Maserati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
is it me or is the 08 just ungly? for months i expected the wow...but i don't know it doesn't look all that maserati'ish.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
is it me or is the 08 just ungly? for months i expected the wow...but i don't know it doesn't look all that maserati'ish.
Yep! I said it when I first saw it and it looks even worse out in the light. It looks strangely Merc/BMW like. Oh well, to each his own. I love the new Alfa and Dino from what I've seen. More of what the Maser should have been (IMHO).

·
Registered
742 Posts
Why must they use black trim??

One of my favorate exterior features of our cars is the mono colored mirrors. Its a great look when the mirror completely matches the body paint.

Just like the AM, the new Maserati has black trim around the mirror??? Why...... and what are those horrible black lines on the roof???

IMO, I think that gives the car a much more smooth aggressive look....

I would like to see the new GT in person, but I am not in any hurry to shell out 130K... And to be honest, I don't think I would ever buy one new...

130K will get you one sick slightly used Gallardo... A very nice Aston or a Bentley.

Maserati should price this coupe in the 100K range.. A tad below everyone else.

CM

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i simply do not understand why that automotive blog try to pass this as news. the GT has been shown in production form everywhere. seeing a taped up one 'on the Ring' is not exciting now. those 'spy' pictures just doesnt make the car look good.

i check out the CG animated GT on the http://www.granturismoisback.com/ and it doesn't look all that bad. the configurator is not up but at least i think the darker colors (black especially) looks good. i still do not like the headlights. and perhaps they tried too hard to follow the MC12's front or even the birdcage. you can see the pininfarina's original sketches show it having a very 599ish side profile.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It looks like a Nissan to me. Now do something cruel to yourself and go and look at one of the "old" coupes, next to this. Bleh. They missed the boat on this one.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Marketing Lesson Number 1

1) It's much easier to sell to your existing user base rather than try to steal customers from your competitors.

Now if more than half of the existing Coupe users do not like the new shape, where are your initial sales going to come from??? From MB/Porsche/BMW users? Good luck to you then. Go on to any of these forums and do a search on "Maserati" and see how many posts comes up. People there aren't interested in italian EXOTIC's.

At least give us a CC or 6sp version on day one, you might win some of us back in.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
i simply do not understand why that automotive blog try to pass this as news. the GT has been shown in production form everywhere. seeing a taped up one 'on the Ring' is not exciting now. those 'spy' pictures just doesnt make the car look good.

i check out the CG animated GT on the http://www.granturismoisback.com/ and it doesn't look all that bad. the configurator is not up but at least i think the darker colors (black especially) looks good. i still do not like the headlights. and perhaps they tried too hard to follow the MC12's front or even the birdcage. you can see the pininfarina's original sketches show it having a very 599ish side profile.
It's news because it's on the street in daylight instead of on the showroom floor! It's shocking how butt-ugly it is in daylight and THAT'S news. Bla bla bla Birdcage and MC12. Those cars look wonderful. This car DOES NOT! Any similarities are purely coincidental. Maserati F'ed up. Good luck. Next car will be Labo, Dino or Alfa. Did I spell everything right this time M!? [sic]

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
It's news because it's on the street in daylight instead of on the showroom floor! It's shocking how butt-ugly it is in daylight and THAT'S news. Bla bla bla Birdcage and MC12. Those cars look wonderful. This car DOES NOT! Any similarities are purely coincidental. Maserati F'ed up. Good luck. Next car will be Labo, Dino or Alfa. Did I spell everything right this time M!? [sic]
amazing you find that to be news. whats a labo?

·
Registered
35 Posts
OK - I have to disagree - and maybe I'm going against 85% of the memebership of this forum, but I think this car is a home-run in terms of design.

I GUARANTEE it will look even better in person. The lines over the rear fenders and into the tail are nothing short of genius. The C pillar is finally svelte - it doesn't look like they had to "bubble out" the back window as on the current coupe - and it's a REAL 4 seater. There aren't many cars of this stature that can seat 2 adults in the rear seats, and none (that I can presently think of) in this price range. The nose of the car is pure A6GCS, and while the references to the Honda S2000 are understandable, I would argue that Maserati had license to employ this nose treatment given their design legacy.

I'll give you that the current performance numbers and slush box leave a lot of room for griping, but I think we all acknowledge that this is not the ultimate version of this model - Maserati had to give themselves room to improve performance - and lets hope they improve it significantly.

One other item of note: This car, even with the slush box, is true to Maserati's GT heritage. 50 years ago this year, Maserati launched their first GT production model. They could have gone in the direction of Ferrari and made their cars a bit cruder to focus more on performance. They also could have eventually gone for the more brutal and cutting edge performance of Lamborghini. But they made a specific decision to create a true grand touring car - one that would do cross continental trips quickly, in luxury while being somewhat understated.

I think this car remains true to that heritage. Now - if it can entice new owners into the fold, FANTASTIC! And I would wager that the 85% of distaste for the car found here will dwindle to closer to 30% by the time the car can be seen & driven in person.

Just my .02

1 - 17 of 17 Posts