Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, A good friend of mine that works at a Maser store told me that the Maserati online ordering system now has the option codes for a 4.7 Ltr. V8 (the same one as the new Alpha I suspect) and a Cambio Corsa trans. He said the system won't allow an order yet, but this confirms that it will be available very soon. Must be some sportier GT version in the pipeline.....

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
I seriously doubt that.

Just checked Maserati's website and the dedicated GranTurismo website and no mention of the 4.7l version.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a fact...

You are doubting it based on what?

I was refering to the factory online ordering system that is for dealers only, not available to the public. If the dealers ordering system has an option code for a CC trans and a 4.7 V8 then it means that these items will be available for sure. They don't just put option codes on for fun. On another note its a very logical option for them to have.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Oh I see.

Well, I doubt it based on the fact the GT has just come out and launching a bigger/more powerful version soon after its launch would be a marketing disaster for the company, as well as a killer for resale values of the 4.2l version of the GT.

However, from an engineering/technical point of view, I agree that using the Alfa 8c as a starting point, would make it ideal and very quick to come up with a Maserati version thereof. But I just don't see the commercial sense of it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The Italian's never have made MUCH sense. I can't think of the car right this moment but there are a couple that have done powerplant and even facelifts after the first year.

Oh yah the Pontiac GTO. Obviously NOT the same type of car but the 2004 had the 5.7L with 350HP and the 05 (mine) had the 6.0 400hp motor with the new hood and new exhaust outlets.

If Maser makes that move count me IN. I am a very impatient person when it comes to cars and I can't see my self waiting a year on a list in line for a CAR but this might just be one of those I'm willing to go over sticker on (which also against my policy).

I sold mine in Dec and have been missing the hell out of her :(

I think the new GT is a BEAUTIFUL car but dont think it should have been release without options for REAL drivers. i.e cc and a bigger engine.

So I think I'll continue to pursue picking up this M6 until Maserati comes back to it's roots :(

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Althought the M6 would not be my choice by far, I agree with what you're saying. A 450hp GranTurismo would be seriously awesome :D But probably almost as expensive as an F430 :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't see why it would be that big of a price jump. If the base is around $100k, I'd think the jump would be $120-130. Now that, I'd buy.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The Italian's never have made MUCH sense. I can't think of the car right this moment but there are a couple that have done powerplant and even facelifts after the first year.

Oh yah the Pontiac GTO. Obviously NOT the same type of car but the 2004 had the 5.7L with 350HP and the 05 (mine) had the 6.0 400hp motor with the new hood and new exhaust outlets.

If Maser makes that move count me IN. I am a very impatient person when it comes to cars and I can't see my self waiting a year on a list in line for a CAR but this might just be one of those I'm willing to go over sticker on (which also against my policy).

I sold mine in Dec and have been missing the hell out of her :(

I think the new GT is a BEAUTIFUL car but dont think it should have been release without options for REAL drivers. i.e cc and a bigger engine.

So I think I'll continue to pursue picking up this M6 until Maserati comes back to it's roots :(
i dont see why a pontiac would be discussed here.

manufacturers put over various versions of cars.
6er, they have a 645Ci and then after a couple of years, an M6.
a 650Ci replaces a 645Ci. this is very typical product planning.

now the Granturismo 4.2 and 4.7 appears to be only 1 year apart, and the hp difference of 50hp perhaps... so it could really piss off the 2008 owners.

it really is not fair to the early devoters...

unless... they keep the 4.2 with an AT and a 4.7 with the DS. but i think this is unlikely (considering their marketing trend with the QP GT-S).

·
Registered
28 Posts
new GT

I have heard from my dealer that there will be a "GTS:) " about 40-50 more hp with a cc,should be available in limited numbers around july as a 2009 model-shame it will not be lighter!.Probably an xtra 15 k above current price.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My dealer in Houston also confirms that a sportier verion of GT with 40-50 more HP and CC trany will be available in limited numbers in 2009. NO information on pricing yet.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The "Made for Maranello" article on pg 78 in the March 2008 edition of Automobile Magazine discusses the 4.7L, which will be released this fall to address the "lack of power" of the current powerplant.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just buy an F430 and be done with it! ;) .. then again.. naaah

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Europeans hate auto transmissions and more juicy gossip

One more quick point...

People in Europe don't drive automatic transmission sports cars ever....its considered really stupid to have an auto in a sports car. The CC tranny would be very necessary for the European market.

I may have some more hot juicy Maser gossip through the secret dealer grapevine.....something about a new QP body change and a 4.7 in the QP....shhhhh, don't tell anyone. More details coming soon.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The "Made for Maranello" article on pg 78 in the March 2008 edition of Automobile Magazine discusses the 4.7L, which will be released this fall to address the "lack of power" of the current powerplant.
I forgot to mention that the article was relatively interesting - focusing on the how the single Ferrari designed V8 engine is being used in the Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, F430 Scuderia, and the GT. The GT didn't get a great review when compared to the the other two cars, which of course we all know that both cars are twice the price of the GT. In sum "[t]he Maserati [GT] could do with more muscle and sharper responses, but its relaxed attitude is in line wiht the typical behavior of a classic grand tourer."

·
Registered
76 Posts
One more quick point...

People in Europe don't drive automatic transmission sports cars ever....its considered really stupid to have an auto in a sports car. The CC tranny would be very necessary for the European market.
I don't agree with you, There are more Porsche Turbo's sold with automatic box than manual in Europe, there are almost no Ferrari's 430's sold with manual boxes in Europe...

I bought a new 911 997 carrera S with manual because i don't like the automatic gear buttons on Porsche, i love the paddles!! i test drove the Ferrari 430 many hours, even on circuit and that F1 gear box is absolutely amazing.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
My dealer in Japan confirmed as well that Maserati plans a GT-S version of the GranTurismo in 2009 with the 4.7l Alfa 8C engine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You are confused MASERATIBE

I don't agree with you, There are more Porsche Turbo's sold with automatic box than manual in Europe, there are almost no Ferrari's 430's sold with manual boxes in Europe...

I bought a new 911 997 carrera S with manual because i don't like the automatic gear buttons on Porsche, i love the paddles!! i test drove the Ferrari 430 many hours, even on circuit and that F1 gear box is absolutely amazing.
MASERATIBE, I think that you are confused. The paddle transmission is a manual transmission (has a clutch plate) that is changed by hydraulic actuators. I was referring to the new ZF 6 speed Automatic Transmission (has a torque converter) which currently is the only option in the new 08 GT. There is a huge difference between the way a TORQUE CONVERTER versus a clutch feels. An F1 paddle shift and also many other companies systems (like Lambo's BMW's Porsche etc.) is a manual transmission that shift by actuator. Torque converters and Auto trans. are getting much better, faster shifts and sporty too, but its still not the same as an F1 CC trans....or an actual regular manual trans. I am European, if being British counts for anything, I can tell you that Europeans don't have Auto Tranny's in high end sports cars or in fact almost any car (I lived in Germany for two years and sold cars for a living while in Germany).

·
Registered
695 Posts
I can tell you that Europeans don't have Auto Tranny's in high end sports cars or in fact almost any car
Nobody in Europe has bought into the MB/Mclaren SLR, then? :) Or the lowly AMGs?

My understanding of current - or maybe burgeoning future European automobile culture -is that as SMGs/F1/DSG/DCT, and even Automatic Trannies improve each generation, the ol' five/six speed manual is beginning to be seen as something plebeian and associated with econoboxes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts