Love the car, but . . . and my learning experience
Thanks to all for the assistance to date (couple of posts) related to narrowing down what to buy, options and prices.
I test drove my 4th Coupe today - 1 GT and 3 CC's. The GT and 1 CC where '02's for $35,000 both with around 30k miles. Both showed wear - more wear than normal for a 30k mile car - let alone a Maserati that you would have expected to have been taken better car of . . . my '99 911 is in significantly better shape than these '02's from dealers - yes, they are on-online for the high $30's - if your looking at them and want some detail, pm me.
Both '04's were in vastly better condition, both priced at approx. $47,000, 1 with 20k miles and one with 30.7k miles. The lower mileage car is great and would sell for less than the higher mileage car that I drove today -- will get to this). However, although the blue exterior has grown on me, the interior is blue/gray and although in good condition, just doesn't excite me. So, I pass.
Now, the one that I started this post on and my test drive today.
1. I drove this car (a CC) much more than the others and really started to understand how to drive this car and understand the drivetrain. I think its an acquired taste, one that I think I can fully learn to love - and fully understand why others won't ever like - it's a matter of expectation, i.e, this is not an automatic, it's a manual with a computer controlled, hydraulic operated clutch and gear selector - plain and simple - a very different animal from both an automatic and a manual. I love manual's and fully appreciate automatics and NOW look forward to learning how to properly drive an F1.
2. The car checked out VERY nicely. A few minor light surface scratches, a few small rock chips up front, very very light wear on the front drivers seat, clean rims, etc.
3. Car handled well, drove well, sounded great.
4. The issues: (1) In the first 5 minutes of our drive (I believe in an uphill climb at 25-35 MPH), the traction/stability control system "locked up" . We didn't know what happened but the car started to brake itself as if the ABS and Traction was kicking in. The MSP light on the dash was blinking. After the second time, we turned her off, restarted and that was that. ANY IDEAS ?
(2) All said, (I'm ready ?) (was ready ?) to buy this car, then after we returned to the dealer and parked it outside, in the sun, I noticed that the passenger side door color was slightly off !! I asked the dealer what he thought and he agreed. I believe it was a surprise to him as well. But after looking, neither of us could really find any evidence that the door had been painted, but it was now evident that it had been - once you noticed the difference, your eye's could spot it easily. We then checked the paint levels and found that it was in deed higher than other areas. He doesn't think there is any bondy and we are "speculating" that it was a repaint from something like a keying issue.
Anyway, we talked and they came down another $500 to $46 (from $46,900) - not much - and agreed to have it repainted to be perfect.
I obviously needed to think about this, so here I am. But for these 2 issues (primarily the paint), I would have bought it today. The MSP doesn't concern me too much since the warranty goes through April 30, 2008.