Overheating at idle - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 05-19-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Overheating at idle

I have an 2007 Quattroporte that overheats when its idling, but is fine when driving down the road. The fans are pushing air and I have checked the relays, bench tested them (successfully) then made sure they actually kick on when in the vehicle. 1st and 2nd stage fan relays both "energize" at least. So I am thinking I can rule out the two water temp sensors, fuses and relays.

I am confident the fans are getting power and are both blowing air. I am not however certain they are running "full speed". I do not really know how to test for that. I assume the 2nd stage fan relay is supposed to "kick it up a notch" on speed, but again, not really certain on that.

Hope someone is familiar with how this fan system works and maybe, is it possible the fan itself can just be failing / running slow? Wasnt sure if fans could even slow down to that extent where they would just go slow. Figured it would be all or nothing.

Also, if anyone has any insight as to where the resistor would be that I had seen mentioned by others, it would be a huge help. I cannot locate one (them?). Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 05-19-2019, 07:00 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,272
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
The fans have 2 speeds...You have the 2 relays in the engine compartment ...Google how to jump 4 prong relay..Jump both relays.Check that both fans run and have 2 speeds...You could also have a faulty thermostat...Jason

ASE Master Tech. 29 years experience
Ferrari, Maserati, Land Rover, & Jaguar technician.
Guru in Atlanta of Jaguar V12 & XJS cars.
post #3 of 38 Old 05-19-2019, 11:39 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 195
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
I've replaced the thermostat and both coolant sensors in under 2 hrs. I didn't have heating issues but a relevant check light. Parts are easily sourced & priced low. Give it a go, here's a pic of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190519-164308_Chrome_1558309438142.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	122935  

post #4 of 38 Old 05-20-2019, 12:00 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 402
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
When parked...engine idling....turn on the AC....do the fans kick on? Is there any debris blocking air flow through the radiator?
post #5 of 38 Old 05-20-2019, 12:12 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 68
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
So exactly how hot is it getting at idle?

2011 Quattroporte S, 1987 425i biturbo
post #6 of 38 Old 05-20-2019, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fromtheCouve View Post
So exactly how hot is it getting at idle?
It will climb, eventually into the red. Had that happen once and shut it off in a parking lot for the night. That was the first time I noticed it. It will, when warming up, heat to the 195 spot and stay stable for about 5 minutes at idle. Then it will eventually start to creep up.
post #7 of 38 Old 05-20-2019, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 cylinders View Post
When parked...engine idling....turn on the AC....do the fans kick on? Is there any debris blocking air flow through the radiator?
Yes the fans do come on with the AC going. Both do spin and pull the hot air into the engine bay. There is no visible debris or anything out of the ordinary.
post #8 of 38 Old 05-20-2019, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4porte View Post
I've replaced the thermostat and both coolant sensors in under 2 hrs. I didn't have heating issues but a relevant check light. Parts are easily sourced & priced low. Give it a go, here's a pic of mine.
I ordered a thermostat and gasket earlier today. I had purchased the sensors a while back and have those on hand but will wait to do them with the thermostat. Looks like you got the whole housing as well. I wasn't sure if you could just pop out the thermostat and replace it or if the whole housing was the thermostat? If that makes sense.
post #9 of 38 Old 05-20-2019, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nution101 View Post
It will climb, eventually into the red. Had that happen once and shut it off in a parking lot for the night. That was the first time I noticed it. It will, when warming up, heat to the 195 spot and stay stable for about 5 minutes at idle. Then it will eventually start to creep up.

Don't let it do that again...Most the the engines we replace in all makes is a overheated engine...Most shops will not fix overheated engines anymore for liability reasons...I would change the thermostat if the fans work on low and high speed...Thermostats can stick and malfunction ....Jason

post #10 of 38 Old 05-20-2019, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] Enzo`s Atlanta View Post
The fans have 2 speeds...You have the 2 relays in the engine compartment ...Google how to jump 4 prong relay..Jump both relays.Check that both fans run and have 2 speeds...You could also have a faulty thermostat...Jason
Ill try that and see. For what it is worth, I took an multi-meter to them. They do kick over and have 12v running through both eventually in the process. Though I didnt notice any audible increase in the sound of the fan.

I have tested it without AC running, and the fan eventually comes on, and also with AC from the start. Either way the fan is running, but not sure if its kicking into 2nd gear, so to speak. I had seen people mention a resistor(s?) on the fan(s). I am not able to eyeball one. Some other thread mentioned it being where the fan power connectors come into the fan housing, but I dont see anything there but the connectors. Also wouldn't really know what to do with the resistor if I got a hold of it. I suppose test for continuity, but past that I am not really sure. I also cant locate any part for a resistor on the fan. Maybe the fan unit is just a whole package and cannot get it in parts?
post #11 of 38 Old 05-20-2019, 01:37 AM

Jump the fan relays like I told you one at a time...You'll hear both low and high speed...On low speed you are running current through the resistor..check if you have 2 speeds from both fans..Jason

post #12 of 38 Old 05-20-2019, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] Enzo`s Atlanta View Post
Jump the fan relays like I told you one at a time...You'll hear both low and high speed...On low speed you are running current through the resistor..check if you have 2 speeds from both fans..Jason
Curious. Maybe I am just tired, but arent the relays supposed to have a constant 12v + coming in on one pin, even if the car is off? Because I can jump the stage 1 relay, when the car is off and the fan spins up. If I try the same on stage 2 relay, nothing. It also doesn't have any voltage going to it on any pin. Just want to clarify that before I keep fiddling with it, just in case my assumption is incorrect to start with. Mainly curious if I need to jump both relays at the same time, or when stage 2 comes in, stage 1 shuts off?
post #13 of 38 Old 05-20-2019, 02:12 AM

One at a time...join 30 to 87 and don't use a thin jumper...Jason

post #14 of 38 Old 05-20-2019, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nution101 View Post
Curious. Maybe I am just tired, but arent the relays supposed to have a constant 12v + coming in on one pin, even if the car is off? Because I can jump the stage 1 relay, when the car is off and the fan spins up. If I try the same on stage 2 relay, nothing. It also doesn't have any voltage going to it on any pin. Just want to clarify that before I keep fiddling with it, just in case my assumption is incorrect to start with. Mainly curious if I need to jump both relays at the same time, or when stage 2 comes in, stage 1 shuts off?
Ok the "MF4 Maxi 50A Red 2nd speed fans" fuse is blown. Wasn't earlier. Must have been due to my earlier efforts. Ill replace it and try again on that stage 2 fan.
post #15 of 38 Old 05-20-2019, 01:38 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 852
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Once the fuse is replaced, try to spin the fans freely with the engine off. When the fan bushings get old, they start to drag and that heats up the entire system and blows fuses and melt wires, etc., while making the car run hot. The fans (L&R) should both spin freely without any friction noises. The passenger-side fan typically fails first. All the ones I've replaced had a bad passenger-side fan.

Erik Di Somma
2005 Quattroporte
1989 228 (past)
1985 Quattroporte III (past)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode