Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

New to both the forum and the Maserati world :)

I got my first Maserati two weeks ago. Been a very loyal BMW driver but finally decided to test something else. It's a 2002 Coupe CC and it's done about 30k miles.

It really seems to be a great car but I have run into some issues with it.

After picking it up freshly served from the Maserati dealer, I drove about 1500 miles and the engine warning light came on. Took it to the repair shop and they told me it had something to do with the "secondary air system" according to their readings on the computer. However, they couldn't find any problem when they searched so the reset the computer and told me to take it for a drive and come back if the warning came back. And it did, after just a short drive. Took it back again and same problem, nothing could be found and once again I took it for a drive.

Now, after driving for just a short while I notice that the air condition is set to only circulate air internally (the button with the turned arrow). I never use that option so I wonder why it turned itself on and I switch it off. As I do that, smoke starts to come in from the main air panel in the coupe. And this is smoke that smells like something's burning, not the kind you sometimes see from air conditioners. So I immediately turn of the AC, pull down my windows (I like breathing while driving) and drive to the nearest stop. Call my dealer and they tell me to have the car transported to the repair shop. So I call assistance and send it away. Now I'm waiting to hear the results.

There where no warning lights on the panel when the smoke started to come.

Anyone heard of anything like this before? Maserati did (I think) a thorough check of the car before it was delivered to me.

Sure hope this isn't the way Maserati's usually behave (meaning spending a lot of time in the repair shop) since I really love the car in all other aspects.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hi Autobahn, and welcome to the Forum.

Very sorry to hear your AC problems, very likely some cabling got in short after you depressed the recirculation button; cannot say that was coupled with the engine warning light (as it came on before you operated the console command, and before and after your had it checked by your dealer) but it's anyone guess. It could also be something obstructing the secondary air duct, which burned one you forced-out the recirculation. Was the (yellow) led on the button on as well as the arrow on the console LED display? If a short-circuit somewhere, then wonder why the corresponding circuit fuse didn't blow-up... could be many things.

They will have to do some work on your car to see what has burned, and why. It is the first time I hear about this sort of problem.

Hope you can get it sorted, so you can fully enjoy your car.

Ed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Ed,

Thanks for your reply. I started to think that maybe the AC turned off the flow of external air because of the smoke that was generated somewhere. I don't know if the car has this sort of filter. I know my previous BMW had a filter that automatically stopped external air from getting in when the air outside was bad (such as during intense traffic). I know my Maserati does not have an equal sophisticated air filter (since I can now smell the traffic during traffic jams etc) but maybe it senced the smoke and blocked the airflow.

Forgot to check the info centre if it indicated the internal air circulation option to be on. But the yellow LED on the button was lighted.

I'm suspecting that there is a connection between this smoke and the engine warning for the secondary air system but I agree with you that a shortcut somewhere would also cause the smoke and smell of something burning.

The repair shop pretty much ruled out a shortcut related to the AC as they said there's not much there that could shortcut.. When I opened the hood after stopping I couldn't see anything smoking from the engine but that doesn't of course rule out that it once did come from there.

B rgds
Carl

·
Registered
191 Posts
Maserati's, in my experience, are kinda quirky. With regards to the recirc being on, mine is always on if the AC is on. I can turn if off, but if I adjust anything, it just comes back on. Smoke pouring from vents, of course, is unacceptable. :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hello Autobahn and welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear your problems. In my experience Maseratis (the newer ones 2002 and up) are pretty reliable (for Italian cars). It is interesting that the shop was unable to find out why the Check Engine Light came on. All they should have done is download the code and decipher it, I guess. The A/C problem is interesting. Keep us posted what the shop finds out.

Hope your experience gets better, because the cars themselves are a blast!

Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
773 Posts
welcome

looking forward to more better news from you, as this experience is really bad news. i have had my share of $$$ problems, and been hit hard, but i wanted a maserati! so i do not really bitch about expense. most high$$ cost were due to bad dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all,

Thanks for all your replies.

Just got the news from the repair shop. It seems that the coupe fan or the fan resistance in my car had burned up. So it was not related to the engine warning I saw earlier.

They said it was a quite uncommon problem and they had never seen it before. Anyway, reparing it is apparently not that very easy. I'll keep you updated :)

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this problem? I haven't used the AC in any extreme way haha.. Just regular usage.

I noticed another issue with the car. When I tried to park in a not very steep slope, the handbreak (parking break) couldn't keep the car still by itself, I hade to switch into gear to make it stand still. This seemed kind of odd so I asked the repair shop and they actually told me they've had 2 other 4200 spyders that had the exact same problem. Both were adjusted but only one of them got acceptable parking break force. Seems that in the worst case the break has to be replaced. Anyone had a weak parking break problem with their 4200? As the cambiocorsa automatically shifts into neutral if you stand still for a while in gear, this could mean real trouble if you leave the car running in a slope thinking the parking break will keep it there...

Pretty happy I still have a short warranty left.. :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Oh well, at least they uncovered where the smoke came from...

Parking brakes? In most exoticas (Maserati included) they SUCK. Period. Don't expect much from it. I had it adjusted around June this year (in fact, the handbrake actuator knob got stucked... they had to replace the entire assembly) and now seems to work fine.

Do as the owners manual says: when parking, leave it in 1st gear (or reverse) depending on the slope, and apply handbrake as a fallback.

Ed

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
As far as the check engine light is concerned, make sure that the gas cap is tight and that there have been no exhaust modifications (ie:TUBI). The light will usually reset by turning the battery power off and on, but it will usually come back on soon. It really needs to be reset by an OBD computer after it is running (if it is caused by an overheated catalyst). The catalyst problem caused by some exhaust systems is the most common cause of the check engine light I think.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Keep a brick in the glove compartment - next to the manual. Comes in very handy...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Troesma said:
Do as the owners manual says: when parking, leave it in 1st gear (or reverse) depending on the slope, and apply handbrake as a fallback.

Ed
I suggest only first gear is used as I have tried the other parked options (reverse or 2nd) and I can assure you they do NOT stop the car from moving on a slope!

·
Registered
773 Posts
hand brake

e-brake is a function of disc brake. that means a very small friction area. e-brake is for govt. really stupid to expect any benefit. safty means put the thing in gear! always!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts