Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, glad to be here. I am considering the purchase of a 1980 Quattroporte, or a 1985 Quattroporte. I have a few questions, however. I cannot find anything regarding the performance of this car (0-60mph, 1-4mi, etc). I also do not understand why the car is so cheap. Is there something bad about the car I should know? I know that the car isn't the best looking Maser, but that couldn't be all. Is the car reliable? Is $4000-$5000 a good price?

Thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I actually think that it is a fine looking car, given the era that it comes from. The interior is very pleasing. It definitely has a 'wow' factor. I think that it is a very fast car too. Do a google for Enrico's Maserati pages, and there is some nice info there. The big thing with a car like that is to find a mechanic that knows the cars and is willing to work on them, and then not to me miserly with repairs, in other words, do it right. I don't see that a Maserati of that era would be less reliable then a comparable Jag. And the Maser certainly has a lot more style then a BMW or Mercedes. They pop up on ebay every now and then, some are junk, some seem pretty OK. Try find one with the 4.2 litre engine and stick gearchange... at least that is what I would do. These things are so cheap... I could be tempted myself ;)

Ciao, good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
quattroporte

I have an 82 quattroporte with a 4.9 liter engine with 4 42 dcnf weber carbs , ohh and a manual transmission and a sensitork differential from an 85 quattroporte. be sure to check for rust on the hood just under the lip above the embelm and the bottom of the rear doors. if you have to open the trunk too and chek under the carpets too. the drain rails manage to allow water under the door. also if you can get under the car look near the fuel tank too.

it is a good running car, the fastes speed I have had it a was 265 kph or 164 mph. it very good for a 4 door. also chek the suspension if you push on the car and it wobbles the rubber may be worn also it is a good idea to get much stiffer shocks with a lower travel height in the front. at about 120 mph the front raises and telescopes the shocks and it makes it hard to see over the front end. check the fuel filter as well.

Yahya in Kuwait

1979 maserati Kaylami 4.9 l newest purchase

·
Registered
2 Posts
84 in Toronto

I found one here - it needs an oil pan and a new owner.
So, I'm trying to get the repair account and find an oil pan used.
Yes, I work on these things. Mostly on the older cars.
Kentucky will now be one of my stops when I go south again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
81 4porte door key

Does any one know the numbers and letters on the door key of a 4porte? This is the smaller key used on the earlier 4porte, not the bigger key used on say 84 qps. Fred.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
frederichlee
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing