LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-23-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 811
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Keeping Your Maserati Affordable

In some recent posts, the subject of parts costs have come up quite a few times. So, now that I have close to 100K miles of driving and maintaining modern Maseratis under my belt, I'd like to share some tips that may help you SAVE SOME MONEY.

Maserati Parts Sources:
DEALERS - Dealers' prices are all over the charts. The same part number sold in two different dealers can and probably will be sold at entirely different prices. For example, when I called FM Palm Beach for a new set of electric fans, they quoted me $800 without the capacitor. I purchased the same set of fans from FM Central Florida for $404 with the capacitor! However, oil filters are only $25 in Palm Beach and $47 in Orlando (FM Central Florida). I called FM Central Florida for a new radiator last week and they quoted me $1,100. I made them an offer of $650 and they accepted and offered to rush it for $750. The advantages of using FM Central Florida is that their proximity to the Ferrari/Maserati distributing center is the best, so they can typically get parts within a day, should they not be in stock. As far as the best consistent price list I have found, that's at Wide World Ferrari in NY. Dean over there will give you a no-nonsense un-pricegouged price up front. So, if you're in NY, try Wide World. If you're not in their area, then call them first and have the local dealer price-match. THIS WILL SAVE YOU THOUSANDS.

FERRPARTS - I have used Ferrparts repeatedly over the past few years for both Maserati and Ferrari parts. The advantage is they are extremely friendly and will gladly talk to you and take orders over the phone. Their prices are typically the best of all the companies that deal direct-to-manufacturer. In other words, if you order from Italy, order from them. Their margins are tight and will honor all the prices on their website, regardless of whether or not they are in stock. The weakness is their organization. I have had someone forget to place my order once and a few times forget to send me a receipt. However, sloppy paperwork is a small price to pay for excellent customer service. I ordered all of my clutch components and F1 components from them and saved, literally, thousands.

RICAMBI AMERICA - Ricambi is very similar to Ferrparts in that they stock OEM parts and order from Italy from their website. The issue I have with them is they are a larger company with more established business processes and rules, so the connection is less personal and the prices are higher. Their invoicing/billing system and their quotes will always be on the mark, but I don't believe you have any negotiating leverage or flexibility in their prices, which are typically higher than Ferrparts. There may be exceptions, but this what I have observed. The advantage is that, should they have the parts in stock, they are on the east coast, which will benefit you if you're on the east coast.

EXOTIC AUTO RECYCLING - I wound up ordering my radiator from them last week. They price matched the $650 and offered to overnight it to the shop for $140, and they walked me though the options over the phone until it was shipped. EXCELLENT customer service. If you live on the west coast, I recommend you check with them if you need anything that Ferrparts does not have in stock.

Here's a recent comparison of costs variation and shipping options using my new, OEM radiator as an example:

- Order from FM Central Florida List Price $1,100 but will take $650. Will not send to different location from RDC, so I will need to pay over night shipping twice.

- Order from FERRPARTS - $404!! That's right. But, it's not in stock. I will have to wait 3 weeks to have it shipped from Italy.

- Order from Wide World - $650 but I will have to pay substantial shipping to me, then to the shop.

- Order from RICAMBI - I think it was around $800. That did not include shipping.

That's a range from $404-$1,100! This example is the case with MOST PARTS with both Maserati and Ferrari so don't be afraid to shop around and negotiate!

FINAL TIPS: Some parts, like brake pads, are repurposed from other cars. After using the factory Brembo packaged brakes for Maserati and aftermarket performance brakes (very popular on this forum but I don't want to single the manufacturer out), I matched the pads up with the same Brembo option on the Mercedes AMG. The brake pads were only $120 for fronts as apposed to $500 and included the Mercedes' extra anti-squeal backing plates. PERFECT! The best brakes I have used. This gave me the OEM performance for a price that was LESS THAN AFTERMARKET. They are factory Brembo without the squeal! The ML55 used the same brakes as the 2005 QP, however later years may cross-reference differently. Brembo deletes Maserati and Ferrari from their cross-reference list, so you'll need to match up the caliper design to the pad if you want to go this route.

People get real emotional about tires, so I'll just tell you what I do and why. I am running the Cooper Zeon 325-30-19s on the back and I have used various brand on the front. I can't see much difference in the front, brand to brand, however these cars suffer from a "skating" feeling in the rear when driving over sharp bumps when the tires are inflated to spec and these are the only tires I have had that eliminate that. Not to mention the width looks great and the tire height is to spec. The factory 285 tires are stretched when mounted on the 10.5" rim. Look at yours and compare the fitment to the front. You'll agree. These tires are only $165 each and I have had ZERO ISSUES. I burn them off every 5k miles with no dent to my budget! I get a solid 25K miles in the front, regardless of brand.

Hopefully this information helps some of the new owners with servicing their cars and proves to them that they have options.

Erik Di Somma
2005 Quattroporte
1989 228 (past)
1985 Quattroporte III (past)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-23-2019, 08:42 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow thanks a lot for sharing! Very helpful indeed!
post #3 of 9 Old 04-24-2019, 02:44 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,303
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Yeah I think I paid about $800 for my 285-width rears installed. They are Bridgestone run-flats.... I really want to roll with run-flats.

2005 Quattroporte
Fresno, CA

post #4 of 9 Old 04-24-2019, 05:11 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 3,554
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Nice post, sir

C

The Alfisti formerly known as Catman:
4.2 GT Automatic, 147 TS
post #5 of 9 Old 04-24-2019, 04:20 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 239
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote - Order from FERRPARTS - $404!! That's right. But, it's not in stock. I will have to wait 3 weeks to have it shipped from Italy.

LOL, Occasionally a customer would tell me a competitor had a cheaper price. I would ask, Why didn’t you buy it from them? Answer; “They we’re out of stock”. My reply was; “when we’re out of stock, we’re even cheaper”.

2013 GT Conv Nero Carbonio & Cuoio interior
2007 QP Exec. Nero Carbonio & Cuoio interior (Gone)
1967 Jaguar Roadster (long gone)
1968 Fiat 850 Spider (pure fun)
1960 Austin Healy 3000 (Last of the Hungry Ones)
post #6 of 9 Old 04-24-2019, 07:29 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 82
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
Fabulous post! Sticky worthy?
post #7 of 9 Old 04-24-2019, 08:23 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 239
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Thumbs up Sticky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead3121 View Post
Fabulous post! Sticky worthy?
I’ll second that. Just wondering if Formula Dynamics should be added, I just shopped an accelerator sensor and they had the best price. It arrived in 5 days brand new in a Maserati factory pkg. Jeff says he can be very competitive on any Maserati part.

2013 GT Conv Nero Carbonio & Cuoio interior
2007 QP Exec. Nero Carbonio & Cuoio interior (Gone)
1967 Jaguar Roadster (long gone)
1968 Fiat 850 Spider (pure fun)
1960 Austin Healy 3000 (Last of the Hungry Ones)
post #8 of 9 Old 04-24-2019, 08:51 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,303
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
What about Scuderia? I had a great experience with them, they are very helpful and transparent.

2005 Quattroporte
Fresno, CA
post #9 of 9 Old 04-25-2019, 04:44 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 3,554
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Ummm, already had sticky

C

The Alfisti formerly known as Catman:
4.2 GT Automatic, 147 TS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List