New Member looking at a 2007 QP5 - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-19-2019, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
New Member looking at a 2007 QP5

Hello all. I'm new to this forum, and new to the Maserati. I went to look at a 2007 QP (base model) with only 23K miles. It has the automatic transmission. It wasn't as pristine as I had expected for such low miles, but I am still interested in it, and have a couple of questions to help me decide whether or not to purchase. I've done most of my own mechanic work over the years and am no stranger around cars. I have even done engine swaps in BMWs. This will be my first Italian car.

Based on my prior research, I expected to see red valve covers, but these were blue. What is the significance between the blue and red valve covers? I believe this is supposed to have the 4.2L engine.

The driver's side sun visor is broken and will not stay up. Are there non-dealership places to purchase parts like this? Would the replacement be straightforward?

Most of the dash controls are sticky from what I think I've learned is due to heat affects of the manufacturer's finish. Has anyone here had experience with this and had a good solution (effective mild solvent and technique)?

There was a mild shimmy when I drove it (not a braking shimmy). The aftermarket rims have a few dents in them so I am hoping that fixing them or buying OEM rims will solve the shimmy. What is a good resource for OEM rims? (I have been doing some googling already).

I do plan to get a PPI done before I make an offer or decision.

Thanks much for taking the time to read this. I am hoping to become part of the Maserati family.

v/r,

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-20-2019, 12:01 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,420
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
The engine is a 4.2..Sun visor must come from dealer or find a used one(common problem)...You can search sticky buttons on here for that...The rims are probably the source of your vibration...Plenty of OEM rims available on EBAY....Do get a PPI for sure....Hope that helps...Jason

ASE Master Tech. 29 years experience
Ferrari, Maserati, Land Rover, & Jaguar technician.
Guru in Atlanta of Jaguar V12 & XJS cars.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-20-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] Enzo`s Atlanta View Post
The engine is a 4.2..Sun visor must come from dealer or find a used one(common problem)...You can search sticky buttons on here for that...The rims are probably the source of your vibration...Plenty of OEM rims available on EBAY....Do get a PPI for sure....Hope that helps...Jason

Thanks Jason. Big help.

I just read about some having the cam variators replaced. Is that a common issue? Are there other common issues with this model I should be aware of?

John

post #4 of 12 Old 06-20-2019, 12:34 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,420
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Use the search function...Lots of good info on here....J

ASE Master Tech. 29 years experience
Ferrari, Maserati, Land Rover, & Jaguar technician.
Guru in Atlanta of Jaguar V12 & XJS cars.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-20-2019, 02:57 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 85
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] Enzo`s Atlanta View Post
Surely blue cam covers equals wet sump equals 4.7?

Is it auto as in DS or full auto as in ZF?
post #6 of 12 Old 06-20-2019, 03:51 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 882
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Surely blue cam covers equals wet sump equals 4.7?

Is it auto as in DS or full auto as in ZF?
No, it's a 4.2 wet sump with a ZF.

Erik Di Somma
2005 Quattroporte
1989 228 (past)
1985 Quattroporte III (past)
post #7 of 12 Old 06-20-2019, 08:02 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 85
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikDiSomma View Post
No, it's a 4.2 wet sump with a ZF.
I stand corrected, said the man in the orthopaedic shoe......
post #8 of 12 Old 06-30-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Well, I decided to get the car (intro thread in the lounge). Thanks to Greg at Loudoun County Exotics for doing the PPI and taking the time to discuss it with me.

I removed the sun visor so I can drive two-handed while I wait for an estimate to replace it. There's a local wheel shop I plan to visit to see if they can fix the front wheels.

Looking forward to enjoying the Maserati life!

John
post #9 of 12 Old 07-05-2019, 01:55 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 107
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
John,

You’ll enjoy the car. I also have a 2007 Automatica and I’m about at 140K miles on mine and have owned for many years. If used like a normal car, they’re plenty reliable and in fact, dare I say probably more reliable than an equivalent 2007 S550 or 7-series because of fewer gadgets. Put good tires on it when needed, else the handling will be compromised and make sure to have it aligned at that time. Change the oil every 5K with full synthetic and keep up on routine items and the car will treat you right and if you’re not driving it regularly, keep it on a maintainer. Enjoy and congrats!
post #10 of 12 Old 07-06-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I really enjoy driving this car. Do you tend to drive it in auto or manual mode? Have you had to have the variators replaced?
post #11 of 12 Old 07-08-2019, 02:05 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 107
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
John,

As my car is a ZF Automatic, it’s always in AUTO mode 🙂 but I don’t use SPORT much at all because I don’t care for how long it holds the shifts when in that mode, although I do prefer the firmed up suspension setting it does go into. I guess no compromise however. I do use ICE mode nearly all winter to get the 2nd gear starts.

I run Goodyear Eagle F1 all-season tires but switch to Nokian Hakkapelitta snow tires around November 1 and leave them on through April 1 or thereabouts. I’m in Cincinnati but travel to Detroit frequently and even in the throes of winter, the car does just fine with the snow tires.

Variators were done at 45K miles. I’m about at 140K now and zero issues. Oil is changed every 5K miles with the Maserati/Ferrari specified Pennzoil Euro full syn 5W-40.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-08-2019, 08:48 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 247
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergolfalot View Post
Thanks for your words of encouragement. I really enjoy driving this car. Do you tend to drive it in auto or manual mode? Have you had to have the variators replaced?
Always in Sport mode, always manual shift.

My neighbors have ear plugs.

Hans.

2011 Quattroporte Sport GTS Grigio Granito
2015 Chevy Volt (don't laugh)

Past:
1975 Ferrari/Dino 308GT4 (1st car I ever bought)
2006 Impala SS LS-3
Too many Corvettes to count....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode