Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to the Forum so far love it!! great info. I just picked up a 1989 228i from a friend and everything seems to run well just a couple of minor problems such as the panel for the a/c and heat does not work has anyone else had problems?? can I switch out the whole panel?? if I can find one lol. any help on this would be great!

Also one of the turbos needs to be rebuilt, can I take it to a shop to be rebuilt like any other turbo or are there special parts???

....Another problem, I had it started and it was running fine then when I tried the horn everything died it wouldn't start after that not even the clock on the dash works anymore I have a new battery in it and i've checked all the fuses but nothing seems to be on, any hints?? and does anyone have any experience with the wiring in these cars??

Thanks again for any info!

·
Registered
5 Posts

A/C panel is easy to change out if you can find one. Try cleaning the contacts on the plug to the unit. Mine is slow to control, often going to far hot or cold before settling into the right temp which it does eventually do. You either have a short somewhere or a dead battery. The only time my car went completely dead it was the battery, I would try another before too much else. What symptom are you having with the turbo?

Bart Hall

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i've been trying to figure out the wiring I replaced the battery but nothing works. I've cleaned every relay, the battery terminals, and replaced every fuse in the fuse box. All the wires underneath the glove box look clean I have no idea what is going on. I'm pretty stumped I don't even know when to begin, I know it runs i've had it started but quickly died when I hit the horn. So I know theres a short there somewhere.... Do you have any hints or tips??? and is there a repair manual I can get my hands on somewhere, still kinda overwhelmed with this lol.

As too the turbos I found out that the gasket is leaking oil into the intake so the engine is burning oil because of that. I think i'm just going to get a turbo rebuild kit and do it myself. I just want to figure out this electrical before I dump more money into this thing.

Any help will be great!! Thanks again!!

·
Registered
5 Posts

If nothing works, then the problem must be at the fuse box. Check for 12v on the fuse pins, likely nothing since nothing works. First check that you can get 12v between the positive battery terminal and any body or engine point to confirm the ground path is good. The main electrical ground is near the headlight hidden by the battery. Remove the battery and clean the cable connection. Then try to follow voltage from the battery positive terminal into the fuse box with a multimeter or lighted probe. Apparently these fuse boxes frequently fail, but usually on one or more circuits not entirely but I suppose that anything is possibe. It is not too difficult to inspect, all the circuits can be unplugged, take a photo or notes of where everything goes, and the box removed and each circuit traced with the multimeter although a major short should be visable. Keep us posted on your progress.

Bart

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed!

Well I kinda figured what you were saying the last post it had to be a major malfunction with either no grounds or no positive. so I checked to two power cables going into the fuse box and funny enough the male connector pulled right out of the fuse box when I tried to disconnect it. So I ended up taking the fuse box out completely and taking the fuse box apart (carefully). There were burn marks on the circuit board from where the one connectors goes in. So I cleaned up both connectors took the old sawder off and re sawdered the connectors back on, they are hardwired onto the circuit board, so I took my time to not burn the board. Anyways after all of that was done I reconnected the fuse box and as soon as I put the new battery in and open the door everything came on!! such a great feeling, even at 2 a.m in the morning lol.

I turned her over and she fired right up (its been sitting for 2 years!) needless to say I have a lot of work to do to get it back into shape. Which brings me to another question if anyone can help. I need both my turbos rebuilt any good shops that can do it for me? plus all the maintenace items, oil filters, spark plugs, tranny fluid etc. Where can I pick it all up, I want replace all the fluids with synthetic. is it compatable with everything??

Thanks again for all the help!! great site!

·
Registered
1 Posts
maserati parts source

For sourcing information regarding the right part number www.eurospares.co.uk has an unbeatable parts catalog with diagrams etc. I buy almost all my parts from lenny celiberti at [email protected]. I have bought parts from all over the world. He is in my opinion the best service for biturbo parts in the world. 100% helpful. Very good prices, both new and used.
Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
I nave a manual for you

Hi
Wecome to the forum. I have a great manual for you. It covers all biturbos. Electrics, mecanicals, specifications, etc. All step by step with great diagrams and pictures. Over 500 pages!
I offer it to all biturbo forum members for $10.00 to cover cost of the CD + shipping. If you want one send me a pm so we can exchange info.
I could not have rebuilt my 85 coupe without it.
Sounds like you need some help. Here it is.
I also have the hard copy of the manual for $50.00 + Shipping

I tried attcahing photos for you but dont know if i did it correctly. I'm not that computer savvy.

Check out my red 85 coupe at Cardomain.com

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts