LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking to buy '08 GTS

Hi Members,
Long time reader, first time poster. I've always been a fan of the QPs, so I've gotten serious in my search for one. I've found a reasonably priced 2008 GTS with under 40k miles. I've got the Carfax and autocheck, all look good (window regulators were replaced under warranty). Overall the car is very clean and well cared for, but does show a "alarm failure" warning. Is this an indication of some issues I should watch out for? Are there other things I should inspect in more than normal detail? I'm not overly familiar with Maserati's, other than admiring from afar. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 10:36 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 47
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Pretty much the same stuff discussed in the thread below "Looking to buy a 2012 S. What to check?" Plus... since its an '08 it may be prone to the cam variator knock at start up. Or if it has the F1 Duoselect transmission it may be due for a clutch. Both of which are costly.

2011 Quattroporte S, 1987 425i biturbo
post #3 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 10:53 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 195
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
Frankly, I think buying a used exotic (quasi-exotic for the Maserati?) is a bit of a crap shoot. If the car was well treated and maintained, it's likely to give a lot of near-trouble free miles. If it was neglected, you may be in for a world of hurt. The problem is that a cursory inspection may not turn up some deferred maintenance issues. A nice polish job and good detail can give the impression of a well treated car, where in reality it may just be lipstick on a pig.

Anyway, I took a leap of faith. Bought what seemed to be a good car (2011 QP GTS), and so far it hasn't disappointed. It's definitely near oil change time, but hasn't burned a drop. Everything tight and works great - except some TPMS issues I'm working through at the moment.

Hans.

2011 Quattroporte Sport GTS Grigio Granito
2015 Chevy Volt (don't laugh)

Past:
1975 Ferrari/Dino 308GT4 (1st car I ever bought)
2006 Impala SS LS-3
Too many Corvettes to count....

post #4 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 11:20 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 377
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
aGkrass...if you like the 2008 Quattroporte GTS, you may want to cosider the 2009 and later Quattroporte Sport-GTS cars. I test drove 2 of the 2010 QP Sport-GTS cars and they were fabulous....with a sound to die for!
post #5 of 11 Old 04-10-2019, 02:42 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 51
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
What saved me, or at least gave me a better idea of what I was dealing with, was finding a place that works on these types of cars that will do a thorough inspection. It may cost you a couple hundred dollars, but it could save you thousands. I'm a newbie as well, but that's my 2 cents based on my recent experience.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-10-2019, 05:22 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,309
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Yeah, the description "well cared for" is contradicted by the presence of a strange warning that should have been addressed. My car is well cared for, which is why it doesn't have any warnings at all, or oil leaks, or anything broken or not working. When I bought it, it was not well cared for, but I bought it anyway because it was the best I could find easily. Sometimes you have to take a plunge, but be prepared to spend $5,000 or more to get it sorted out.

2005 Quattroporte
Fresno, CA
post #7 of 11 Old 04-10-2019, 05:40 AM

InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FliGuy View Post
What saved me, or at least gave me a better idea of what I was dealing with, was finding a place that works on these types of cars that will do a thorough inspection. It may cost you a couple hundred dollars, but it could save you thousands. I'm a newbie as well, but that's my 2 cents based on my recent experience.
This is always a good idea, but may not be possible in many circumstances. These cars are so rare that many people are buying them from 100+ miles away and don't have the ability to do this, or to make sellers do it for them.

2005 Quattroporte
Fresno, CA
post #8 of 11 Old 04-10-2019, 10:08 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 703
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanFulop View Post
This is always a good idea, but may not be possible in many circumstances. These cars are so rare that many people are buying them from 100+ miles away and don't have the ability to do this, or to make sellers do it for them.
I bought my car from 1100 mi away and had the guy bring it to the local dealer for a PPI. Cost about 400 but well worth it. I had a report of every single issue the car had before I flew down to buy it.

Sent from my Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk

Joel

Moderator for QP M139 Facebook page

1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4, 398 AWHP, 1 of 183, Gobs of power and performance, Space for 2

2016 Honda Pilot, Tons of space, seating for 8

2011 Yamaha FZ1, Lots of power and performance, no space

2007 Maserati Quattroporte Automatica. 1 of 141 in the USA in Bordeaux. Lots of style, space AND power!
post #9 of 11 Old 04-10-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 6
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you all for the responses. Based on the Carfax, the car spent it's first 7 years and 32k miles with one owner and serviced (of what was reported) at a dealer in St. Louis. The dealer was willing to talk about the history, basically the standard oil changes and a ton of tires. The most recent 4 years it's only been driven about 6k miles, serviced at a few dealerships in Florida (Mercedes, Ferrari) but neither of them will give me service records. My fear is buying it and having the cam variator issue. I'm not certain I can get the selling dealership to let me do a pre-sale inspection, as I'm trying to buy the car cheap through my neighbors access via Manheim. I can order an inspection at the time of purchase, which allows me arbitration and to back out if major concerns arise.

Can the alarm failure warning be a result of a dead battery? They also told me it had the radio code and they took it to the Ferrari dealership to get the radio reset. I'm assuming it sat untouched for a while and battery went dead.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-11-2019, 02:51 AM

InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWINTRBO View Post
I bought my car from 1100 mi away and had the guy bring it to the local dealer for a PPI. Cost about 400 but well worth it. I had a report of every single issue the car had before I flew down to buy it.

Not all sellers would be willing to do that (ask me how I know).

2005 Quattroporte
Fresno, CA
post #11 of 11 Old 04-12-2019, 12:52 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 703
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanFulop View Post
Not all sellers would be willing to do that (ask me how I know).
It's a longer story but the dealer sent someone to pick it up for free and I paid for the PPI.

Joel

Moderator for QP M139 Facebook page

1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4, 398 AWHP, 1 of 183, Gobs of power and performance, Space for 2

2016 Honda Pilot, Tons of space, seating for 8

2011 Yamaha FZ1, Lots of power and performance, no space

2007 Maserati Quattroporte Automatica. 1 of 141 in the USA in Bordeaux. Lots of style, space AND power!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode