Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a used CC coupe, preferably 04. Anyhow, at the dealer today the car would not shift into reverse. Should I consider this a major issue that is indicative of other unseen problems in the vehicle? The vehicle had 22,000 miles on it. Otherwise, had only small interior problems and a ding or so.

Would appreciate any advice. oh, yeah...asking price was 65,000

·
Registered
681 Posts
Regardless of the transmission problems that price is ridiculous for that kind of mileage. For awesome service and price try Maserati of Minneapolis I had great luck dealing with Taryn over there.

·
Registered
824 Posts
IdefendU said:
I have been looking for a used CC coupe, preferably 04. Anyhow, at the dealer today the car would not shift into reverse. Should I consider this a major issue that is indicative of other unseen problems in the vehicle? The vehicle had 22,000 miles on it. Otherwise, had only small interior problems and a ding or so.

Did it display a little red rectangular warning light on the dash?
Sometimes they won't go into reverse and the car needs to roll forward a bit (like on a regular manual).

It may just need relearning of the shift positions (dealer can do this).

Yes, price is a bit high for an 04 with that mileage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

I did not see the red indicator....and we tried a number of times to get it into reverse, once after rolling it forward a small distance. The dealer has not followed up with me yet, so I suspect it is more than a minor problem.

As for the price, I too thought it a little high...where would one put a price on an 04 with 20,000 or less miles? I have tried to use ebay as a database, but not alot of those vehicles are actually selling, mostly because they fail to hit the reserve.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
IdefendU said:
I did not see the red indicator....and we tried a number of times to get it into reverse, once after rolling it forward a small distance. The dealer has not followed up with me yet, so I suspect it is more than a minor problem.

As for the price, I too thought it a little high...where would one put a price on an 04 with 20,000 or less miles? I have tried to use ebay as a database, but not alot of those vehicles are actually selling, mostly because they fail to hit the reserve.
I have been doing a lot of research for my January purchase. A 2004 Coupe CC with around 10k miles will run around $63000. Maserati of Minneapolis www.maseratiofminneapolis.com has a 2004 Coupe CC with 5300 miles on it for $63995. Don't know if they deal but if so, that would be iceing on the cake! Can't wait to fly out to Minneapolis in late January and drive one back to Texas (guess we'll see how it handles in the snow!) ;)

Buzz

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
minn maserati

I have also been watching Morries inventory and they seem to be more in line with what I belive are "fair" prices. Additionally, they get great reviews from everyone here. However, I was looking at coupe up their and ran a car fax...which they have available no charge. The car came back as a possible lemon law buyback.... On the positive side they were not hiding it as they made the info available through a free car fax. Goodluck with your purchse, I am in no rush as this will be a second car so I am going to wait for the right one.

·
Registered
681 Posts
IdefendU said:
I have also been watching Morries inventory and they seem to be more in line with what I belive are "fair" prices. Additionally, they get great reviews from everyone here. However, I was looking at coupe up their and ran a car fax...which they have available no charge. The car came back as a possible lemon law buyback.... On the positive side they were not hiding it as they made the info available through a free car fax. Goodluck with your purchse, I am in no rush as this will be a second car so I am going to wait for the right one.
To give you an idea of the price of lemon cars I was offered a 2005 with I believe 8k miles for $45k before negotiating.

·
Registered
909 Posts
We do stock a few 'lemon law' buyback cars, and there are a lot of factors that go into these cars and the decision whether to buy them or not.

The biggest factor is that lemon laws are not federal, and vary greatly state to state.

Minnesota has a pretty stringent lemon law policy, requiring something to be fixed three times without being solved. Several different problems with one car would not be covered. Time down for repairs, and 'found to be operating as specified' diagnosed problems are not covered.

California on the other hand has an extremely liberal repurchase policy. I have seen repurchased cars from CA that were literally just waiting for parts. I have seen cars that someone thought something was wrong, but the car was always found to be operating as specified. (Or maybe they just didn't like it. I've heard that if people complain enough, they can get a car repurchased.)

Once a car is repurchased Manufacturers make the necessary repairs, and a few add an additional warranty. At a minimum the cars are covered under the standard warranty. Included with most repurchased vehicles are copies of the original complaints and repairs.

I've seen a couple Porsche turbos from Cali that required engine replacement, which took longer than the down time, and Porsche bought the car back.

Some states lemon law cars get a branded title, others, like MN do not.

There are definitely some bad apple cars that just are lemon law cars and never really work right, but most of them are fine. You save a bunch of money when you buy the car, and provided you trade the car back in somewhere that they aren't shy about them, you're OK on trade in value too. (trade-in will be less, but you paid less in the first place)

If you're looking at a lemon law car, check into what state it came from and what their laws are. Next step is to find out why the car was repurchased. 9 times out of 10 its something that will never effect you.

I personally would have no problem owning a repurchased car.

- Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
IdefendU said:

I just left my 2004 Spyder with under 9000 miles on the odometer - with the dealer. My car is a lemon and has been in the shop many, many times and was not fixed. Therefore under the NY lemon law I am due for a new car. The car you want that did not shift into reverse - well, I would be a bit leery about the car. What is its history? Be careful.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Just a quick lemon note, in some states the title is only branded if the state AG has to force the manufacturer to comply.

If the manufacturer agrees to buy back the car (as happened with my Saab in WA) before papers are filed, then they take the car, you get a new car, and the new owner (presumably in another state or the same state) is none the wiser.

I am assuming a lot of Maseratis get lemoned because they can be complicated to repair, and make it more likely they'll hit the lemon repair attempt thresholds. Quite possible they've already been fixed, just took too long to get there.

·
Registered
824 Posts
MargueriteW said:
I just left my 2004 Spyder with under 9000 miles on the odometer - with the dealer. My car is a lemon and has been in the shop many, many times and was not fixed. Therefore under the NY lemon law I am due for a new car. The car you want that did not shift into reverse - well, I would be a bit leery about the car. What is its history? Be careful.
What was your car's issue? (and welcome to the forums!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts