkiness had to do with my accelerator foot. Driving with my wife in the car helped me to smooth things out ( she doesn't like getting her neck jerked )....she was sort of like having a driver's ed teacher in the car to critique...

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yes, use sport mode and try to keep your foot in a fairly constant position on the accelerator, that will give the smoothest driving. It will become abrupt at full throttle, but at part throttle it will be fine.

Without sport mode, you will find the car "lurches" between gears.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts