Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am current owner of 2005 CC, love the car and performance.
I have been passively looking for a vintage Maserati for weekend drives, came across this one not to far from my home.
Love the look of the Merak's and Bora's.
Sounds like it is Ok, but needs a fuel tank for starters.
Am I crazy looking at a 30 year old car?
Any other Merak owners that can advise?

Thanks

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hi,
I have been passively looking for a vintage Maserati for weekend drives, came across this one not to far from my home.

Thanks
What questions do you have about the Merak?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hi,

Thanks
The beautiful Merak is a great car, judged by the standards of its period, but like all other cars from the 1970s and early 1980s, Meraks are prone to rusting and they obviously require more attention than modern cars.

I own a 1974 Merak (European model), and it’s a great handler, quite comfortable, and relaxed and stable at motorway speeds. It feels quick and nimble, but it isn't exactly a sprinter; it's a little too heavy for that.

I've had it since June 2006 (I'm the fourth owner), and covered about 10,000 kilometers since then. The body and chassis are in very good condition. The paint is fine – certainly good enough for leaving it as is (it was repainted in the early 1980s) for the time being – but it's far from show condition. Mechanically, the car was okay when I bought it, but since major work hadn't been done on it for two decades I decided to go for a full engine rebuild, new clutch+++, new battery and plug cables, and replacing all hoses, lines, and fluids over the winter 2006-2007. All parts were available, mostly from MIE and Bill McGrath, and included one new cam, two valves, new chains (upper and lower) and guides, new piston rings, new bearings, new water pump, etc. The engine work was done by Ferromek, a small workshop in Oslo that specializes in vintage Italian cars. Sigurd Amundsen, who runs the company, actually owned that particular car for twenty years, having imported it from Switzerland in 1981.

Yes, all that work was expensive and one might argue, on hindsight, that I should perhaps have searched for a car in even better condition. However, buying a car – even a purportedly “perfect” one – is always filled with uncertainties…

Living with the Merak? Well, one has to take care of the inevitable electrical issues, and fix the occasional small things that tend to happen with older cars: just to given an example; the cable operating the driver's side door handle snapped and had to be replaced (the fix was inexpensive (just a cable), but it took an hour or so to do it since the door panel had to came out). Otherwise, it has been a tale of regular servicing (mainly, oil and oil filter change once a year), topping up fluids, and keeping the car fresh and clean inside and outside.

This winter I'm doing a few more servicing items; I’ve just replaced the air filter, and new plugs are next on the list. The car also needs new tyres, but I haven't made up my mind yet whether to go for (rather expensive) Michelin XWXs or a more economical option such as Pirelli P4000s.

The car has been very reliable and great fun, and I’m extremely happy with it – and so are my daughter (9 years) and son (8 years), who often come along for a drive!

Cheers,
Gabriel

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good luck and enjoy your Merak! I have a 1980 SS it is great fun I have had mine for about 9 years now and drive it as much as possible, (about 5,000 miles a year!). The first 7 were totally uneventful bu the last few years I have needed some rather expensive work, most notably a transaxle and new floors. Currently I am having a bunch of minor issues taken care of, a new exhaust system and the rest of the body work done.
I am hoping for another 30-35,000 miles of uneventful fun.
Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts

New to the forum, I'm in love with a '68 QP for sale in my area, but the engine sounds like it needs to be rebuild, although the owner claims its only the valves.

Gabriel- what is the cost of a thorough engine rebuild for these cars in your experience?

Many thanks for your help.

The beautiful Merak is a great car, judged by the standards of its period, but like all other cars from the 1970s and early 1980s, Meraks are prone to rusting and they obviously require more attention than modern cars.

I own a 1974 Merak (European model), and it’s a great handler, quite comfortable, and relaxed and stable at motorway speeds. It feels quick and nimble, but it isn't exactly a sprinter; it's a little too heavy for that.

I've had it since June 2006 (I'm the fourth owner), and covered about 10,000 kilometers since then. The body and chassis are in very good condition. The paint is fine – certainly good enough for leaving it as is (it was repainted in the early 1980s) for the time being – but it's far from show condition. Mechanically, the car was okay when I bought it, but since major work hadn't been done on it for two decades I decided to go for a full engine rebuild, new clutch+++, new battery and plug cables, and replacing all hoses, lines, and fluids over the winter 2006-2007. All parts were available, mostly from MIE and Bill McGrath, and included one new cam, two valves, new chains (upper and lower) and guides, new piston rings, new bearings, new water pump, etc. The engine work was done by Ferromek, a small workshop in Oslo that specializes in vintage Italian cars. Sigurd Amundsen, who runs the company, actually owned that particular car for twenty years, having imported it from Switzerland in 1981.

Yes, all that work was expensive and one might argue, on hindsight, that I should perhaps have searched for a car in even better condition. However, buying a car – even a purportedly “perfect” one – is always filled with uncertainties…

Living with the Merak? Well, one has to take care of the inevitable electrical issues, and fix the occasional small things that tend to happen with older cars: just to given an example; the cable operating the driver's side door handle snapped and had to be replaced (the fix was inexpensive (just a cable), but it took an hour or so to do it since the door panel had to came out). Otherwise, it has been a tale of regular servicing (mainly, oil and oil filter change once a year), topping up fluids, and keeping the car fresh and clean inside and outside.

This winter I'm doing a few more servicing items; I’ve just replaced the air filter, and new plugs are next on the list. The car also needs new tyres, but I haven't made up my mind yet whether to go for (rather expensive) Michelin XWXs or a more economical option such as Pirelli P4000s.

The car has been very reliable and great fun, and I’m extremely happy with it – and so are my daughter (9 years) and son (8 years), who often come along for a drive!

Cheers,
Gabriel

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Atco, no seller wants to admit that the engine of his prized posession needs a complete overhaul. I think we can easily agree though, that on an engine of that age to not go through it thoroughly is risky and not worth while even if the owner is correct...but probably is hiding something.

As a rule of of thumb, it is good to expect a budget of $15-20k to go through a complete engine with a mechanical problem...correctly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.