Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brake and running lights seem to be flashing on and off according to some pattern. It's really odd, the license plate light will go off and then the brake lilght comes on, then the brake light goes out and the running light up front passenger side comes on, then it repeats over and over... It's like a Christmas Tree!!! Any idea's? My mechanic is clueless and told me to search around the discussion boards and forums befor he starts charging me exploratory surgery fee's... He's already replaced the bulbs.

Any and all idea's appreciated...

On a side note, I had my 2 post cats and the suitcase muffler removed today. What a difference in sound. only cost me $200 USD too.. ;-)

Not sure why anyone would pay so much for the Larini DeCats, and X-Pipe. It appears to me that just replacing the parts with straight pipe is all the larini system does as well. Let me know if my logic is sound...

Neal

·
Registered
130 Posts
My brake and running lights seem to be flashing on and off according to some pattern. It's really odd, the license plate light will go off and then the brake lilght comes on, then the brake light goes out and the running light up front passenger side comes on, then it repeats over and over... It's like a Christmas Tree!!! Any idea's? My mechanic is clueless and told me to search around the discussion boards and forums befor he starts charging me exploratory surgery fee's... He's already replaced the bulbs.

Any and all idea's appreciated...
If your mechanic charged you for replacing the bulbs based on the problem you're having, you should consider finding a different one. Obviously, the bulbs and the fuses are OK, since the lights do come on at times. Sounds to me like a wiring problem. Has the electrical system been worked on recently? Has the car been exposed to excessive water? Are you aware of any other electrical gremlins? Is the system charging and keeping a charge normally?

By the way, you can save yourself some time when you post if you leave out apostrophes where they don't belong, like in plural nouns ("fees" or "ideas").

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lionel,

Thanks for the reply. No I haven't had any electrical gremlins in the past nor has the vehicle been exposed to excessive moisture. This just started. My mechanic is being upfront and honest by helping me save some money by researching the issue myself so he doesn't have to waste a lot of time performing unnecessary troubleshooting.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Neal,

I had a similar issue with my 04 CC Coupe and it turned out to be the IGE Control unit. I ordered one from Eurospares. Cost half as much as stealership wanted though I did have them install it.

D

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have a similar issue... I'll turn my car on sometimes and the "defective lamp" dummy light will stay on. Sometimes it'll be the whole passenger side tail light assembly and sometimes it's the driver's side parking lamp. Sometimes if I put the car in reverse, the tail lights will start working again. If it's the parking lamp, it'll kick on after about a minute. If that doesn't work, I shut down the car and when I restart it, most of the time all the lights are fine and no dummy light.

I found it happens only when I start the car with the headlights on. As long as they are off when I initially start the car, there is never a problem.

Does this sound like an IGE Control Unit issue? How much approx. would this repair run at the dealer? I'm not too concerned for right now, but I'm sure it'll only get worse if I neglect it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts