Maserati Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here,

2002 spyder manual shift 4.2

We just got the car a week or so ago and has been driven some and havent had a lick of trouble...

Then a few days back I noticed the little piece that goes under the gas cap was gone.

Now I am having intermittent idle issues. drives fine but at stop lights the rpms vary up to 1200 to 1500 then drops low (sometimes dies) ...and sometimes it settles right to 1000 and is fine. My brother put some octane boost in it this last fill up and he says I lost the thingy under the cap...

I was just wondering in anyone could chime in and let me know if this makes any sense.

Talked with dealer and going to have him fedex me the thingy under gas cap...just in case this is the problem...know its there for a reason...but new to Maserati.

Any help of advice appreciated,

Barry

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
What thingy? The square handle used to hang the cap while you're fueling? That shouldn't affect the engine's performance.

If it's something related to sealing the cap then you can have a problem because it seems like the system creates a vaccum in the gas tank and if there's a leak it's not going to be possible, thus giving you the rough idle.

But some of the experts will chime in pretty soon and explain it better, don't worry!:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
should I panic yet?

Didnt have a idle problem at all today...but check engine light came on and is staying on at present.

Still drives just fine. Cant tell anything is wrong. All gauges look fine. All fluid levels are fine.

Could thiis be just the seal of the gas cap????

Help,

Spent to much to ruin this thing!!!

Barry

·
Registered
284 Posts
Why don't you start with a code scanner. See what code it is throwing, and then post it here.

Eric

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
When the cap doesn't seal right you get the check engine light. Do a search and you'll that find some people had the same problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gas assembly

New cap coming fed-x tomorrow. I am trying to incluce a parts scan
of the gas assembly if I can. Its item 8 (usa) and you can see it
has 2 parts to it.

I did the search...apparently not very well though.

Will I have to go to dealer to get the light reset?

This site is very helpful and informative...by the way.

Barry

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
final post for now

Well...got the new gas cap today.

Picked up a OBDII scanner as so nicely suggested by a gentleman earlier in the post. And all is well.

Had a code p0455 Evap. Emissions system leak detected. (gross leak/no flow).

So I reset the code...knowing the gas cap wasnt sealing well.

No more DTC detected by the scanner...so I am good to go!

Thanks,

Barry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.