Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know of a reputable exhaust shop in the DFW area to convert my exhaust to straight pipes?

I was hoping to remove both the back and center boxes. Thanks! Jim

Also what new tips should I buy?

·
Registered
681 Posts
We'll have an actual exhaust system set-up pretty soon. Should be less than $1,000. We're in Bridgeport about an hour outside of DFW.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet! Just looked at your site. I will be getting 19" rims and tires as well.... when will your system be ready and do you have any other rims you recommend for the coupe? Thanks Jim

I have done work on the lake out there before.... honestly, I would have thought I would have a better chance to have God walk in my living room than see a Maserati shop in Bridgeport!!!!:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jim,

Kevin at MVP was the one that I was telling you about yesterday that would be able to souce a lot of what you need. He is not only a sponsor of this board, but is also very helpful on Ferrarichat as well.

As you know, I sold my Aston V8 and it is delivering today. Being the director of Maserati sales here at Park Place, they really didn't like the fact that I drove a new Aston Martin (which happens to be across the street from our dealership). Therefore, it looks like now that my car has sold, I will be buying one of our new GranSport Spyders to replace it. I had looked at 550 Maranellos and a few other Ferrari's, but at the end of the day I think the Maserati has the least amount of downside when purchased right (that means brand new with 4 year 50k mile warranty and far less servicing costs than the Ferrari).

You will love you car and let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Kevin, IO would love to get together with you and try to figure out something for the Maserati owners here in town. Maybe a rally or some other driving event like the Ferrari guys put on. You can PM me on that. Thanks.

Karl Chiao
Park Place Maserati

·
Registered
681 Posts
We're always at Bridgeport Lake on the weekends riding our Jet Skis, we like to work hard but play harder. We've mainly been retaill and wholesale and don't depend on local customers to survive and we got our warehouse here at a great deal which is one of the reasons we are out in Bridgeport, but yes we get some funny looks driving around our Ferraris and Maseratis, it's not the everyday sight.

We're designing the system on January 2nd along with our exhaust manifolds, test pipes, catalytic converters, ECU tuning reporgrams and the MVP500 kit so I would expect for it to be available around March, but since your local I can have the fabricator here make an extra one for you so you don't need to wait that long. I will PM you the final price when it is available.

As far as wheels go our main seller is HRE wheels but we do some I-Forged also. Between the two wheels I would be suprised if you could not find a design you liked but as always we carry virtually any brand of wheels so if you have interest in something else don't hesitate to ask.

Our site is somewhat incomplete it will be getting worked on heavily in February I have about 150 items I want to add to the Maserati section so I apologize if it's not very "complete".

If you're ever in the area give me a ring on my cell 405-604-1252, I'd love to buy a fellow Maserati owner lunch and we could take a small drive together, I know some very nice roads that have virtually no traffic that are very fun to drive on.

P.S. - Is your car cambiocorsa or GT? If it's cambiocorsa I could give you a deal on the labor for the exhaust because I need to get a Cambiocorsa on the lift here to compare it to my GT and make sure none of the CC plumbing is going to cause any problems with our exhaust manifolds. Edit - Sorry long day at work it was right in the title "GT".

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
EuroCarNut said:
Jim,

Kevin at MVP was the one that I was telling you about yesterday that would be able to souce a lot of what you need. He is not only a sponsor of this board, but is also very helpful on Ferrarichat as well.

As you know, I sold my Aston V8 and it is delivering today. Being the director of Maserati sales here at Park Place, they really didn't like the fact that I drove a new Aston Martin (which happens to be across the street from our dealership). Therefore, it looks like now that my car has sold, I will be buying one of our new GranSport Spyders to replace it. I had looked at 550 Maranellos and a few other Ferrari's, but at the end of the day I think the Maserati has the least amount of downside when purchased right (that means brand new with 4 year 50k mile warranty and far less servicing costs than the Ferrari).

You will love you car and let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Kevin, IO would love to get together with you and try to figure out something for the Maserati owners here in town. Maybe a rally or some other driving event like the Ferrari guys put on. You can PM me on that. Thanks.

Karl Chiao
Park Place Maserati
Karl,

Thank you very much for the praise, I have sent you a PM.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Kevin, Thanks for all the input. I am looking to get the exhaust done next week. Is that possible? Also I am thinking the black rims with the machined lip style. Just brought the car back from PPM today. Cant wait to mod it up a bit. I am in for any kind of get together here and will help if needed. My car is not a CC... straight up 6. (only stalled it twice on the way home):rolleyes:

Karl, you are great to deal with! Thanks for everything! Anyone looking for a great experience, please dont hesitate to call him! Jim

·
Registered
681 Posts
Masher44 said:
Hi Kevin, Thanks for all the input. I am looking to get the exhaust done next week. Is that possible? Also I am thinking the black rims with the machined lip style. Just brought the car back from PPM today. Cant wait to mod it up a bit. I am in for any kind of get together here and will help if needed. My car is not a CC... straight up 6. (only stalled it twice on the way home):rolleyes:
Next week may be pushing it but within two weeks would definantly be a possibility. I will keep you updated as they start tearing my car apart for the project. You can even listen to my 06 GT before making the decision to make sure you like the sound!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sweet... let me know.... I will come out for the dyno party!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Just to let you know, Jon's brake and muffler shop on Rowlett Rd. In Rowlett did a $350 cat-back straight pipe conversion on my Viper and is THE place to go for us North Texas Viper owners (probably 50 or more Vipers). If they'll do a Viper, they'll probably do a Maser.

Sorry Kevin ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Masher44 said:
Anyone know of a reputable exhaust shop in the DFW area to convert my exhaust to straight pipes?

I was hoping to remove both the back and center boxes. Thanks! Jim

Also what new tips should I buy?

OK. Tomorrow I am getting my exhaust mods done:

Getting rid of X pipe and going with straight back all the way from the CATS into new 3 inch dual tips.

Should I cut out the front two CATS or just go straight back from the two front CATS? Thanks Jim

I am hoping to get a really agressive sound without it being unbearable.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Masher44 said:
OK. Tomorrow I am getting my exhaust mods done:

Getting rid of X pipe and going with straight back all the way from the CATS into new 3 inch dual tips.

Should I cut out the front two CATS or just go straight back from the two front CATS? Thanks Jim

I am hoping to get a really agressive sound without it being unbearable.
I don't think you can leagally remove your pre-CATs or your main CATs (plus the emissions computer will complain). Straight pipes from the CATs back is great since the CATs actually provide a little muffling. Most exhaust guys prefer a crossover to balance things out. These are the mods I'm having done to mine. Where are you getting your work done?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BeeYouZeeZee said:
I don't think you can leagally remove your pre-CATs or your main CATs (plus the emissions computer will complain). Straight pipes from the CATs back is great since the CATs actually provide a little muffling. Most exhaust guys prefer a crossover to balance things out. These are the mods I'm having done to mine. Where are you getting your work done?
Jerry's in Lewisville.... so the front cats will stay and the X will go along with the back mufflers? Will the computer still complain if I do this?
How many cats do I have?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Masher44 said:
Jerry's in Lewisville.... so the front cats will stay and the X will go along with the back mufflers? Will the computer still complain if I do this?
How many cats do I have?
There's a pre-cat on each side followed by the actual catalytic converters just off the exhaust manifolds. I believe it's the pre-cats that have the thermocouples to the computer but the car may not pass emmission tests if any of the cats are removed.

You are correct. straight pipes from the cats back to the tips. The computer will compensate for the flow change over time but may run a little rough until it zero's-in. Ask your muffler guys opinion if a crossover is better than straight. There are 2 schools of thought on this and it's somewhat like a religion.

Let me know how it goes and I'll use them if you like yours. What was the quote? If I remember, Jon's B&M in Rowlett charges around $500 with tips.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BeeYouZeeZee said:
There's a pre-cat on each side followed by the actual catalytic converters just off the exhaust manifolds. I believe it's the pre-cats that have the thermocouples to the computer but the car may not pass emmission tests if any of the cats are removed.

ok that is what I am doing. He told me that it will sound a little different without the X pipe back there and you will be able to hear each side more distinctly instead of having it mixed. Other than that no difference so I figure I will try it that way and see what I like. price is 350 for the job with tips.

where do you live/ work? i am at white rock lake...let me know if you want to hear it. jim

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Masher44 said:
BeeYouZeeZee said:

ok that is what I am doing. He told me that it will sound a little different without the X pipe back there and you will be able to hear each side more distinctly instead of having it mixed. Other than that no difference so I figure I will try it that way and see what I like. price is 350 for the job with tips.

where do you live/ work? i am at white rock lake...let me know if you want to hear it. jim
Jim,

I live and work in Plano. I just bought the car and am having it transported from Minneapolis. Should be here around the end of January (right Scott?). After I take delivery, I'd like to meet up to hear the before/after. This is the first mod I'll do. Any V8 engine that rev close to 8000 RPM needs to be heard!

Buzz

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BeeYouZeeZee said:
Masher44 said:
Jim,

I live and work in Plano. I just bought the car and am having it transported from Minneapolis. Should be here around the end of January (right Scott?). After I take delivery, I'd like to meet up to hear the before/after. This is the first mod I'll do. Any V8 engine that rev close to 8000 RPM needs to be heard!

Buzz
cool. I ate at your Hooters yesterday.... . your wife hav any nice single friends that like cars & boats?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Masher44 said:
BeeYouZeeZee said:
cool. I ate at your Hooters yesterday.... . your wife hav any nice single friends that like cars & boats?
A buddy of mine and I eat at Hooters every Tuesday and Friday. We get there around 11:15 or so to avoid the rush. That won't change after the Maser but I may have to park way out there now....

It's funny that being in her 30's most of her girlfriends are still married. Go figure.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Car can be SERIOUSLY heard now.... think I will need a resonator or twelve:cool: :D

3.5 inch DT tips.

Car is filthy ... sorry

Jerry's in Lewisville did a great job!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Masher44 said:
Car can be SERIOUSLY heard now.... think I will need a resonator or twelve:cool: :D

3.5 inch DT tips.

Car is filthy ... sorry

Jerry's in Lewisville did a great job!!
Is it too loud for your taste? I had my Viper done. The first week it sounded too loud then I got really used to setting off car and some home alarm systems.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts