BEWARE of the "Low Mileage" Maserati For Sale - Page 2 - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 Old 03-28-2019, 02:39 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
If the ownership service records are lacking, or carfax doesn't make sense, maybe it's be to just move on to the next one. The lack of a consistent story should be red flag.

Former '85 Biturbo E owner 25+ years ago.

Current cars: 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription | 2017 Jaguar XE R-Sport | 2012 Aston Martin Rapide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 Old 03-28-2019, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 3,266
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
The F1 cars even track how many miles are driven in each gear. It would take quite an app to make sure the math still works. I don't know about the auto boxes though.

LCDave
2006 Coupe CC Blu Nettuno Vintage with Forgestar wheels, FD: DBWEM & springs , BMC filter, SuperSprint De-Cat, custom cat delete headers, custom x-pipe with 100cell race cats, RRP valves, G&S Exclusive Granturismo front bumper
post #18 of 23 Old 03-28-2019, 08:13 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 158
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Ferrari does it "officially": Ferrari Admits To Knowingly Allowing Dealers To Change Odometers On Used Ferraris

And regarding how easy is to rollback an odometer, I found some EU statistics saying that almost 50% of used hand vehicles sold in Europe have the odometer rolled back. I'm amazed this isn't a widespread practice in US too.

post #19 of 23 Old 03-28-2019, 09:21 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,204
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
I'm not sure why it is not widespread...You can see I'm not very much up on it..I have not even had someone ask me in like 20 years...You have to remember our emissions test are annual and like I said Carfax has all the software people working with them allowing access to your vehicle info...I want to say that tampering with a odometer is a felony crime...You really don't want a felony on a job application so I'm pretty sure most people just don't try it...Jason

ASE Master Tech. 29 years experience
Ferrari, Maserati, Land Rover, & Jaguar technician.
Guru in Atlanta of Jaguar V12 & XJS cars.
post #20 of 23 Old 03-29-2019, 08:39 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 3,557
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
In the UK the mileage is recorded on each annual test. Publically available on a website. So you really need to want to change it and then have a really good excuse to explain why your current mileage is lower than the last recorded MOT (for example)

C

The Alfisti formerly known as Catman:
4.2 GT Automatic, 147 TS
post #21 of 23 Old 03-29-2019, 11:03 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanFulop View Post
I once looked at a 2006 Gransport with 48K miles that had a blank Carfax report showing no service.
My 07 was dealer serviced from new until 2014 and the Carfax had nothing but yearly registration renewals. I do have all the papers though.

Sent from my Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk

Joel

Moderator for QP M139 Facebook page

1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4, 398 AWHP, 1 of 183, Gobs of power and performance, Space for 2

2016 Honda Pilot, Tons of space, seating for 8

2011 Yamaha FZ1, Lots of power and performance, no space

2007 Maserati Quattroporte Automatica. 1 of 141 in the USA in Bordeaux. Lots of style, space AND power!
post #22 of 23 Old 03-29-2019, 11:27 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,204
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Carfax doesn't have access to the dealers software files...Just most independent shops and body shops...Jason

ASE Master Tech. 29 years experience
Ferrari, Maserati, Land Rover, & Jaguar technician.
Guru in Atlanta of Jaguar V12 & XJS cars.
post #23 of 23 Old 03-29-2019, 02:50 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 813
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Everyone gets their panties in a wad over mileage. Personally, it doesn't bother me. I've seen crappy low mileage cars and pristine high mileage cars. The last thing I want to do is reset my odo. I can't wait to hit 200K!

Oh and don't get me started on Carfax. It's horse$hit. I buy cars all the time and the vast majority of the "clean" Carfax cars I see have been hit and repaired. On the other hand, when someone backed out and nearly ran over my foot at Chipotle I called the cops and they arrested the person. Now, my Carfax shows an ACCIDENT AT THE INTERSECTION next to Chipoltle that day! All a cop has to do is fill out an incident report with your tag number and bye-bye Carfax.

If you like the car, look at the car, inspect the car, and make your choice. This relying on websites to tell you whether or not to buy a car is ridiculous.

Erik Di Somma
2005 Quattroporte
1989 228 (past)
1985 Quattroporte III (past)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode