Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning Everyone:

New to the forum and new to Maserati. I am aggressively looking to purchase a Maserati QP. I really really really like the look, power, and craftsmanship of the QP. I was lucky enough to drive a 2009 Granturismo S two weekends ago and really enjoyed it. Although it would be a great car to drive- just not practical for me plus $150K+ price tag!!!!! I have had a Mercedes, BMW, and currently have a Lexus- all of which have been great cars, but I like something a little more exotic. The QP is the best looking car on the road if you ask me.

Here's the run down on the one I am looking at:

2007 QP (not an executive or sport)- Duoselect with 600 miles on the odometer. Reasonability priced and has not be titled with an individual owner - dealer has always had possession. I am going on the assumption, that this car should be in great working order because of the mileage. I am thinking maybe the tires could need some work and some fluid top-off, but otherwise should be okay (any thoughts?).

The questions I have (reviews on this car are so few and far between- I thought I would go straight to the source- OWNERS of Maserati):

1) I have heard mixed reviews on the Duo-Select. Is it pracatical for an everyday car (I drive 50 miles round trip everyday- highway and city driving)? Is it better to drive in standard mode vs automatic? What the life of the clutch and cost?

2) How aggressive is the maintenance and general cost (ie: just a typical oil change and check-up)? What's with the tires not lasting very long?

3) Anybody know about service at Maserati of Cincinnati?

4) Does the car like to be driven hard (high acceleration / RPM's)?

5) Any other things you could think of I need to know? ;)

I would really like to have one with Automatic transmission, but I can't find one with this low on mileage for the price. I will be purchasing within the next couple of weeks or so. Your input is greatly appreciated. :)

·
5,887 Posts
Welcome to MaseratiLife. I don't own a QP but here are my thoughts...

1) I have heard mixed reviews on the Duo-Select. Is it pracatical for an everyday car (I drive 50 miles round trip everyday- highway and city driving)? Is it better to drive in standard mode vs automatic? What the life of the clutch and cost?
I think an automatic is a much better choice for a daily driver. In general, most agree that standard mode is better than auto on the Duo-Select cars when it comes to clutch life. Expect clutch life to be around 15K-20K miles (some get more, some get less) and replacement to run $3K-$5K.

2) How aggressive is the maintenance and general cost (ie: just a typical oil change and check-up)? What's with the tires not lasting very long?
Oil changes every 3K miles @ $300ish and an annual service at $1,000ish. As with any high horsepower car, tire life is relatively short and new tires are expensive.

3) Anybody know about service at Maserati of Cincinnati?
I can't help with this one

4) Does the car like to be driven hard (high acceleration / RPM's)?
Sure, don't be afraid to use it as designed

5) Any other things you could think of I need to know? ;)
You will never want to go back to a boring German car again :D

I would really like to have one with Automatic transmission, but I can't find one with this low on mileage for the price. I will be purchasing within the next couple of weeks or so. Your input is greatly appreciated. :)
If the car you are looking at isn't exactly THE one then walk away and wait for the exact car or just up your budget. The last thing you need is to settle for second best. You will regret it down the road. Don't think that a 600 mile car will turn out to be any better than a 5,000 mile car a month from now. It sounds like you are going to put miles on it anyway.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
581 Posts
Drive fast-drive hard-drive often

Welcome! Can only agree with Travis. If you prefer an automatic wait until you find one that you really like. The duo select is such a different driving experience that you may get frustrated and it is more maintenance intensive so in the end you may kick yourself unless you really prefer the the way it drives. Do try to test drive both transmissions for more than five minutes at the dealer if you can so you can make a good decision. There should be pretty good deals out there - just a matter of a little patience and the perfect car for you will come along. Keep us posted on your search and good luck!!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Duo is the only way to go in my opinion. I waited until I drove both a QP Auto and a Duo before buying and KNEW the Duo was for me. Unless you sit in heavy traffic on your commutes or have huge hills to scale with stoplights on them, the Duo is your car. Auto is just flat relative to the Duo.

I have a 2007 Exec GT duo. Base vs Exec vs Sport doesn't matter much. It all comes down to options. You can always pop whichever grill you like on the car as well as whatever wheels. I have the Exec GT grill with Sport GT wheels.

For what it is worth, anything over ~$75K for that car from the dealer is too much based on today's prices.

Good luck!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I use my QP for daily driving, in a mix of city, highway and mountain roads. Having driven both Duo and Auto, i much prefer the Duo. If you want the QP for it's looks only, get an auto. The more driving experience/interaction you want, the Duo becomes more attractive as a choice. There is however the reality that the Duo is more expensive to own - clutch replacement and the complexity of the thing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I use my QP as a daily driver. I was used to the f1 style driving coming from BMW M5 & M3 so I prefer the duo. If you install the DBW your clutch wear isn't a issue. I got 33,000 out of my clutch, could've gone longer but decided since the pilot bearing needed replacing why not replace the clutch.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I bought the 07 auto and love it for the pure styling. I bought it online from Tonkin in Portland Oregon and had it shipped to OH. Similar to you, I bought it with 350 miles on it at a good price! I never drove the duo, but had heard a lot of negative press about it. I'm don't really care about the "feel" of it...the auto is perfect! Now I have 9500 miles and no problems as of yet. Tires are still good and no trans worries. Service is Columbus is weak and not sure about Cinci. Good luck and make sure its under 75k as previously discussed. Let us know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use my QP as a daily driver. I was used to the f1 style driving coming from BMW M5 & M3 so I prefer the duo. If you install the DBW your clutch wear isn't a issue. I got 33,000 out of my clutch, could've gone longer but decided since the pilot bearing needed replacing why not replace the clutch.
Thanks for the all the help- you don't know how much I appreciate it. I am going to play stupid here - what is DBW? If it slows clutch wear- I need to be an expert on it. ;)

On another note - the car I am looking at is mid 60's. The automatic in the 2007 seem to be around 25% higher than the duo-select. With the responses I have been getting- it seems to be a matter of taste and preference in the duo-select.

I am a little apprehensive because this will be the first "standard" car I have driven. I mean my Lexus and Mercedes both have paddle shifters, but really you are not controlling a thing- the ECU is.

·
5,887 Posts
what is DBW?
DBW stands for Drive By Wire. It is the system your car uses to engage the clutch, control throttle response, et al. A popular tuner, Formula Dynamics, makes a Drive By Wire Enhancement Module (DBWEM) that improves all areas the DBW system controls. An expected side effect of the DBWEM is prolonged clutch life. Here is a link to more info...

http://www.formuladynamics.com/products/qp_dbwem/qp_dbwem.php

I am a little apprehensive because this will be the first "standard" car I have driven. I mean my Lexus and Mercedes both have paddle shifters, but really you are not controlling a thing- the ECU is.
From a driver input perspective, the Duo-Select QP won't be any different than the operation of your Mercedes or Lexus. ECU controls everything other than gear selection. You will find it identical to your other cars with paddles.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Welcome to the site and to Maserati. I live in Lexington, KY and have a 2006 GS Spyder.

Bought it new from Scott in late 2006. He is terrific and will do whatever he must to help you without the pressure.

I drive my GS in Sport Mode/Manual only. However, it is not my daily driver. It is my fun, go nuts car. I have 13,000 miles on the GS and the clutch is fine. No issues. In following some of the other threads, Maserati got their clutch issues fixed in 2003/2004. The car is meant to be driven aggressively.

I have had the car serviced at Maserati in Cincinnati and as hard as they try, they are not very good. Scott has stepped in and taken care of all the issues. Stay in touch with Scott and you should be OK. They pick the car up and deliver it for me. However, they also keep it for 2-3 days every time. I spend annually $1,600 to $2,000 annually on service with Maserati in Cincinnati.

As a sidenote we have a great Maserati club of the Southeast US. We get together at least 3-4 times a year and have some great runs and have met some fabulous folks inlcuding the wifes. We also enjoy our wines. Mostly Italian.

Would be happy to talk or meet with you. Send me a private note.

Bill

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hey, I have a 2008 quattroporte sport gts - it only came in Automatic - I have not driven a QP in Duoselect, however I did just buy a Gransport in Duoselect F1 transmission. I will say this- my QP, is outstanding daily driver, I drive into manhattan to work everyday, and it is simply smooth as silk. It also has the sport mode and the paddles if I want to get a little crazy with it. I also just bought the DBW, the ECM, and am putting a larini exhaust on it. That should spice things up some, not that it needs it! I can smoke anyone I want on the highway with the QP, and feel safe doing it. I have not driven the QP in duoselect, but I hear it is a tad bit faster, and more sporty. I think you will like it either way. If you are looking to get a sports car feel with luxury looks, then go with duo select. I love my gransport, it is not my daily driver, it is my weekend warrior, that I love to push, although there is no place to really speed here without the damned cops on your ass! I like the duoselect on the Gransport as well, it feels VERY VERY SPORTIA!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts