Maserati Forum banner

04 trade in value

5K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  squid 
#1 ·
Hi..

I'm thinking of trading in my 2004 Coupe Cambiocorsa for this car:

http://www.ferrariofseattle.com/inventory/details.aspx?ID=80

My question: what kind of trade in value can I expect?

2004 Coupe Cambiocorsa
Sebring Blue over Gray with Blue dash, etc. and piping/stitching
21000 miles
all recent service done at FM of Seattle
paint is mostly in good shape (a couple small chips)
xenon headlights
skyhook
Upgraded audio and Nav

Any input would be great!

Thanks,
Garrett

#3 ·
Yeah, I was recently quoted an approximate value of high 30k's-to-low 40k's for my 2003 CC w/11,000 miles. You can get a bit more selling private party.

BTW, do you mind me asking, how much you agreed to pay for the 2006 GS LE?

#4 ·
I think it is terrible that we devalue our cars so much. The dealers are taking advantage of us who own the cars by offering less than they are worth and the factory should try and preserve as much value for current owners. The fact that a $100,000 car is sold for $30,000 a few years later and at low mileage reminds me of the Hyundai story. Hyundai is a car company producing a vehicle that cannot stand the test of time and is only prompted up by their 100,000 mile warrantee. At least their factory understands that if they want to sell a car that is upside down in value during it lease term that they need to appear to stand by the product. The only way that Maserati sales really work is through a corporate lease arrangment with a high monthly payment, or for someone endowed with an extra ordinary income and net worth. I think we should all hold out and give our cars the value they deserve. We need to stand by our car values. The Maserati is a great car and well worth minimum and slow depreciation, such as found with Toyotas, Mercedes, BMW's.

#5 ·
Uh, I don't think I agree with any of this statement except perhaps that dealers are "taking advantage of us". However, there isn't a dealer out there in my experience who doesn't take advantage of its customers whenever possible. They are in what I call "business"... to make "money".

1) We don't devalue our cars, the market does. I bought my Coupe "pre-owned" and it had already suffered 40% depreciation in 5,000 miles. So I can't complain that it has suffered another 20% over the past 6,000 additional miles. Certain cars just have bad depreciation over their lifespans; have you checked what it is like on a CL500/55/600?

2) Hyundai is an incredible success story given how its turned its reputation around. Toyota has repeatedly stated its biggest concern is that company and none other. Hyundai's build quality has increased every year and I think they are rightly proud of their 10 year warranty.

3) The only way Maserati sales "work" is the same way any high-end car sales work. People who are either "endowed" with money, or as most of us here had to actually do, "earn" their money, decide they would like an expensive car, and they buy or lease it.

4) Standing by your car's value is great... if you don't really want to sell it. A dealer is certainly not going to pay for your car when he can get it at auction at Mannheim for $20,000 less.

#6 ·
+1 F. Yu

Its simple supply and demand. There is little demand for a pre-owned Maser. Its that simple. They linger on sales floors. It sucks that they depreciate that much, but I knew that going in. Upside is if yu are a buyer, its the best value out there.

-dsd

#7 ·
I agree it's simple supply and demand... and it does suck that our older cars aren't in that much demand.

I was offered $45K on my car. We haven't finalized a price on the 06 GS LE yet.... it's a consignment car, so I guess the phone calls between the dealer and the owner can take time.

So, I'm going to take price negotiation time to try and sell my car myself and see what happens. I'd like to get $55K out of it. (The dealer told me they'd market the car at $59995 and expect to get a little less. So, I figure $55K is reasonable as a private party sale.)

Anyone interested?

-- Garrett

#8 ·
I agree it's simple supply and demand... and it does suck that our older cars aren't in that much demand.

I was offered $45K on my car. We haven't finalized a price on the 06 GS LE yet.... it's a consignment car, so I guess the phone calls between the dealer and the owner can take time.

So, I'm going to take price negotiation time to try and sell my car myself and see what happens. I'd like to get $55K out of it. (The dealer told me they'd market the car at $59995 and expect to get a little less. So, I figure $55K is reasonable as a private party sale.)

-- Garrett
$45k is not a bad offer. I think $55k is stretching, but you might be able to get closer to $47-50k depending on your local market/eBay luck. Let us know how it goes!

#9 ·
The resale on these cars suck. The fact is it IS FMNA's fault, as they shipped too many stateside and thus killed the market. When dealers are giving huge discounts to move their inventory, it hurts resale as it dents into the used car market. Why pay 60k for a used one when you can get a brand new one for 75k (20k off) with warranty?

It's an odd mistake, as they limit Ferrari inventory so much as to make the cars largely unavailable. I guess they don't have any experience in cars that they have to sell, rather than cars that develop waitlists before the development sketches are even released.

I'm trying to sell mine and have gotten exactly zero bites, although about 10 calls from marketing companies trying to help me sell my car (one is talking on my answering machine right now even as I type this). Argh!

#11 ·
The resale on these cars suck. The fact is it IS FMNA's fault, as they shipped too many stateside and thus killed the market. When dealers are giving huge discounts to move their inventory, it hurts resale as it dents into the used car market. Why pay 60k for a used one when you can get a brand new one for 75k (20k off) with warranty?
Shipped too many stateside? Like several hundred? Perhaps it would have been better if they limited their sales to 250 cars a year and charge $170k? Or perhaps like Ferrari have sales so limited that even to get on the waitlist you need to buy a few used Maserati's at outrageous markups?

I also find it surprising you have found a new Coupe at 20k off in WLA, here in Orange County, the dealerships are not willing to budge more than 5-10k from MSRP unless there is a kickback going on from MNA.

#10 ·
I think the issue is more Demand related than Supply related.

FMNA does ZERO advertising for the brand. While that may work for Ferrari, it will not work for ANYONE else.
The other issue that I see is that you have to go to a Ferrari dealer to get it serviced. While the reality of the service costs may not bee too bad, the perception of getting "Serviced" at a Ferrari dealer is scaring off the masses.

The masses are buying new Japanese cars, or Porsche Caymans, (with new car warrentys) and not getting a lightly used Italian sports car.

The main thing that will improve brand recognition, and resale value is to constantly get the Maserati Name out in front of the car buying public.
This costs money, and they have to invest in the brand awarness through more than SpiderMan tie ins with Burger King.

#12 ·
My search

I have been looking for a nice lo mile 2005 (under 10k) cc coupe. I have seen the 04's at retail prices of 47-52k range. Ijust passed on a real nice 05 with 4k on it for 58k. I think by Christmas you will be able to buy nice 05 coupes for under 50.

#13 ·
I guess why I am so excited to buy a maserati. I can trade in my roughed up M3 almost straight up for a Maserati.

I am comparing the Maserati to an M6 and the M6 used will be 85-90k while the mas will be about 40k (just around what I could get for my m3..not quite 40k for an m3 but just add 5k-8k and I will be there

I am surpised more peeps do not buy used Maseratis as they are the same price as a benz or vette etc

#14 ·
I'm surprised too that more people don't choose a used Maserati. Perhaps they just feel that it is too expensive to fix when something goes wrong or can't come to terms with believing that they might be able to afford an exotic vehicle. The comment before concerning the factory advertising is right on. I read Car and Driver Magazine and the latest issue compares every excellent car with the BMW 6 series, Audi, Porche, Mercedes AMG, but never a Maserati. I don't think the coupe is listed any longer in their car comparison column. There is no way that the masses are going to consider purchasing a Maserati if the car magazines don't mention the car in a comparison to other models. There is no frame of reference established for the reader - is the Maserati like a Porche or a Auston Martin? Someone should get the media to hype the car again and then there is hope that it will not depreciate so much if it is considered in the future as a "classic" shape or drive to own.

#16 ·
maserati is as mystical as 'auston martin' to many people...
or even 'porche' to some...

i don't think any owners here devalue their maeratis.
it seems like they enjoy it everyday.

seriously, do you want the masses to be driving a maserati????

#18 ·
For a while I do remember seeing the Maserati Sedan ads in the Wallstreet Journal quite a bit. I do not really remember seeing ads for the GS etc or coupes

In the media you do see a Maserati every once and a while. Chris in Sopranos etc

50 cent always has rap lyrics about his Maserati.

#19 ·
I guess my biggest concern is just that the car magazines don't suggest for the most part the Maserati as an alternative or in comparson at the end of their car reviews. Advertising aside, you can believe that this one fact that should not matter, but I think it does. I think it is good for the car companies to see what the magazines suggest as alternatives. Jaguar, Porche, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Cadillac are mentioned all the time. The last Car and Driver magazine "July 07" is a perfect example of how and why Maserati is off the radar screen; it was not one of the 20 cars worth waiting for and was not compared in the Everday Supercars article (Aston Marton V-8 Vantage, Audi R8 and Porche 911 Turbo). Perhaps the factory believe that the coupe or grandsport will always come in last, which is why the company doesn't lend the magazines a car to test, assuming they have any influence anyway. It is a shame because I thnk the coupe or grandsport would have done very well and might have even won first place in the article considering price, performance and style. Good magazine issue to buy.

#24 ·
i think first and foremost maserati should pay these magazine to print GRANSPORT in bold so that some enthusiasts will learn the name of their cars.

the coupe and gransport is not a current model. it is even off maserati's website. why would it appear in '20 cars worth waiting for'?

#21 ·
ummm...

Yesterday, driving a friend around, we saw:

1 porsche carrerra GT
2 Ferrari f430 spyders
3 Ferrari 360 spyders
1 Ferrari 360 coupe
5 Aston Martin Vantages
1 Aston Martin Vanquish
2 Aston Martin DB9s
1 Cadillac XLR

about a thousand Porsche Carreras

and....

ZERO Maseratis...

PErsonally, I love the fact that "nobody" has a maserati...

and dont think less of me, but i LOVE the fact that the majority of the people in the world think maseratis cost as much as ferraris and lamborghinis.... It makes me smile.

I DONT want people to have maseratis... i love the exclusivity.

#23 ·
...PErsonally, I love the fact that "nobody" has a maserati...

and dont think less of me, but i LOVE the fact that the majority of the people in the world think maseratis cost as much as ferraris and lamborghinis.... It makes me smile.

I DONT want people to have maseratis... i love the exclusivity.
i totally agree with you. ;)
may be not as costly as a ferrari or lamborghini, but at least, as tasteful.

#28 ·
I have an 02 Spyder F1 25k miles and a new clutch-very key. In the past week I got a trade in value of 25k from Park Ave Acura (on a 07 M Coupe) and 40k at Penske Chevy on new Z06. The manager at Park Ave Acura (NJ, by NYC) was retarded and didn't know how to drive the F1 so he thought clutch was bad and/or the tranny was shot- even though it has a brand new clutch and has been through New England Maserati and Algar with no discreps.
I owe 50k yet so I'm going to rethink my strategy before I carry or pay off 10k.
Goodluck with you trade!

#29 ·
I rarely see the coupe, many quattroportes around town though.

The car magazines dont do maserati any favors. A recent car and driver issue described the f1 transmission as miserable. Its funny because ive seen a video of Michael Schumacher driving the coupe and he said the system is almost as good as ferrari's. I guess these magazine journalists want all cars to shift like a lexus.

#32 · (Edited)
congrats.

04CC (21000 miles) +$42k -> 06 GS LE (2000 miles)

wow.

i can understand the GS is better in many ways, and you renewed your warranty, etc etc. is it $42k better over a 04CC? you voted yes.
but for that money, i get myself an elise and keep the CC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.