2010 Quattroporte S 4.7L - fast idle - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-15-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
2010 Quattroporte S 4.7L - fast idle

So I have 72k miles on my Q. I changed the oil the other day, and air filter. I also tripped the alarm a few times and had to battery reset. Now I’m noticing the car vibrating quite a bit and it seems the idle went up causing the vibration. When I give it a rev, it comes back down and sits normally. Then a few minutes later it will do it again. I know it took over 9 quarts of oil as specified, no oil leeks. Everything otherwise went smoothly. I also had an engine light for my gas cap so I picked that up today and replaced it. Still running rough. Any thoughts? Did I put too much oil in? The dip stick level seems to be fine. I used 5w40 by the way. I only run 93 octain. Engine does not overheat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-15-2019, 11:02 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,212
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
I think you need to look at all the hoses attached to the air intake when you replaced the air filter..I think that is going to be your problem..Jason

ASE Master Tech. 29 years experience
Ferrari, Maserati, Land Rover, & Jaguar technician.
Guru in Atlanta of Jaguar V12 & XJS cars.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-16-2019, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Ok, good idea. I know i had a hard time getting the sensor plug off too. The side soft tubes on either side i noticed were kinda loose too, but they didn’t have clips or pipe clamps on them.

post #4 of 11 Old 03-16-2019, 12:28 AM

Pro tip...If you just worked on a car and it runs poorly or has a problem..You most likely caused it...Look back over your work..It happens...Jason

post #5 of 11 Old 03-16-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Totally agree. So I went back and the air filter box is together. The clams are on tight. The clamp to the intake is good. The sensor is plugged in, i took it off and back on. If I start without it my dash lights up like a Christmas tree. The only other things I did was unplug the battery to rest the alarm. I removed and replaced the oil filter. Removed the oil and replaced. I can’t think of anything else I touched. Everything looks right. No warning lights on dash. Still running rough at low RPM and idle. Did the battery reset something?
post #6 of 11 Old 03-16-2019, 04:44 PM

When you unhook the battery ...It clears throttle adaptations...When you reconnect battery...Use all 3 buttons on the key fob...Then put the key in the car and turn until position 2( dash lights up) let it sit for 30 seconds and relearn the throttle blade position then start the car and let idle for a few minutes...Try that....Jason

post #7 of 11 Old 03-17-2019, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Guess I’m going to need another key to do that. My trunk button is shot. Is there another way to put the car in that mode?
post #8 of 11 Old 03-17-2019, 03:03 AM

It is not a mode...I simply gave you a procedure for the key fob function..Follow the procedure I gave you previously..Jason

post #9 of 11 Old 03-22-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

I followed your advisement. Seems to be a little better. Idle is steady, but running ruff. I know plugged haven’t been changed in some time, according to records.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-29-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to report the issue is gone completely now. Turns out my battery was going dead, then finally died at low idle sitting for a few minutes. No sign of issue until last second. Thank you everyone for your help. I think everything helped get to the solution. Purchased a new battery and will post about that.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-29-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Battery Replacement 10’ QPS

So I was experiencing rough idle and ride at low RPM after oil/filter change and alarm going off for a while. Reset the car a few times. Finally not able to figure it out 100%, car dies after a few minutes in a parking lot. Got a jump. I researched what everyone had to say about Interstate batteries as well as my own. An Interstate dealer was a bit to far, so when I searched 2010 Maserati Quattroporte 4.7L S battery replacement. I was impressed that there were pages to specific batteries. One of which was to a site called batteriesplus.com. I’ve seen these stores from time-to-time, never though to visit. They listed 2 batteries actually made by Duracell. I figured I’d check it out, didn’t know Duracell made batteries for vehicles. View the image attached. These were the 2. I chose the higher end for $215 since it carried a 4 year warranty. I also got 10% off by ordering online. I got an email not long after that my battery could be picked up at my local store. I was on my way. Very simple process. They had it on the counter waiting for me. I even borrowed tools to install. Got the old battery out and placed them side-to-side, sure as shit the bodies were a match as well as the top and handles. Fit like a charm. I didn’t need to use the breather tube, new one didn’t have one. Also i dint bother crewing in the 2 holding screws. Car jumped to life. All the crazy lights started to go away, airbag, e brake, steering, rocket launcher. 2 days later my engine light is gone and rough idle is gone. Thought I’d share. Was a good experience and I like the 4yr warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C2C5FBB4-837D-4816-AC74-C300CD43D62C_1553896183349.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	585.9 KB
ID:	122119  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode