Finally finished the DBW install - Page 2 - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 Old 05-11-2019, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Flipped the switch back to stock today. I need to wait till Monday for tech support as they are closed for the weekend. I'm pleased with the few miles I drove it, however needs a few bugs worked out.

Stay tunned

Last edited by socal4porte; 05-12-2019 at 01:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 Old 05-12-2019, 06:41 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 3,554
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanFulop View Post
I have my doubts about this... the more gas I give on clutch uptake, the higher goes the rpm during the uptake, which is going to seriously wear it out if you have a heavy foot on the gas from a standing start. The FD system has the opposite effect, somehow tricking the clutch into a faster uptake, rather than one with a higher rpm.
Doubts are good I think that's a bit of a simplistic view though. Clutches only wear when they are not fully engaged (i.e. locked together) or fully disengaged (i.e. there's a gap between driven and driving plates)

It's not hard to imagine a counter to your case where using just enough engine revs to cause the clutch to start to engage and then holding it there will cause significantly more wear than a higher gas, more rapid takeoff.

However the absolute wear will dependant on the acceleration applied and the degree of slippage that's occurring.

If your TCU (sans DBW) senses that your throttle is open high enough and the engine revs are high enough, then it will adopt the faster shift parameters.

FD rightly say they won't discuss the inner workings, so I have no idea how their map works, but I'm prepared to bet it doesn't tell the TCU that you'r just tickling the pedal

C

The Alfisti formerly known as Catman:
4.2 GT Automatic, 147 TS
post #18 of 24 Old 05-13-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikDiSomma View Post
I'm really curious to hear the feedback on the DBW install on the 05. I've driven every year many times and the 05 seems to need it the most.

If possible, try to comment on both the engagement time and the response time of the paddles. I'm thinking the response time is where you will feel the difference.
The engagement time between gears speeds up, however the response time from the point you pull the paddle to the time the gear starts its cycle feels the same. Currently removed the DBW for troubleshooting. Will reach out to FD today to solve my discrepancy.

post #19 of 24 Old 05-13-2019, 02:08 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 812
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmanv2 View Post
Doubts are good I think that's a bit of a simplistic view though. Clutches only wear when they are not fully engaged (i.e. locked together) or fully disengaged (i.e. there's a gap between driven and driving plates)

It's not hard to imagine a counter to your case where using just enough engine revs to cause the clutch to start to engage and then holding it there will cause significantly more wear than a higher gas, more rapid takeoff.

However the absolute wear will dependant on the acceleration applied and the degree of slippage that's occurring.

If your TCU (sans DBW) senses that your throttle is open high enough and the engine revs are high enough, then it will adopt the faster shift parameters.

FD rightly say they won't discuss the inner workings, so I have no idea how their map works, but I'm prepared to bet it doesn't tell the TCU that you'r just tickling the pedal

C
This is very true which is why takeoff is where 90% of your clutch wear occurs. Yes, reversing up a hill has the same affect, but we accelerate from a stop far more often than we climb hills in reverse.

And Sean, I've said this before on this forum concerning your car, when you give it gas, it should bite. It should not slip to the point you've previously described, into the 4K RPM range under heavy acceleration from a stop. This issue has nothing to do with your owning an early production car either.

In addition to PIS, there are other parameters that can be adjusted to remedy this. The older sofast3 setups are not as forgiving as the 3+ so a bit more attention needs to be paid to how the clutch is set up.

My point is that since the 2005 cars need the DBW the most (in my opinion), you may need to make some adjustments to the clutch settings to accommodate the shifting characteristics introduced by the DBW, right after the install. I can't speak from experience since I haven't yet installed it in mine, but I have driven many of these cars back-to-back and reviewed the parameters on each and small adjustments to the Sofast 3 cars make a bigger impact to the driving characteristics than the newer 3+ cars so in turn the positive effects of the DBW install may not be as consistent on the older cars without paying attention to how your NCR is set up at the time of install.

Erik Di Somma
2005 Quattroporte
1989 228 (past)
1985 Quattroporte III (past)
post #20 of 24 Old 05-13-2019, 02:25 PM

InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4porte View Post
The engagement time between gears speeds up, however the response time from the point you pull the paddle to the time the gear starts its cycle feels the same. Currently removed the DBW for troubleshooting. Will reach out to FD today to solve my discrepancy.
This is actually really good to know. I did a comprehensive review of the early 2005 and the late 2007 Sport GT, back to back, last year. I drove them to their limits and tested every shifting attribute. The weak side of the 2005 was the delay from the paddle signal to the actual shift. They improved on that in the 2007s, but I didn't like other improvements that were made, like the double-clutching, higher downshift revs, etc. The 2005s needed more throttle feathering to bite on slow takeoffs, so I'm wondering how the DBW install affects that on the older cars.

Other comparisons I made were with regard to suspension, which again there were pros and cons of each.

Erik Di Somma
2005 Quattroporte
1989 228 (past)
post #21 of 24 Old 05-13-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4porte View Post
This is actually really good to know. I did a comprehensive review of the early 2005 and the late 2007 Sport GT, back to back, last year. I drove them to their limits and tested every shifting attribute. The weak side of the 2005 was the delay from the paddle signal to the actual shift. They improved on that in the 2007s, but I didn't like other improvements that were made, like the double-clutching, higher downshift revs, etc. The 2005s needed more throttle feathering to bite on slow takeoffs, so I'm wondering how the DBW install affects that on the older cars.

Other comparisons I made were with regard to suspension, which again there were pros and cons of each.
I didn't get a chance to push the car to the higher rpm range as most of my testing was in the 3-5K range. The clutch engagement from a standstill did improve, which happens to be a concern for us F1 duo QP owners. I suspect the DBW performs better at or close to redline just like it does without. Over all there are improvements all around. Not sure when Ill get my issues resolved but looking forward to redline testing.
post #22 of 24 Old 05-13-2019, 05:34 PM

InnerCircle

Can you mention the bugs that you found that lead to your uninstalling it?

Erik Di Somma
2005 Quattroporte
1989 228 (past)
post #23 of 24 Old 05-13-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Can you mention the bugs that you found that lead to your uninstalling it?
Making sure I have the latest & correct updates as I bought it used from a non F1 Duo QP owner. Spoke with FD today and they reassured me they will take care of it swiftly. 👍
post #24 of 24 Old 05-17-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Before and after DBW install video as promised. I've yet to test at high rpms as I'm trying to establish a base. Again this is just testing shifts between 4k-5k rpm.

The first acceleration was before the DBW install, the night test is after. It feels a bit more responsive after the shift cycle commences. Over all I'm happy with the DBW, I notice the more I drive it aggressive, the more it adapts and evolves. I drove it another 15-20 miles today around the 101fwy canyons, & I must tell you. It dramatically improved. Ill need to make another video.

https://youtu.be/iU2vkkD9BqI

Last edited by socal4porte; 05-17-2019 at 06:56 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode