Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on autotrader.com looking for 06 Gransports and see alot of them under 70K.

Is the bottom falling out of the GS market? Is the value plummeting because of the GT and future GTS?

I was ready to buy one in Dec for 84K. Now that I'm shopping again, I'm amazed to see them in the 60s.

Steve

·
Registered
478 Posts
In August I bought one from the dealer for mid-$70's. Great car, very friendly warranty department, no regrets from me. Based on a recent trip I made to the showroom, expect to pay 70's-80's for a clean GS with low miles, so in some regard the bottom's not falling out of the market. To me, this car is just a tad too complicated to buy off the street.

As far how much to pay, depends how expensive that extra few thousand is to a buyer. I wanted (relative) peace of mind so I paid for it.

In any case, if value plummeted I'd consider buying a second one for a spare.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No doubt. I thought about picking up a 2002 for the engine alone (to put inside a Ferrari 355 should its engine ever go tink).

I was just really shocked to see multiple choices from dealers below 70K for cars with under 10,000 miles.

Steve

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up buying a Ferrari 355. I ended up not liking it as much as I thought I would (never test drove one). It was starting to really grow on me but someone offered to buy the car so I sold it.

Right now, I'm deciding on a 06 GS [67K with 5K miles on it] versus a 360 [more expensive but a different kind of car].

It's a non-Maser dealer. My thinking is:

- At 67K, this is a good price for a low mileage car.
- Even if it needs a new clutch, we're not talking that much to have it replaced.
- Warranty should protect me against major problems.

I don't have the service paperwork. I was going to get the VIN and call my local Maser dealership to see if they can tell me anything about the car (not sure if they'll voluntarily give me that information).

Would you guys PPI a car under warranty?

Steve

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't have the service paperwork. I was going to get the VIN and call my local Maser dealership to see if they can tell me anything about the car (not sure if they'll voluntarily give me that information).

Would you guys PPI a car under warranty?

Steve
Privacy concerns might stop them from giving you the history?

I would absolutely get a PPI on a car with a warranty. I bought a BMW 7 series with 8k miles on it a couple years ago and didn't do a PPI only to find out later the car had been in a wreck. Had I had the PPI done, I'd think some of this could have been discovered b/f I bought it. Paint thickness was was off and a couple errors in putting the car back together that only a trained tech might have spotted.......

·
Registered
455 Posts
+1 on the PPI and a carfax as well as all service receipts.

There are alot of cars out there where the prices are very cheap with little or no upkeep.
Thats the price of buying a pre-owned, leased car.

Some things I've seen:

Coupe at Sears Santa Monica for a service. (probably oil & lube)

Guy removing spare tire cover & loading manure bags into the trunk forcing
trunk shut with all his weight.

Helped a woman at the gas station fill air in her tire. Rim did curbplay
probably over 50 times. Mentioned she drove auto 100%, never used paddles.
Also never been over 65-70mph. - turning car in, next car to be a Prius.

Some owners I've spoken to casually, mentioned the car is too expensive to service, skip services.
(this is when I say "oh, really?" & politely walk away)

Saw a coupe at bodyshop, 3rd crash in a year according to shop. all 3 the owners fault.

My neighbor, husband & wife, get into their quattroporte, starts it up and immediately takes off
with .01 seconds of warm up time every morning.

You never know what fool had the car before you.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I am also told that when dealers get cars returned/traded in, and the condition isn't quite up to the standard, they sell the car to the brokers which in turn end up at other "premium used car" lots.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Shit in the boot......?

What was that guy loading his trunk (Maserati trunk no less) with manure....?

funny..........

·
Registered
224 Posts
While I don't disagree with most of the discussion... and independent dealers are by far my least favorite place to buy a car, I've got to say... even with authorized dealers, it really depends who you're talking about. I don't have any personal experience with Maserati of Minneapolis, but I've seen reviews, and they uniformly speak highly of you guys... however, if you look through these boards you'll find that is very much NOT true of every FM dealer. There's one in Northern California I'm thinking of that has a very bad rep. So I'm not sure I would agree that just because you're dealing with a licensed dealer you're getting the best car, or the best deal, or are completely comforted that the car has not been abused. I think your only real defense is an independent inspection of the car. I have no idea what the policy at Mas Of Minn is, but I've dealt with a number of dealers that resist or flat out refuse to allow PPIs. Not to mention the usual substantial premium associated when buying from a dealer. Personally, when I balance the dealer's premium against buying from an individual with a record of how well the car has been maintained, and a PPI, buying from the individual usually wins. Of course, if they don't have records, or won't allow a PPI... walk away.

Obviously, if the car comes with an extended manufacturer's warranty from the dealer, that would be a factor in favor of the dealer (i.e. "certified pre-owned") - but if its just the balance of the original warranty, well, you'd get that from the individual also.

The unfortunate truth about selling right now is that there are a lot of used Maseratis on the market at the moment, and there aren't many buyers - maybe the economy, maybe the GT, maybe Mas just isn't high enough profile, I don't know.

On the other hand, I read Michael Sheehan's article on Ferrari depreciation recently, and perhaps the current used Maserati prices are right in line with expectations?

http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/article.php?reqart=SCM_200703_SS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts