Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 3500 miles on my q-porte and the brakes have sqeaked since day one, this only occurs at the last point of braking at a stop sign or a valet. This is quite embarrassing. My dealer has done their best, they have de-glazed the brakes 600 miles, replaced the brakes 2500 miles, and finally replaced the rotors 3400 miles. They have finally come to the conclusion that "it's just the way the brakes are, the local maserati rep has said this is acceptable". Well, to me it isn't acceptable, and i ABSOLUTELY, ABSOLUTELY, love the car!!! I don't want to trade it in, or move to another brand. For $129,000 it shouldn't be operating like this. I also drive a Bentley GTC (no problems) a Range Rover Supercharged (no problems), and an SL65 (no problems) yet it seems that the dealer and the maserati rep have adopted the phrase, "they are racing brakes and this is the reality of large brakes". my SL65 has large brakes and never a peep out of the brakes.

Can anyone give me advice? It is tough to support a brand if there motto is, "they are racing brakes and this is the way it is"

My suggestion to the dealer is, lets take 3 q-porte gt sports, 2 used and 1 new and if the brakes squeak, then my car is "reality", and then i just move to a Bentley Flying spur or something like that.....BUT, if the 3 cars don't make a sound then my feeling is they should continue to attempt to get this right or give me a new car..

Any thoughts?

Dean

[email protected]

·
Registered
793 Posts
I would try to find a slightly softer pad.

It seems like they may be using hard pads and a softer pad would maybe correct the squeeking. The wheels will dirty up faster with softer pads but it should stop the squeek.

I had the same problem with a 733 BMW. I found at that time aftermarket pads that were better, softer, less expensive, and the squeek stopped.

Another thought is that there could be problems with the calipers or their mountings. It could be they are not aligning properly and thus the whole pad may not be squarely seating on the rotor.

Is it the front, back, or both? Try to narrow it down.

Just thoughts as it's hard to believe an 07 would exhibit those issues.

This would keep me from buying the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Help....

i am going to suggest the softer brakes tomorrow when i meet with the Owner of Lake Forest Sports Cars. Again the dealer has been good in this situation, but i need this problem solved.

I love the car so much that i am tempted just to deal with it, but i am conflicted because $130,000 isn't chump change. The dealer should know that i trade in cars every 6 months or so, and i am sure that don't want to lose me as a customer. But i would have a hard time buying another Maserati or even a Ferrari if the large brakes cause this.

But again, i want to take 3 Quattroportes out from the dealership and see if they have this same problem and then go from that point.

It was orginally the rear brakes, but the dealer's service rep claimed it was the front brakes...Now it seems to me it is all the brakes, but i am just confused at this point.

·
Registered
603 Posts
squeak

If I am correct, the pads are ceramic which are known to squeak regardless of the make of vehicle. Regardless, my dealer told me that the squeak is "normal" and that it tends to decrease as the mileage goes up. I am at 9,000KM (5400 miles) and no change in squeak so I am not sure it that is correct yet. Will give him benifit of the doubt. However, it doesn't really bother me as the brakes work great otherise. If you are interested you can check out the Brembo link which describes the QP Sport brake:

http://www.brembo.com/ENG/Car-Brakes/Co-castBrakeDisc/Co-castBrakeDisc.htm

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i have similar problem every now and then with the drilled brakes on my QP. you just have to drive it (brake it) fairly hard every now and then. it will sort itself out.

i would not pay to get softer pads to correct something that is under warranty.

... If you are interested you can check out the Brembo link which describes the QP Sport brake:

http://www.brembo.com/ENG/Car-Brakes/Co-castBrakeDisc/Co-castBrakeDisc.htm
correct me if i m wrong, but that brembo co-cast brake disc is for the QP Sport GTS.

·
Registered
603 Posts
My mistake (again!)

correct me if i m wrong, but that brembo co-cast brake disc is for the QP Sport GTS.
Eeks! That's what happens when you try to convince your wife you are spending quality time with her watching the Emmy's together while at the same time trying to read the forum! Will try and do better next time.

·
Registered
909 Posts
M! is right.

These things will squeak if you don't use the brakes. You've gotta drive this car like a sports car. Find yourself a clear road, get the car up to 50-60mph and brake hard. Like almost hard enough that your ABS is starting to kick in. A couple cycles of that and the squeak will be gone. Drive the car a bit harder generally and the squeak probably won't return.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Driving it hard

unfortunately it didn't work, and i certainly know what you are talking about....Keeping in mind this isn't a Ferrari or Porsche which are meant to be driven very hard....It is still a luxury car...and if you disagree then Maserati forgot about 100hp to make it a faster performance car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had 3 cars with Brembo's and...

They all squeeked. Most of the squeeks are the fronts and only when the car is slowing during the last 15mph. I'm not crazy about it, and I've tried suggestions, but I never eliminated the squeeks. I was told it has to do with the design and the squeeks were actually caused by the retaining pin. While the design allows for quick and easy pad replacement, the squeek is the down side. If you find a solution, let me know

------------------
radgts3bk - 05 Spyder GT, triple black, 13k mi.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Solution

My dealer has been really great and wants to solve this, they told me that they had another Q porte sport gt out yesterday and it didn't have any brake issues. They are attempting a few more solutions before we take it to the next level.

I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I had one customer who never drove his car very hard and whose brakes always squeaked, until we changed his rear pads for some made by Porterfield, which eliminated 90% of the squeak. This was an 05 with the old rear brake design, and I haven't run into any 07 squeakers, but if you end up looking for a little bit softer pad, give them a call.

As for the performance\sports car argument, see attached image...

:)

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Performance

Pretty impressive, actually....I stand corrected. if my dealer can fix the brakes, A: they will have a client for life. and B: i will put down a deposit on the Maserati Q-Porte GT S

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
my take on the luxury/performance thing: if you are not driving it hard, why bother with buying a Sport GT, or even a Sport GTS???

just get a QP or QP Exec GT.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
why

it's nice to be able to drive hard sometimes, BUT having to do it all the time is not what an owner should be expected to do....If i drive it any harder, in order to clear the brakes, it could be described as "beating the crap out of it" it's a four-seater that i have my family in quite a bit....Driving it any harder would be abusive. And having to drive it hard just so the brakes don't squeak doesn't seem right, or they should at least tell you/disclose to you when you are about to write that $129,650 check that it is a REQUIREMENT TO HAVE QUIET BRAKES! Furthermore the 2 we drove the other day didn't make a peep and they were both Q-Porte Sport GT's.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I would suggest trying a different brand of brake pads.
(my Coupe started doing the same thing, but it is not the the point where it pisses me off yet.)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
it's nice to be able to drive hard sometimes, BUT having to do it all the time is not what an owner should be expected to do....If i drive it any harder, in order to clear the brakes, it could be described as "beating the crap out of it" it's a four-seater that i have my family in quite a bit....Driving it any harder would be abusive. And having to drive it hard just so the brakes don't squeak doesn't seem right, or they should at least tell you/disclose to you when you are about to write that $129,650 check that it is a REQUIREMENT TO HAVE QUIET BRAKES! Furthermore the 2 we drove the other day didn't make a peep and they were both Q-Porte Sport GT's.
as far as you determined, you do not have a REQUIREMENT TO HAVE QUIET BRAKES! you just need to get it fixed. or trade it in for the sport GTS. who knows if those brakes will give you any less issue.

you probably have different standards as to 'beating the crap out of it' and 'abusive'.

sorry but i drive my QP spiritedly, and that's how you enjoy these cars.

otherwise, a LS600h can also carry your family quite a bit and you can drive it hard sometimes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Response to M

Thanks for responding, i was confused on the tone of your response until i re-read my Message, My message didn't convey wanted it to, so here is clarification.

1. I do expect the brakes to be quiet, It is a requirement for me

2. Maserati dealers have an obligation to disclose potential squeaking if you do not drive the car spiritedly, which, by the way, i do. (This is assuming what you are saying is true that all brakes squeak) I am not convinced i should just know about the brakes considering i didn't read anything on it in the Road And Track review of this car. This is in addition to any other research i did when i talked to maserati owners. How was i to guess that?

3. My point (which i did not clearly write) is that i do drive the car aggressively and any harder would be abusive.

4. The brakes on the other 2007 Quattroporte Sport GT's i drove on monday were quiet, so maybe just maybe it is the car.

5. My dealer is doing everything they can

5. I thank you for you for bringing up the "option" of an LS600h, but i have done pretty well with my stable of horses.

Thanks

2007 Maserati Quattroporte GT Sport
2007 Bentley GTC
2006 Mercedes SL 65
2007 Range Rover Supercharged
2008 Hummer H2

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
M:

I think that Lexus did a great job on that car, although i think is is suited for someone my fathers age, 59 rather than my age 37.

If they made a tuner version i would consider it....(assuming the brakes don't squeak...LOL)

Dean

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
my apologies for not knowing what age you are.
that didn't quite matter anyways, cos if anyone who took mark and my recommendations of 'driving hard' or braking hard at 50-60 mph as 'beating the crap out of it' and 'abusive', certainly a lexus would be more suited for that person.

i believe maserati has the obligation to sort out the problem you have in hand. however, i do not think it is maserati's obligation to disclose minor issues unless it is at a level that requires recall. my tech told me exactly what my brakes problems were, and it got sorted out. simple.

they only expect an average person to be able to start and drive a car around. (QP owners to leave the transmission in Auto... ). Either they are assuming too much or too little. may be they expect owners with a stable of horses to know how to stop a squeeling pig?

But to really experience the depths of these cars, they (Maserati, AMG, Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc) offer these driving classes for the owners to get to know their cars and their quirks. no need to guess or rely on R&T.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Just a couple notes.

If your brake squeak is due to glaze buildup on the pads\rotors, it will take a few days, maybe a couple of weeks to accumulate and squeak. Getting in another QP wouldn't be a good measure of whether it will squeak based on how you drive the car, unless you are the sole driver for a couple of weeks. And then it's also possible that the cars pads and rotors were seated under different conditions, which will also make a difference.

Unfortunately spirited \ aggressive \ abusive driving is a pretty subjective description. There was a lot of people that said the guy driving his MC12 in the snow was abusing it, vs. his feeling that he was just enjoying the car, and the rock chips made it look meaner. I'm not saying that you don't drive it aggressively, I'm just saying that it's pretty much impossible to figure out what people really mean by spirited \ aggressive \ etc over a forum.

If you do a lot of your driving in normal city \ suburban \ light traffic or above, chances are good you're going to build up some of that glaze, even if you do tend to drive somewhat aggressively. The only way to really figure out if it's a problem with your particular car, or just in your driving habits, would be to get in another QP for a couple of weeks. When we worked through this we had to try a lot of different approaches, including disc resurfacing, several different brake quiet compounds, even different shims, so it may take a few tries and some patience to find what works for you. It might even take raising your spirited driving threshold on a fun weekend route. Either way I hope you do get things solved so you can fully enjoy your car.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts