Help Please ! Buying Quattroporte, need input please. - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-15-2008, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help Please ! Buying Quattroporte, need input please.

Hey everyone, i'm new here and i was wondering if you guys could give me a little friendly advice. i am trading in OR might try to sell my 06' MBenz CLS 55AMG w/Carlsson CK55 Kit on it and alot of other engine mods. the reason is,its just too small and im sick of Mercedes cause i had an E55 prior to my CLS and they are pretty much the same vehicle ,except for the look. i have been seriously looking at and recently test drove an 07' QUATTROPORTE Sport GT w/ DUO-SELECT. I liked the car a lot, THE WAY IT HANDLED, BRAKES ETC. It feels a little underpowered compared to the AMG, but the look of the car is amazing,its an exotic that you don't see everyday,it's bigger and i think the price is right. i wanted to know what you guys think of the DUOSELECT Tranny and if you guys like the car or are you dissapointed? My brother has an M5 w/ SMG and i like the car. Little rough in shifting, but the sound his makes with the KREISIEG Full Exhaust is AMAZING. I want to do an exhaust if i do this car and wanted to get some thoughts on this as well. Any information would be Greatly Appreciated and i Sincerely apologize for the post being so long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-15-2008, 07:43 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 909
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Personally - I love the DuoSelect. It definitely matches the Sport GT's character better than the automatic. The auto is a really good gearbox, and for the majority of people buying the QP, it is the right choice. However we have a number of customers that bought 05 DuoSelect QPs that traded into 07 DuoSelect cars over going to an Auto. If you buy the car with the right expectations - its a sports car - its a paddle shifted manual not an auto - it has more maintenance costs than an auto - you're likely to love it. I think a lot of the knocks about this gearbox have been from owners who were improperly educated \ informed, and from the press that never bothered to take the time to learn the gearbox. In the past I said it would be like a journalist who has never driven a manual writing a negative article about a car because the car stalled when he couldn't run the clutch. The sheer number of journalists that still don't understand these gearboxes in general, and their proper use is a bit astounding.

The maintenance costs are pretty predictable. Clutch - about every 12-20k miles, depending on how you drive. The harder you drive, the more you use sport mode, the less you parallel park, the more you avoid a lot of reverse, the longer it will last. When you do a clutch, do the F1 pump at the same time. Its just good preventative maintenance.

Beyond that you've got normal stuff. Our full maintenance schedule - oil changes, brake fluid flushes, spark plugs, etc.. runs about $1k per 10k miles. I think clutch service runs about $5k, once every 18 months or so depending on how much you drive, and tires probably as often..

I can only comment on what these items cost at my dealership, others may have better insight to their real world costs.

In the end its a great car - its not the fastest in a straightline, but no factory Merc looks or sounds as good, and no other big sedan handles like the QP. It's the best in the segment, and a viable competitor to think about even if you're looking more for a sports car if you need some real-world use of the car too.. (backseats, trunk...)

- Mark

Last edited by maserati of minneapolis; 01-15-2008 at 07:49 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-18-2008, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 2
Thank You For The Information

post #4 of 6 Old 01-18-2008, 09:37 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 695
A little review from Top Gear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zwm_7hhxbA

With the introduction of the QP Collezione Cento infotainment and mid MY 2008 GTs getting Bluetooth - looks like their isn't any reason NOT to choose a Maserati over the big MBs and BMWs.

Brian - 2005 Spyder CC
post #5 of 6 Old 01-19-2008, 12:07 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 793
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbles9 View Post
--- i wanted to know what you guys think of the DUOSELECT Tranny---
Stay away from the DuoSelect unless you have a spare clutch repair fund regardless of what the fanatics here say! It's a dying dog!

This transmission almost put Maserati out of business again.

A 2 year old QP with DuoSelect is selling for about $65K now. Is that good value? What's it say about the demand for that transmission?

Stick with the ZF auto transmission and you'll love the car long term.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-19-2008, 01:47 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 722
You do have to drive the Duoselect, even on rainy nights when you just want to get from A to B without drama. Sometimes an automatic is more suited to a set of driving tasks - think about yours and decide.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode