Priceless reactions - Maserati - Page 4 - Maserati Forum
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 58 Old 01-30-2013, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

InnerCircle
 
mowlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: London, UK
Maserati Life Posts: 2,554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by codesurge View Post
That's what the Ghibli is supposed to do, isn't it? Replace the current QP as the sportier sedan in the Maserati range?
I think that's the $100K question. I heard the Ghibli was going to be positioned against the BMW 5 series, not even against the Audi RS7 or BMW M 6 Series Gran Coupe. For me, as a current QP owner, that's a backward step. So those of us who don't want a massive limo or to move backwards to 5 series territory may be being lost as a customer segment to Maserati. We'll hang on to our QPs for a little and then look further afield.

2007 Quattroporte Sport GT Auto
FD DBW, FD ECM
mowlas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 58 Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 PM
 
codesurge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Maserati Life Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowlas View Post
I think that's the $100K question. I heard the Ghibli was going to be positioned against the BMW 5 series, not even against the Audi RS7 or BMW M 6 Series Gran Coupe. For me, as a current QP owner, that's a backward step. So those of us who don't want a massive limo or to move backwards to 5 series territory may be being lost as a customer segment to Maserati. We'll hang on to our QPs for a little and then look further afield.
The Ghibli I reckon will be a E63/M5/RS6 fighter - it's going against the top models in the E-segment, not your average 528i or E350.

Would you still consider that a backward step? If so, why?

'06 Maserati GranSport (Nero Carbonio)
'08 BMW E90 335i
'07 Alfa Romeo 147 (Sold)
codesurge is offline  
post #48 of 58 Old 01-31-2013, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator

InnerCircle
 
mowlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: London, UK
Maserati Life Posts: 2,554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by codesurge View Post
The Ghibli I reckon will be a E63/M5/RS6 fighter - it's going against the top models in the E-segment, not your average 528i or E350.

Would you still consider that a backward step? If so, why?
Are you kidding? Probably the same reason I am not in the M5 market right now. I would not think for even one second that the current QP is even in the same galaxy as the M5! The BMW Gran Coupe and Audi S7 have been specifically created for the style/aesthetic/avante-garde conscious in mind... and for people that appreciate owning something a little rarer, a little more special. Now if you compare these to the current QP, well even then, they are not in the same solar system...

Then there is the matter of shear physical presence... a significant part of the current QP's winning formula is its size and proportions. Along with that sublime styling, it creates a presence like few others. I'm not going to get that from an M5.

Lastly, but most importantly, it's because I say so... the QP is 100% emotional purchase. The Ghibli had better darn well tick those emotional boxes or I am walking... based on the 'less than' styling of the new QP... I am sceptical of the chances of that happening when Maserati are going after volume...

2007 Quattroporte Sport GT Auto
FD DBW, FD ECM
mowlas is offline  
 
post #49 of 58 Old 01-31-2013, 03:59 AM
 
russarch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Maserati Life Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowlas View Post
Are you kidding? Probably the same reason I am not in the M5 market right now. I would not think for even one second that the current QP is even in the same galaxy as the M5! The BMW Gran Coupe and Audi S7 have been specifically created for the style/aesthetic/avante-garde conscious in mind... and for people that appreciate owning something a little rarer, a little more special. Now if you compare these to the current QP, well even then, they are not in the same solar system...

Then there is the matter of shear physical presence... a significant part of the current QP's winning formula is its size and proportions. Along with that sublime styling, it creates a presence like few others. I'm not going to get that from an M5.

Lastly, but most importantly, it's because I say so... the QP is 100% emotional purchase. The Ghibli had better darn well tick those emotional boxes or I am walking... based on the 'less than' styling of the new QP... I am sceptical of the chances of that happening when Maserati are going after volume...
mowlas,

I think you've just revealed the crux of this issue - the fulcrum on which this "see-saw" debate has teetered over the past year. This is really the clash of two worlds and car sensibilities. Maseratis, by their very nature and DNA appeal to an irrational need - a visceral attraction - an emotional response. It's not always easy to justify owning one of these cars because they don't always tick the traditional boxes. At the same time, everyone has a practical need for functional car that gets them from Point A to Point B. All of Maserati's announced plans for growing the company seem to be responding to the more practical needs of luxury car owners rather than the passionate emotions of Maserati enthusiasts and exotic car owners. That's not to suggest that Fiat/Maserati's plans are wrong-headed or misguided, but they seem to be catering to the more practical, business side of the equation and that's making some people restless. The fact that most rich Chinese owners may prefer to be driven around in a limousine may make perfect business sense, but what about that concept is consistent with Maserati's motoring heritage, its pedigree and the qualities that excite people about the brand. Maybe nothing. I think it's this inherent clash between our emotional and practical car needs that drives this discussion month after month.

'13 Gran Turismo Sport (Grigio Granito/Nuovo Sabbia)
'07 Quattroporte Sport GT (Nero/Beige)
'67 Austin Healey 3000 MK III (Maroon/Black)
'61 Jaguar Mark II 3.8 (Black/Red)
'10 MINI Cooper S Clubman (dark silver/black)
russarch is offline  
post #50 of 58 Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 AM
 
ApriliaNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Palm Springs area
Maserati Life Posts: 1,015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by russarch View Post
mowlas,

I think you've just revealed the crux of this issue - the fulcrum on which this "see-saw" debate has teetered over the past year. This is really the clash of two worlds and car sensibilities. Maseratis, by their very nature and DNA appeal to an irrational need - a visceral attraction - an emotional response. It's not always easy to justify owning one of these cars because they don't always tick the traditional boxes. At the same time, everyone has a practical need for functional car that gets them from Point A to Point B. All of Maserati's announced plans for growing the company seem to be responding to the more practical needs of luxury car owners rather than the passionate emotions of Maserati enthusiasts and exotic car owners. That's not to suggest that Fiat/Maserati's plans are wrong-headed or misguided, but they seem to be catering to the more practical, business side of the equation and that's making some people restless. The fact that most rich Chinese owners may prefer to be driven around in a limousine may make perfect business sense, but what about that concept is consistent with Maserati's motoring heritage, its pedigree and the qualities that excite people about the brand. Maybe nothing. I think it's this inherent clash between our emotional and practical car needs that drives this discussion month after month.
Couldn't have said it any better!
ApriliaNut is offline  
post #51 of 58 Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

InnerCircle
 
mowlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: London, UK
Maserati Life Posts: 2,554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Russarch, you have a nice way of crystallising the situation. To your point, Maserati have effectively entered two new segments by stealth by cashing in on two lines of heritage:

- QP goes from Luxury Sports Sedan to Limo
- Ghibli (discontinued) goes from Luxury Sport Coupe to Executive class saloon

... just when they had revived the marque in shape of the current QP and then the GT.

Fellas, let's not kid ourselves on what the E segment is about.

2007 Quattroporte Sport GT Auto
FD DBW, FD ECM
mowlas is offline  
post #52 of 58 Old 01-31-2013, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
 
Sunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Miami
Maserati Life Posts: 1,425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Several elements so far point to the fact that the Ghibli might actually be the QP replacement (the name QP being switched to a new model/limousine): same size, engines (big new V8 included), style (Michael Adler saw a few pictures and said it looked great).

If Fiat considers the current QP to be 5/E competitors, then we all know it's not accurate. Current QP is in a world of its own, it stirs emotions like few other cars.

I'm going to see the new 2014 QP tomorrow (invitation) and will ask questions about the Ghibli when I meet with the officials.

17 Ghibli S - 17 Range Rover Supercharged - 14 Cadillac CTS (gone) - 12 BMW 535 (gone) - 07 Quattroporte ZF (gone) - 06 Audi A8L (gone)
Sunshine is offline  
post #53 of 58 Old 01-31-2013, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

InnerCircle
 
mowlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: London, UK
Maserati Life Posts: 2,554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks Sunshine.

2007 Quattroporte Sport GT Auto
FD DBW, FD ECM
mowlas is offline  
post #54 of 58 Old 02-01-2013, 02:22 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Maserati Life Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
Several elements so far point to the fact that the Ghibli might actually be the QP replacement ...I'm going to see the new 2014 QP tomorrow (invitation) and will ask questions about the Ghibli when I meet with the officials.
Please let us know if you think the new 2014 QP is narrower than your M139, I think it is, but without a tape measure, its all speculation. I was told by the dealer that a larger QP "limo version" may come out in a couple of years. The new 2014 is definitely still a sport sedan, low and sleek, longer yes, with fuller trunk and fold down split rear seat, but in my estimation, narrower in the cab. Let us know your thoughts, maybe measure between door posts the interior width. If so, the Ghibli will be a true compact.
neptuno239 is offline  
post #55 of 58 Old 02-01-2013, 12:28 PM
 
russarch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Maserati Life Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neptuno239 View Post
Please let us know if you think the new 2014 QP is narrower than your M139, I think it is, but without a tape measure, its all speculation. I was told by the dealer that a larger QP "limo version" may come out in a couple of years. The new 2014 is definitely still a sport sedan, low and sleek, longer yes, with fuller trunk and fold down split rear seat, but in my estimation, narrower in the cab. Let us know your thoughts, maybe measure between door posts the interior width. If so, the Ghibli will be a true compact.
I think if you look closely at this car, particularly some of the road test videos I saw, this is not the same QP in terms of its balance, handling and general sportcar stance. It doesn't appear to handle like a sport sedan. Now there are trade offs of course - it's quicker, faster and better appointed but we'll find out soon enough as people start to test this vehicle and have an opinion.

'13 Gran Turismo Sport (Grigio Granito/Nuovo Sabbia)
'07 Quattroporte Sport GT (Nero/Beige)
'67 Austin Healey 3000 MK III (Maroon/Black)
'61 Jaguar Mark II 3.8 (Black/Red)
'10 MINI Cooper S Clubman (dark silver/black)
russarch is offline  
post #56 of 58 Old 02-01-2013, 12:45 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Maserati Life Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Good point, I agree, we are all anxious to drive the new QP. But I don't think it's the limo some have referred to. The rear seating is tight, with a poor fifth middle. And the generic tail or "rear fascia" does not evoke the elegance of a limo or any exotic for that matter. If the pricing is as I've been told, $99Kusd for the V-6, it may just be a homerun for Fiat.
neptuno239 is offline  
post #57 of 58 Old 02-01-2013, 02:07 PM
Moderator
 
TravisJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Maserati Life Posts: 5,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think the "limo" label used on this site is misleading. Just slang for a slightly extended wheelbase to compete with other flagship luxury sedans. The word "limo" evokes images of a car much bigger than competing flagships.



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

https://www.instagram.com/revtravis/

(SOLD) 2004 Coupe Cambiocorsa, Rosso Mondiale/Nero
Larini mufflers & X-pipe, Sport cats, FD sport springs, FD DBWEM, BMC air filter, FD brake pads
TravisJ is offline  
post #58 of 58 Unread 07-09-2019, 08:22 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Maserati Life Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
2015 Maserati Quattroporte GTS reaction

https://www.maseratilife.com/forums/...1&d=1562660391

The current gen QP is still a supercar sedan. 100kg lighter than the previous gen, at 1900kg kerb weight. Plus 530ps and 710nm torque.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66586150_2205637973059610_8800163105016381440_n.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	123739  

Last edited by lambo5321; 07-09-2019 at 09:21 AM.
lambo5321 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










User Tag List




Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome