Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 05 Spyder GT. I read all of the reviews and "cowl shake" was a common theme. So when I felt vibrations, especially on rougher roads, I felt like it was a personality of the car. After driving for a few weeks and getting more "in tune" with the vehicle, I'm not sure if it is cowl shake, vibration, or a combo of both. I came out of a Boxster which I felt was very tight. When I analyze the symtoms, the rear view mirror vibrates all of the time, there are vibs and steering column shake. I've also read on this board of mirrors separating from the glass and clutch balancing vibs.

My real question for the experts (you) is: Is this Spyder personality or a bug? and what feedback can I expect from the dealer vs. what do I hold the line on.

Thanks in advance
radgts3bk

05 Spyder GT - Triple Black - 10k mi.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i really don't mind the feel, except for the steering column shake.
it is boreline on annoying with the steering wheel shaking on the slightest uneven road.

·
Registered
530 Posts
It's part of the personality of the Spyder and what you can expect from the dealer is bupkis. It's not the deealer's fault. It's what happens when you chop the top off a coupe to make a convertible.

You might be able to spend a LOT of your own money to develop some additional bracing for not much reduction in the shaking and at the expense of adding a lot of weight.

Learn to enjoy - it makes a great latte. :D

·
Registered
722 Posts
The GS spyder is even more fun, as the GS shocks are stiffened well past the body structure's ability to cope. I was thinking about mounting the 50lb "cocktail shaker" dampers from a '69 Camaro convertible around the front corners of mine.

It's gotta be the shakiest $$$$ car around. Best bet is to think of it as an endearing fault. I think it's why they dropped the cupholders in the GS, they would've needed to add a splash guard.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't have much vibration but I have multiple rattles. I've been to dealer multiple times. No real help. What I do is turn radio volume up. Seems to solve the rattle problem.

·
Registered
202 Posts
it’s called the Italian shuffle,

it think it’s a way of adjusting the back without going to the doctor.

30 min. of driving in L.A. and all your bones are like new ja ja ja;)

-Willie

·
Registered
23 Posts
What amazes me is how they can put out a product and miss the fact that the car shakes more then and old MG...That Is crazy and then they say they want brand loyalty. I have and 02 black spyder and when I have someone with me I have to pick the roads so they don't notice the shake as much..JG

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
What amazes me is how they can put out a product and miss the fact that the car shakes more then and old MG...That Is crazy and then they say they want brand loyalty. I have and 02 black spyder and when I have someone with me I have to pick the roads so they don't notice the shake as much..JG
wow. i have not been in an 02 but certainly my 05 does not shake more than an old MG.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Ideally there shouldn't be any shake but it's almost inevitable when you build a convertible that you're going to get some. It's just a fact of life when you remove the roof.

The trade off is how much shake can you live with cause bracing adds weight/decreases performance.

Maserati misjudged how much shake customers were willing to put up with in the 02 Spyders. Later model years have more cross bracing and less shake.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The point is there shouldn't be any shake! "Get with it, these cars are expensive and the customer should not be the test bed."
may be it really is the 02's.
again, i dont think my 05 shakes any worse than SL's or 911's of the same year.

·
Registered
177 Posts
does anyone know of any after market

cross braces for use in the front engine compartment that may help with the rigidity and this address the shaking in part?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Cowl shake is a trait of the car. I don't think the car was ever engineered as a convertible. As far as model year differences go, there are no structural differences in any of the spyders. However, I believe in '03 and later cars the A pillars were filled with a vibration-absorbing foam. Even the coupes have questionable rigidity. My rear-view mirror vibrates as well (I own a coupe). Panel rattle is a tremendous issue. I think it has a lot to do with how stiff the suspension damping is. On top of that, the car is constructed in a rather an "old fashioned" way, which has ups and downs. The ups are the sensations that you feel from the seat of your pants, as if you're bolted onto the drive train. That makes the car fun to drive. I suspect that's why we put up with the other stuff. I came from M3's, including the latest model, which I think are boring to drive compared with the Maserati (despite its tremendous rigidity and solid-as-a-vault composure).

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Before you blame the vehicle design, start with the easy stuff first:

1) How many miles on your tires? Have you checked the pressure recently?
2) When was the last time they were balanced? Any curb dings since then?
3) If you're lucky enough to find an on-car balancing system, try that...I've always felt that lot of vehicles with pie plate sized rotors should have "everything that spins" balanced, not just the wheel/tire. There's one small garage around I know of that still has a belt system that will get up to about 70 MPH...

- Rick

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for your insight...

I'm starting to understand the vehicle dynamics. I will probably look at the fundimentals in the balancing, but for now, I'll enjoy the uniqueness of the car and drive.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Also always keep in mind that treadwear (normal, flatspots, edge or center) on a low profile tire has a greater proportional impact that on "old school" tires. Even as early as 3-5000 miles, you can attest some vibration to this.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Also always keep in mind that treadwear (normal, flatspots, edge or center) on a low profile tire has a greater proportional impact that on "old school" tires. Even as early as 3-5000 miles, you can attest some vibration to this.

couldn't agree more... I even notice more shake when the tires are cold (with flatspots from sitting)

·
Registered
695 Posts
I can almost ignore the cowl movement, but the steering column shake is becoming the annoyance factor for me. It's like having sex with a supermodel who is prone to epileptic seizures. On one hand, you can't believe your good fortune to be nailing something so gorgeous, but on the other, you're tired of being punched in the face.

The AMV8 Roadster is so tempting...I'm almost afraid to test drive one.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The AMV8 Roadster is so tempting...I'm almost afraid to test drive one.
My boss has one coming in this summer, it's on the manufacturing floor already. A co-worker has a 997S cab. I'm reluctant to drive either for fear of finding that my car has no clothes!

Still, the Maser is only car I own that I actually think about driving.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts