Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a fun weekend car and have been going back and forth between what I want. I know that repairs and things are easier and cheaper with a corvette (I'd get a 05, 06 or 07). They both have around 400hp and torque, but the cars have different focuses and owner experience and I'd like any advice you guys have. I also love how you can take the top off with the corvette.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Those two cars won't feel anything alike whatsoever.

The only thing a Maserati and Corvette share is that you can see the hood when driving.

Driving both is the only way for you to tell what is best.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,586 Posts
Yup, I highly recommend test driving both cars if possible. The answer should be pretty obvious after that.

It's really just another apples to oranges comparison.

Corvette = sports car (faster, nimbler, sits lower)

GT = cruiser (slower, sits higher)

The GT will be the rarer of the cars and will draw more attention if that's important to you.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The Corvette is more similar to the older Coupe Cambiocorsa, both 400hp with a transaxle and either a manual or automated manual.

They are different driving experiences for sure, a Corvette is much easier to maintain because of its large aftermarket and is ultimately a mass production car.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Corvette aftermarket is everywhere though.

This is a great forum for its little niche but Corvette Forum is just on another scale, if you're planning to DIY everything.
I've owned quite a few Corvettes and have been a member of the CorvetteForum for more than 20 years. The C6 and the Granturismo are completely different types of cars. If you're looking for raw performance in a cheaply built car, buy the Corvette. If you're looking for a relatively fast, decent handling, semi-exotic, buy the Granturismo. Not knocking the Corvette, but I’ll take my Granturismo over a C6 Corvette any day. It's in a different league.

Reactions: ddsski

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you want something special, then get the GT! There are so many 'vettes driving around everywhere. Can't go out without seeing a dozen or more of them. Don't see a lot of GT's though.
Although, if you're looking for raw performance in something special and not very expensive to maintain, I would suggest a Viper.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,586 Posts
The one area that the GT trumps all other cars in it's price range (as a used car) is sense of occasion.

Other cars may perform better and/or are cheaper to run and maintain, but whenever you slide into the driver's seat on the GT, you know you're in something special. :)

Reactions: BrianGTC and ddsski

·
Registered
185 Posts
The one area that the GT trumps all other cars in it's price range (as a used car) is sense of occasion.

Other cars may perform better and/or are cheaper to run and maintain, but whenever you slide into the driver's seat on the GT, you know you're in something special. :)
That describes it perfectly.

I love the raw, straight-line power of my AMG, but it has no sense of occasion.

The only thing I think that beats the GT in this feeling is a Bentley Continental.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Similar to @jw38 , I have had several Corvettes and have been on the Corvette forum for over 20 years. The knowledge available on there is more than any other forum I have been on because the cars are so popular. I had a 2009 Coupe with an LS3 (430hp) before getting my GranTurismo. I really liked my Corvette and had (what most fans consider) the best sounding exhaust for it (Corsa Sport). I am still amazed at how much better I like the sound of the GranTurismo when driving it. It just sounds both mean and sophisticated. I still turn down the music and put down the window just to hear it when driving around.
Cost-wise, most things are going to be much cheaper for the Corvette instead of the GT. There are just many more sources available for parts and service. This definitely was not just a financial decision. This GT is just an amazing looking and sounding car so I wanted the opportunity to own one at least for a while. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
34 Posts
corvette hands down, more fun to drive, cheaper all around. repairs cheaper, parts cheaper.

GT is ok, but i would never buy a Maserati again.

a lot of people buy them because they think they are exotic and they are cheap ( people will get butt hurt about it, but they buy it show off because generally no one knows about cars and they think its a exotic 100 plus thousand car, but you can get them for 20-30 thousand as the value is completely in the toilet, and most likely in your town you will be the only one person with it.

its sad when the biggest claim about the car is the exhaust note, like who gives a damn. its slow, heavy, interior is out of date, exterior is very nice but thats it.

im going to get alot of hate for the comment, but i would never tell anyone to go buy Maserati, i have owned many cars, Maserati is at the bottom for me.

just be realistic, your getting it for how it looks and most likely to show off, not for performance.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Notice the key word with the vette is always "cheaper"

·
Registered
34 Posts
Notice the key word with the vette is always "cheaper"
do really think because its cheaper to repair its, its a shitter car?

would you honestly tell someone to buy a GT over a corvette if they were the same year?
moneywise, what will hold its value over time?
because we have seen what the GT does, its worth less than a new Toyota
and i have one, its nothing special

·
Registered
512 Posts
corvette hands down, more fun to drive, cheaper all around. repairs cheaper, parts cheaper.

GT is ok, but i would never buy a Maserati again.

a lot of people buy them because they think they are exotic and they are cheap ( people will get butt hurt about it, but they buy it show off because generally no one knows about cars and they think its a exotic 100 plus thousand car, but you can get them for 20-30 thousand as the value is completely in the toilet, and most likely in your town you will be the only one person with it.

its sad when the biggest claim about the car is the exhaust note, like who gives a damn. its slow, heavy, interior is out of date, exterior is very nice but thats it.

im going to get alot of hate for the comment, but i would never tell anyone to go buy Maserati, i have owned many cars, Maserati is at the bottom for me.

just be realistic, your getting it for how it looks and most likely to show off, not for performance.
Show us where it touched you

but really for performance, a Vette will blow the doors off a GranTurismo. Blow the doors off some ferraris too. That’s what it’s for.

buy the GranTurismo if you want one of the best built, luxurious grand touring coupes with a back seat on the market. It’s subtle, you don’t get the WOW factor of a Ferrari or even a Z06 (Maserati GranTurismo doesn’t even say GranTurismo on it anywhere) but you do get lots of power (geared for a freeway), 1000 pounds of sound deadening, and amazing suspension, gorgeous lines, and one of the worst stereo systems ever put in a 6 figure car 😂

buy the vette if you want to race, track it, or just obliterate anything short of a modded Z06 at any stoplight. Corvettes have instant street credibility, a massive fan base, and if you’re looking to tune a car, it’s the one.

·
Registered
512 Posts
do really think because its cheaper to repair its, its a shitter car?

would you honestly tell someone to buy a GT over a corvette if they were the same year?
moneywise, what will hold its value over time?
because we have seen what the GT does, its worth less than a new Toyota
and i have one, its nothing special
...not to mention our GranTurismo are not anywhere near as expensive to own repair as people think they are. Or pretend they are.
If the corvette had a back seat I’d have it. It doesn’t, so I have a GranTurismo.

·
Registered
34 Posts
...not to mention our GranTurismo are not anywhere near as expensive to own repair as people think they are. Or pretend they are.
If the corvette had a back seat I’d have it. It doesn’t, so I have a GranTurismo.
I agree with what you said, people need to know what they are getting into.
but i would push back on the repair is cheap.

no one really makes aftermarket parts, you have to pull off a salvage or buy new.

most stuff breaks on the chevy you can go to rockauto and buy anything, and its cheap.

you have to buy specific oil filter from dealer. if you have to replace tie rod end, you cant go to advanced auto and buy it, any suspension parts you cant find unless you buy new or salvaged.

its kind of nightmare really.

I wish it was a two seater but im in my 20s with no kids and i never use it for anything.

im just trying to let this guy know that moneywise, it doesn't make sense to get it, buy something that will holds it value, now that mC-20 is out the GT value is going to be even worst i think.

·
Premium Member
2011 Gran Sport S
39 Posts
Having just pulled the trigger on a GT-S I have to say its nothing like a Vette. Really shows the difference between a sports car and a Grand Touring car. I would never take any of my Vettes on trip over an hour long but the GT feels very comfortable for longer trips. Sports cars are for the young, GTs are for the experienced.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A corvette is faster, more reliable, easier to work on, easier to tune, has a massive replacement parts supply, and has an incredible aftermarket following to do just about any mod you can think of.

It's also staid, unimaginative, and nearly impossible to be unique or stand out in any way, because everything's already been done by someone already.

I could have LS swapped my Porsche when the flat 6 gave out after a race. There's even a company that makes whole kits for that, and Haltech makes pre-made wiring harnesses for any LS that would have made the entire swap incredibly easy, plug and play, and I could have had a cheap and easy 400+ whp car with limitless engine tuning potential. Instead, I bought an F136S, and went through the atriciously long and difficult process of doing everything from scratch myself for an engine with comparatively no aftermarket support, and very limited recources to find information on stuff like the engine wiring harness.

Sometimes, it's not about having something that's quantifiably 'the best'. It's about having something special. Same reason I bought an Alfa Romeo when the Giulia came to the U.S. It's not the fastest car in the world, or even it's segment/price, and the aftermarket is proving fairly slow to grow, but I love it. It just feels special, and I know that if I had spent my money on another new BMW, Porsche, Mercedes or Jaguar, I wouldn't get the same feeling I do from my Alfa. They are all great cars, and I still enjoy owning and driving them, and each one has it's niche it's good for, but the Alfa is the one I take to work every day, or go run errands, or just cruising around town hunting a burrito. It turns an otherwise uninteresting trip into an enjoyable experence.

To bring it back to the original question, it comes down to personal prefereance. The vette is faster and easier and etc etc, but uninteresting. The Maserati will be harder to live with, but is special.

Apologies for the ramble, I'm a bit bored at the moment.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts