Maserati Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen there's several threads on the subject of exhaust upgrades and also links to some audio files, but I'm still finding this a bit of a conundrum. :confused:
My coupe has Tubi back boxes and I like the sound, would happily take a little more volume when driving but preferably not in the cabin, and would also welcome a little more high frequency to complement the deeper Tubi sound - BTW, I'm keeping the Tubis. :)
But I do not want a race car volume. Clearly several of us have gone down the Larini road or installed the x-pipe - I'm a little concerned about the volume increase with this????...The power gain is attractive though.
So what about swapping out the 2nd set of Cats in front of the center resonator for a free-er flowing pair? Larini and Kreis-sieg, amongst others offer these.
But here's a question: where is the real constriction in the Coupe exhaust - is it the system as a whole, the CR or the cats, or what? Because that'll dictate what changing the Cats will do (while leaving the CR in place)...in terms of volume (external & cabin?), character of sound (high or low?) & power versus doing the more common CR removal. I know the GS removed the CR & gained 10hp but I'm still intrigued what the high performance Cats will do.

BTW - I'm also waiting in anticipation for news of the proposed new Larini x-pipe, alleged to be on offer soon that has some baffles & little muffling effect; it should offer power and sound improvement but not quite as much as going to a full x-pipe...Might strike the perfect balance??
Dave.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Dave, keep the tubis and replace your resonator with an X pipe.
Since I did this mod I hardly ever play the stereo anymore or even roll up the windows... I rather hear my 400+ horses roar.
...vroooom ...vrooooooommmm!!! ...sweeeeettttt!!!!!

Even the guys driving F-430's ask what I've done to my car

·
Registered
744 Posts
Sent you a PM

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have no cats and x pipe and quicksilver sport rear boxes its raspy and sinister sounding but also quite loud if you dont want to change the volume too much leave in the cats

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Effect of swapping cats?...

I have heard that swapping the OEM cats for high performance / race cats loses the Italian sound and begins to take on more of a Detroit tone - any truth to this ? I hope not; I'm thinking keep the center resonator with the Tubis and swap the cats. But perhaps that will have a knock-on effect of increasing cabin noise with the resonator still in place (in comparison to the OEM cat + x-pipe combo)?

Also interested in the effect of the "pinched" section on the OEM Cat pipes where the pipes change cross-sectional shape, if not area - anyone know?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I cannot give hp numbers because i did not dyno my car but with the fabspeed cat pipes which remove the kink under the steering system, and the xpipe, the care revs a lot more freely

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks.

I'm leaning toward a performance cat to replace the OEM cats as my ideal exhaust setup (not using straight pipes or de-packing the cats). Jeff let me know there is a Larini cat for one option and I'm currently awaiting some feedback on whether a Kreis-sieg cat section is available with bypass valves (as opposed to their complete exhaust system).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.