Maserati Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Alfa 164 ls, 07 Quattroporte exec. 07 Santa Fe.
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after over a month with my new head unit and existing amp, I have not had one instance of no-sound. That, for me anyways, confirms that the amps are likely not the issue. I believe it is a no-communication issue between the NIT and amp. So, if you are dealing with the same issue, try clipping the red-green "12v signal power from NIT to amp) and attach that to the 12v power wire at the main harness 9not constant 12v, switched 12v). The only drawback to this is that the amp will have 12v at all times car is running, even with the NIT off. But, if you no longer have the "no sound" issue, that confirms the problem with your setup.

·
Registered
299 Posts
So, after over a month with my new head unit and existing amp, I have not had one instance of no-sound. That, for me anyways, confirms that the amps are likely not the issue. I believe it is a no-communication issue between the NIT and amp. So, if you are dealing with the same issue, try clipping the red-green "12v signal power from NIT to amp) and attach that to the 12v power wire at the main harness 9not constant 12v, switched 12v). The only drawback to this is that the amp will have 12v at all times car is running, even with the NIT off. But, if you no longer have the "no sound" issue, that confirms the problem with your setup.
I too get this intermittent issue. I do speculate that it's not an amp issue per se' When my audio dies, it's always comes back after letting the car sit overnight, or a few times simply by restarting. Overheating? Who knows. I wanted to follow up to see if had any no-sound since giving the amp power all the time.

Also, could you clarify which two cables you splice/clip? I assume it's a matter of feeding power from the NIT (is that the radio unit?) to the AMP constantly instead of just when the radio is on?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trying to remember but I recall the location of the harness connection but wire from the NIT (radio) to the amp (power on) is red with a green stripe. Possibly from the harness that feeds the speakers (makes sense). So, if you are adventurous, clip that wire and connect it to the 12v switch wire at the main harness (I do not recall that color, look up some recent posts as it is in there...possibly yellow-red larger gauge). The amp will be on the always-on so if you wanted to add an intermediate switch for experimentation, do that. It's easy to revert back to stock.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Trying to remember but I recall the location of the harness connection but wire from the NIT (radio) to the amp (power on) is red with a green stripe. Possibly from the harness that feeds the speakers (makes sense). So, if you are adventurous, clip that wire and connect it to the 12v switch wire at the main harness (I do not recall that color, look up some recent posts as it is in there...possibly yellow-red larger gauge). The amp will be on the always-on so if you wanted to add an intermediate switch for experimentation, do that. It's easy to revert back to stock.
Thanks my friend, appreciate all your write-ups - well done, and glad you got it sorted!
Cheers

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks my friend, appreciate all your write-ups - well done, and glad you got it sorted!
Cheers
And JUST TO BE SAFE AND SECURE, CHECK THE RED/GREEN WIRE WITH A METER TO CONFIRM IT IS A 12V OUT FROM THE HEAD UNIT WITH ACCESSORY ON.... I SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED THAT but also figured you would do so anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts