Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...

Anyone know where to look for MY specifics for the 4200? I owned an 06 Gransport Coupe a few years back, and ready to jump in again. Looking at 02 - 04 Spyders, with either CC or 6MT.

Best I can tell the 4200 remained unchanged, but I've been unable to find any reliable sources. I've seen some mention of the 02 having a different stab control system. Anything else?

If anyone has insight or recommendations for purchasing 4200 Spyders I'd greatly appreciate your feedback. This forum was immensely helpful when I bought by GS.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Well when i was first looking at these cars way back i test drove an 02 spyder. It seemed to have some cowl shake. From what ive read maserati corrected this in 03 thru 06. Maybe some spyder owners will shed more light on this.

·
Registered
140 Posts
When you say cowl shake I assume your referring to the body flexing? If so, yes there's a noticeable amount of flex and it's especially evident when looking at the A pillars. It's also transmitted through the steering column. It's both a good and a bad thing. For one, a car of this caliber should have a much more rigid structure IMO. The benefit is better feedback to the driver, you can really feel what the car is doing under you especially in regards to front end traction.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
When you say cowl shake I assume your referring to the body flexing? If so, yes there's a noticeable amount of flex and it's especially evident when looking at the A pillars. It's also transmitted through the steering column. It's both a good and a bad thing. For one, a car of this caliber should have a much more rigid structure IMO. The benefit is better feedback to the driver, you can really feel what the car is doing under you especially in regards to front end traction.
Yes im referring to body flexing. I noticed it mostly in the front end. Your description of it is spot on. They are still nice cars tho. I wouldnt let it stop me from buying one at a good deal.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have an 02 Spyder that I use as a daily driver on some poor roads at times and cowl shake is not an issue. No vibration in the steering. No noticeable A pillar shake or rear view mirror image blurring. If I put my hand at the top of the A pillar I can feel vibration but we're talking thousandths of an inch. If you're considering an 02 then drive it and see.

One change is that mine has traction control, ASR, and not MSP (yaw control) which I think is on later cars.

Mine is a 6MT. To me, the biggest problem with the CC's is who will have the technology to set the system in the future. You may end up with an unrepairable car.

If you have the right attitude it's the sports car buy of a lifetime.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an 02 Spyder that I use as a daily driver on some poor roads at times and cowl shake is not an issue. No vibration in the steering. No noticeable A pillar shake or rear view mirror image blurring. If I put my hand at the top of the A pillar I can feel vibration but we're talking thousandths of an inch. If you're considering an 02 then drive it and see.

One change is that mine has traction control, ASR, and not MSP (yaw control) which I think is on later cars.

Mine is a 6MT. To me, the biggest problem with the CC's is who will have the technology to set the system in the future. You may end up with an unrepairable car.

If you have the right attitude it's the sports car buy of a lifetime.
Thanks for the replies! Tony H., do you have any clutch or clutch pedal concerns with your 6MT? I'm sure it's nothing like the CC issues (which my previous GS was).

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanks for the replies! Tony H., do you have any clutch or clutch pedal concerns with your 6MT? I'm sure it's nothing like the CC issues (which my previous GS was).
It's a clutch so if you abuse it you'll have to replace an expensive clutch that is identical to the CC. More shops can do it because you don't need the electronic setting equipment. Also, there are adjustable links in the shift mechanism that cause shifting problems if they're not properly set. It's pretty simple and easy to do. Lastly, it's a high hp transmission and a cable linkage so it's not 2 finger shifting.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
The most important thing you can do for your clutch is to bleed it as recommended. If not, you will have issues. If you keep that fluid fresh your ahead of the game. I bled my clutch once a year which is sooner than recommended

·
Registered
314 Posts
The only negative I see for the 02 is the plastic rear window, but who wants to put the top up and lose much of the great exhaust sound?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yes im referring to body flexing. I noticed it mostly in the front end. Your description of it is spot on. They are still nice cars tho. I wouldnt let it stop me from buying one at a good deal.
I think the problem with the cowl shake is actually that the body is plenty stiff for a convertible but the dash is not mounted solid enough for it. I also drive my Mustang Cobra convertible and the body is flexing like in a typical convertible but the cowl does not shake. In fact I have never had cowl shake in a convertible and I've had many but they weren't near as rigid as the Spyder. Mine is a 2005 so the cowl shake is much less supposedly than in the older ones and it doesn't bother me much. My steering column adjustment lock was loose so the steering wheel shook as well. After I tightened the lock that went away.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Ive driven a few 04 05 06 models and they were tighter cars. Im not 100% sure but i think it was reported that there was a way to reinforce under the hood. There may be some threads on it. As i mentioned before this wouldnt stop me from buying an 02. Their still great cars

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
a local spyder owner whose forum name is intrepid has a blue spyder for sale in saratoga NY

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ive driven a few 04 05 06 models and they were tighter cars. Im not 100% sure but i think it was reported that there was a way to reinforce under the hood. There may be some threads on it. As i mentioned before this wouldn't stop me from buying an 02. Their still great cars
My Spyder is an '03; there is slight cowl shake on rough pavement but the shake of the '02 has been reduced significantly. Another improvement, my '03 has a glass rear window with heater, not on the '02s. There are so many Spyders available I would avoid the '02's.

My Spyder is cambiocorsa and I also have an F1 Ferrari 575M. Initially thought I wanted a gated manual 3 pedal. Having driven both for several years I can tell you the F1 makes you a better driver. Why? Because when driving rapidly whether on a circuit or on the twisty roads we love so well, the key is locating the apex of each turn as you approach and hitting it as precisely as possible. With a manual here's what happens: brake, steer, declutch, off brake, downshift/off clutch, throttle, steer. Some part of your mind is paying attention to all of that stuff and by definition has to be distracted to some extent from apex-hunting.

Cambiocorsa and F1: brake and tap left paddle, F1 and engine management downshifts and automatically revs engine to match each downshift exactly. All you do is brake, locate and hit the apex, tap paddle, steer and accelerate. It really is quite extraordinary. It is the very good reason F1 race cars went to paddle shift.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
My Spyder is an '03; there is slight cowl shake on rough pavement but the shake of the '02 has been reduced significantly. Another improvement, my '03 has a glass rear window with heater, not on the '02s. There are so many Spyders available I would avoid the '02's.

My Spyder is cambiocorsa and I also have an F1 Ferrari 575M. Initially thought I wanted a gated manual 3 pedal. Having driven both for several years I can tell you the F1 makes you a better driver. Why? Because when driving rapidly whether on a circuit or on the twisty roads we love so well, the key is locating the apex of each turn as you approach and hitting it as precisely as possible. With a manual here's what happens: brake, steer, declutch, off brake, downshift/off clutch, throttle, steer. Some part of your mind is paying attention to all of that stuff and by definition has to be distracted to some extent from apex-hunting.

Cambiocorsa and F1: brake and tap left paddle, F1 and engine management downshifts and automatically revs engine to match each downshift exactly. All you do is brake, locate and hit the apex, tap paddle, steer and accelerate. It really is quite extraordinary. It is the very good reason F1 race cars went to paddle shift.
well i agree with you for sure. The f1 is really a pleasure to drive. alot of fun to just flip the paddle going thru some twistys roads. but so is the stick shift car. It just all depends on what you want.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I like the 2002 and 2003 better than the 2004 because of the wheels and some later cars having what I consider to be ugly vents and a V8 logo in front of the doors. The original design was so pretty any changes ruin the original designs look. The US 2002's are second year of production as they started selling in Europe in 2001 but as 2002's. I have noticed the trim and some parts on the 2002's are the nicest. For example the 2002's had machined aluminum gas caps. Later years I have seen got plastic caps on a lot of cars. The rear window shape is better on 2002 Spyders but they are plastic so not as good. The 2002 is the most original, like Ital Design envisioned. I do think the 2002's sit higher and have softer springs wich could be part of the dashboard shake issue. Get FD springs and sway bars on either year and It will help with all the suspension problems and might help get rid of dashboard shake. Mine does not have dashboard shake very much but it did float over bumps with the original springs. By the way, I researched everything and based on the above reasons and the issues with the CC bought a really low mile almost new 2002 4200 GT 6 speed manual Spyder.

The only things that have been replaced are the clutch pump, exhaust and suspension parts. I might add, my GT 6 speed is adjusted correctly and can do very fast shifts. This is a good manual gearbox if set up right. I have driven the CC and it is also very fun but I prefer to shift the old fashioned way.

·
Super Moderator
3,772 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all! As expected, great information and insight! Looking seriously at either an 02 or 04 spyder and this helps immensely.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I like the 2002 and 2003 better than the 2004 because of the wheels and some later cars having what I consider to be ugly vents and a V8 logo in front of the doors. The original design was so pretty any changes ruin the original designs look. The US 2002's are second year of production as they started selling in Europe in 2001 but as 2002's. I have noticed the trim and some parts on the 2002's are the nicest. For example the 2002's had machined aluminum gas caps. Later years I have seen got plastic caps on a lot of cars. The rear window shape is better on 2002 Spyders but they are plastic so not as good. The 2002 is the most original, like Ital Design envisioned. I do think the 2002's sit higher and have softer springs wich could be part of the dashboard shake issue. Get FD springs and sway bars on either year and It will help with all the suspension problems and might help get rid of dashboard shake. Mine does not have dashboard shake very much but it did float over bumps with the original springs. By the way, I researched everything and based on the above reasons and the issues with the CC bought a really low mile almost new 2002 4200 GT 6 speed manual Spyder.

The only things that have been replaced are the clutch pump, exhaust and suspension parts. I might add, my GT 6 speed is adjusted correctly and can do very fast shifts. This is a good manual gearbox if set up right. I have driven the CC and it is also very fun but I prefer to shift the old fashioned way.
What, a machined aluminum gas cap? Would I be able to get one of those for my 02 Coupe?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
About this Discussion
51 Replies
14 Participants
F1Tommy
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing