LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-08-2012, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thermostat Replacement

Hey All,

I am getting a Engine Control System Failure Message. I had it scanned and and it is coolant levels and themostat. Is replacing the thermostat myself realistic and where can I find one? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Master Mechanic

Maserati Life Posts: 1,521
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to JoshH
The thermostat isn't very difficult to replace. Check RicambiAmerica.com for the parts duagram to show you the location and parts needed. You can also buy from them. I recommend replacing both O-rings along with the t-stat.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-07-2012, 10:08 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 18
JG MInneapolis,Replacing the thermostat is easy.You will need to raise the vehical remove the belly shields.Also I have found if you remove the right front wheel this will also help with accessing the t-stat.Then you will need to remove the engine bay shroud for access.I would use OEM parts to ensure the correct part it comes installed in the housing.It's all one piece.You will then have to transfer the sensor that is in the housing to the new one since it does not come with it.Use care!Make sure to get the rubber O-Ring.You will need at least 2 gallons of coolant the rest water that should be sufficiant just make sure you have a 50-50 mixture for correct protection.If you have any questions feel free to call my name is Neil 847-924-3550. Good luck Of coarse you will need to clear the error after the repair.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-08-2012, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 13
Thank you very much, I appreciate the information.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-17-2019, 07:10 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 37
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There isn't a lot on the forum so here's my experience. I was getting a P0128 code - Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature). I ordered a new thermostat from Eurospares. Order a new O-ring (really looks like a round ring with rectangular section) and maybe a new air filter, since you are in there. My car is a 2008 Automatica. It doesn't have a sensor on the body of the thermostat.

There might be other ways but this worked for me: Start by taking off the big engine cover - a bunch of Torx screws and 4 Philips head screws. Next take off 1 bolt from the center of the air filter box, center top area. Unsnap 3 clips, disconnect the sensor plug, and you can pull the top section of the air box out. I left it connected by a small hose with a crimp hose clip, but the whole thing can move out of the way. Then remove the two side inlets - press tabs from the inside so you can get it started, by pressing one closest to the front, then the bottom one, and the oval-shaped intake part starts to push outward. Next pop the top one and the last one at the back will follow - push these ducts outward from center and you'll be able to remove the lower half of the box.

The thermostat has 3 Socket Head Cap Screws holding it - 5mm drive. They are kind of hard to get to without removing more stuff, but it can be done. Loosen the hose clamp with Philips or 6mm hex drive, and the 'stat can come out. Work it toward the front, under the main brace. Work the hose off by careful prying with a thin screwdriver. And some grip-and-pull.

The new one goes in easily. Tighten and put everything back. Lower half of the air box has two lower plastic pins that fit into holes. The side intakes plug back into the air box and snap in place, they are connected to flexible air guides. Pictures show the 3 screws. I used a flex socket to get to the one in back. This didn't require removing anything from below or access from the bottom, nor the side wheel wells. Toughest part is getting a good angle on the 5mm hex screws to crack them loose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermostat 3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	121879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermostat 2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	121881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermostat 1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	121883  

-2008 Quattroporte Executive GT
-Still driving a 1991 BRG Miata
post #6 of 9 Old 03-17-2019, 07:22 PM

A couple more things: I didn't drain the radiator. Lost about 1/2 cup of fluid into some towels.

205468 - Maserati Air Filter, $100 on Ebay
230890 - Cover with Thermostat 104.51 shipped, 45.01 shipping (I re-used the same seal ring) Eurospares.

The air intake came apart without having to knock off the crimped bands. And it plugged back on fine. Mine came apart at the front end of the aluminum intake, and the resonator section stayed with the air box.

post #7 of 9 Old 03-19-2019, 07:04 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 817
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
R&R the thermostat is a very simple job but I'm shocked about two things:

1. How did you not lose your coolant? The thermo is at the low part of the engine and I always lose all the coolant every time I replace one. No big deal as it's a good idea to change it out at that time anyway.

2. You re-used the thermo seal? Not a good idea. All the ones I've done are pretty chewed up from the heat. With the lower cover in place, it is difficult to see if the seal is seeping and I can guarantee that yours is, if it's reinstalled.

Erik Di Somma
2005 Quattroporte
1989 228 (past)
1985 Quattroporte III (past)
post #8 of 9 Old 03-21-2019, 01:18 AM

Hmm, the coolant just didn't leak out... When I pulled the hose off, I turned it upward a little, but it was no gusher.

The car is cooling fine and the fill reservoir is up to level. As to the seal, I took a good look at it and it's still good. I was worried and you are right, they should always be replaced. But I do a lot of different kinds of seals, this one was in good shape. And maybe the car is guaranteed to be leaking, but it's not. All dry down there. The error code cleared fine and hasn't returned. I'm going for another drive now, but I've already got close to 100 miles on it since the thermostat went in.

post #9 of 9 Old 03-21-2019, 02:07 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 817
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demery84109 View Post
Hmm, the coolant just didn't leak out... When I pulled the hose off, I turned it upward a little, but it was no gusher.

The car is cooling fine and the fill reservoir is up to level. As to the seal, I took a good look at it and it's still good. I was worried and you are right, they should always be replaced. But I do a lot of different kinds of seals, this one was in good shape. And maybe the car is guaranteed to be leaking, but it's not. All dry down there. The error code cleared fine and hasn't returned. I'm going for another drive now, but I've already got close to 100 miles on it since the thermostat went in.
OK, just keep an eye on it. The first replacement I ever did, I didn't realize that the seal didn't come with the thermo housing! I replaced with the old seal and it started leaking during the test run. I intentionally left the lower covers off just to be sure and thank god I did! I had to drive all the way to Orlando (1.5 hours) to pick up a lousy piece of rubber lol.

Erik Di Somma
2005 Quattroporte
1989 228 (past)
1985 Quattroporte III (past)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode