Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I’ve owned a 1989 Bentley Turbo R and what a magnificent piece of machinery. I just purchased a 96’ Turbo R and wondered if anyone has had any experience with them?

Kindly,
Stephen

3,635 Posts
My former boss had one..I drove it home one time and the hydraulic pump on the top of the engine started to leak at a stop light...Smoke Poured all over the place...Rather embarrassing...Last time I have dealt with any of those cars...He would later sell it because of the dirty looks he got driving it....My 2 cents...sorry..J

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, at least your honest. Shoot, I get dirty looks driving the GS anyways lol.

Kindly,
Stephen

3,635 Posts
I honestly like Bentley, but I like a Rolls-Royce better IMO. These cars and the interiors etc are first class..It is way above a normal car..Just difficult cars to own I think...Nobody fixes them and the service department and parts are a joke...Let us know how it works out...J

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I've always liked those cars but Jason's points on servicing always scared me away. Back in their day, those were "the best." For a larger performance sedan, you basically had only that. Maserati was gone and while I liked the E500, it didn't quite compare to the Bentley/RR level of luxury. The Turbo R and the later Arnages are great deals right now.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys, ok, so I backed out of the 96’ and went with a 1990 Turbo R. This has complete service records and all the gremlins taken care of. I’m excited to have the Maserati for the Italian flare and the Bentley for cruising and as a daily driver again.

I will take abetter picture when she’s here.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi CatmanV2,

Yes, that would be a sweet ride indeed. These are great cars as long as you find a good example...kinda like a Maserati...shoot any car for that matter.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I keep getting dirty looks from people because my car is too loud lol. The other problem I have is that everyone is always wanting to race me or they all drive fast. Especially all the dads in their SUVs/Hyundai’s/Lexi/Honda’s and the list goes on lol. Hoping you get the GT Speed.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
145 Posts
Magnificent cars with serious performance and total luxury. I have had a Continental R wide body and an Arrange T both of which were great .The Turbo R shares the same engine as the Continental R with a propensity for Head Gasket failure which is regarded as inevitable and costs about £4000. The Arrange has trouble with tappets which costs about the same.
I part exchanged my Arrange for my current QP6 and have never looked back. The QP is IMHO a far better car. I have the diesel which returns 40MPG compared with 16MPG for the Arnage and it as smooth as silk cruising around town and really rorty in sports mode. The other difference is that the QP attracts admiration whereas a Bentley attracts envy so you need to be careful where you park it

·
Registered
967 Posts
I can't speak too highly of my buddy's 2018 Rolls Wraith as it left us stranded once in Atlantic City and once in Myrtle Beach. At the Myrtle stranding, the Rolls Royce roadside assistance took over 3 hours to get to us :oops:
Anyway, I said this to say, my buddy always makes the statement that his older Rolls were much better than the newer stuff!
CONGRATS on the '96
Rolls.jpg

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have no experience of the modern Rolls Royce. The nearest I came to owning a RR was when I came close to buying a Silver Seraph but I ducked out because it was green and bought the Arrange T instead.
I have never gone for the modern Bentley Continentals as the Forums are full of horror stories of bills for thousands of pounds for seemingly trivial items like rear window brake light!
Enjoy the Turbo R. Sitting in the cabin is a unique experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts