Maserati Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've been looking at Q5s for awhile and finally think this may be the right time to take the plunge, however I haven't been able to get a good understanding of their dependability. Let me explain my frame of view:

I've owned three M120 cars (90s Mercedes V12s - an S600, an SL600, and currently another S600). These are what I consider a good sweet-spot for repair costs. Redoing the cooling system (radiator, main hoses) runs about $1000, a MAF goes for about $300, and various trouble items (from switches to other sensors) run in the $100-200 range and are easy enough to DIY. Alternators, $500 or so for parts. Active suspension is somewhat costly at $2,000 for all four corners but generally lasts 100,000 miles between replacements. It's also good in that you can get away with an 'ignore things that don't prevent driving' strategy if you want to get away with cutting expenditures for a short time. Typical annual expenditure on repairs and maintenance is about $2000.

I've also owned an Audi S6 (V10) that was a total dog, and ran about twice as expensive, despite purchasing a well-documented final year model with all typical problem areas addressed. I was not confident on driving that one, say, 500 miles for a trip.

For all of my cars, I typically drive them at 110% the majority of the time. Running to redline, hitting the limit of grip, exceeding it, etc.

I'm interested in 09+ Sport GTS exclusively due to the passive suspension, ZF 6-speed, and seemingly-less trouble-prone engine variation. I see several available anywhere from 40,000 to 80,000 miles in the $25k range. It would be a second car to my S600, driven equally, adding about 8-10,000 miles a year.

What would the expectations be for one? Say for each of those repairs - cooling system done at an indy, other parts DIY, what is your own annual expenditure and mileage? Can you get away with ignoring things such as a rear window regulator or a seat sensor?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte Sports GTS 2010
13 Posts
Great choice, I have an MB E63 AMG S, and also have a QP GTS 2009, definitely buy only the GTS and nothing else, they only made 1847 of them between 2009 and 2012, they will be an appreciating collectable because they are rare and it is the best looking and best sounding 4 door saloon ever built. Have a look at this review it came out few days ago.

I owned mine for 18 months, currently having about 40,000 miles on it. So far I had to change disc/brake pads, cam cover gaskets, sparkplugs, front shocks, engine mounts, gearbox seals and fluid, right door actuator and new battery, I did most of the work my self because I like working on my cars. The cost of all these parts is similar to the cost of servicing the Mercedes. I will have to be honest the build quality of Maserati is no where near as good as the Mercedes, the materials (rubbers, seals, screws, bolts, electric components, panels, plastics, leather) are definitely better in the Merc, The Merc definitely feels more solid built and is more reliable, however the Maserati definitely sounds and looks better and puts a big smile on your face when you hear that sweet rumble of that Ferrari V8.

Best place to buy parts is scuderia Parts, they deliver world wide Via DHL and they are the best priced.

·
Registered
Quattroporte Sport GTS 2012
26 Posts
I’m with ^

I have been a BMW driver for the past 20 years, cars known for being driver cars. I’ve had a few 6 series, the closest BMW comes to a GT. I purchased a 2012 QPV Sport GTS in January which had luckily just had a major service with a number of the big ticket items done, such as cam covers (gaskets), front disks/pads/tyres and a new battery. No car I have driven in the past 20 years has put such a smile on my face or has given me as much adrenaline. Yes, the BMW is a superior car quality wise and feels rock solid, but I guess that is not the thing that makes you enjoy a car, it’s something you look for to avoid bad feelings.

My QP only had 15k miles on the clock and was dealer serviced with 2 previous owners. I’ve driven about 2.5k miles since without any problems and I’ve been to the dealer only for a precautionary alignment and chat. Service intervals are officially every 12.5k miles but it’s items like brake pads /disks that are expensive….

These cars are expensive to fix, so get a well looked after example and check the state of pads/disks to use when negotiating the final price. You won’t regret it…..

·
Registered
163 Posts
the little things that break (switches, plastics) typical of any car and BMB as well, can be costly when they add up but there are more broken BMW and Merc. models to cannibalize for such items. The breaks, from a dealer, are costly but aftermarket ones are becoming available at considerably less. Slowly, aftermarket parts will materialize and cost of ownership will drop. I'm talking about suspension bushings, suspension, brakes, etc. Interior parts will always be costly so get a clean model with minimal signs of interior wear and if you are looking at one with signs of wear, PRICE those parts prior to negotiating so you know what they will cost to replace if you are one for pristine interiors.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
2012 QP Sport GTS here. 65,000 miles and going strong. I drive it during the Chicago winters with snows, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts